“Nothing special”

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Hatfield, United Kingdom
“Nothing special”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We ate here on a business trip. The food was pretty average, although the service was good. The food did not have the vibrancy of flavour I was expecting. It is not expensive.

I don't think I will come back.

• Visited January 2013

Ottawa, Canada
“Very Good Flavours”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Cons:
There were cold spots in one of the meals I hope it was not microwaved.
Rice and drink refills cost extra. Slow service at a timmed 27min wait for the main meal to arrive.
Pros:
Spring Rolls were the best I ever had and the flovours of the main meal was excellent. Nice and quiet atmosphere. I will visit this place again as the food was great.
They do have a take out menu available.

• Visited October 2012
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Awesome Thai”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Three of us went to Baan Thai last night before a show at Centrepointe Theatre. We made a reservation, which is highly advised. All of the food was amazing. I have a nut allergy so had to stay away from the Pad Thai and chose instead Gaeng Kua Supparod (pineapple & shrimp curry) - it was delicious. My mom and sister kept stealing the curry from my dish. Mom had bar-b-q duck and the mango salad. Both loved the salad. My sister chose Gaeng Keaw Warn Pak with Tofu. The restaurant was busy but the service was efficient and friendly. I will definitely take my husband back so he can try too! I did notice a lot of take out traffic but it was not disruptive. Would recommend for a lovely meal!

Toulon, France
“Pretty little place with good value”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We visited this place on a whim as we were in the area. Baan Thai is a quaint little place in a strip mall. Decor is definitely muted and they do turn down the lights as the evening darkens. Tables are probably a bit tight, and there are no booths or plush seating, just chairs and tables. However the colours are vibrant and the tablecloths are beautiful.

Being relatively new to Thai food, we asked for quite a bit of help understanding the menu and choices. We had two servers, both were helpful and friendly, but the one's english was better than the other. We settled on the Dinner for two - Vegetable spring rolls (#4 on the menu), Hot and Sour Soup with chicken (#10), Shrimp with Cashew Nuts (#27), and Beef Curry (#19). This was followed with Lemongrass tea.

While we were very happy with the meal, and it was served expeditiously, we felt it could have been better. The restaurant was relatively empty, but even at that, we had to wait on the server at times. Remember to ask for a spoon for your soup before the server leaves, it might be a while before she comes back.

The spring rolls were hot and flavourful, the plum sauce was very, very sweet. It looked almost like pure honey. The soup was a standout. Not too spicy, plenty of mushroom and chicken, we really liked the flavour, however the chicken was a bit tough and stringy. The beef was nice, the curry wasn't overly spicy, but the beef was tough and the whole dish was quite a bit sweeter than we liked. Not really sure why it didn't taste right.... perhaps our lack of experience? The lemongrass tea wasn't finished, although there was nothing wrong with it I would have preferred green tea or something else given the choice.

In all, I would recommend this place. Despite the minor shortcomings we were both very pleased with our meal.

Ottawa, Canada
“Authentic flavours, quaint restaurant”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Great restaurant, buried away along Centrepointe drive. Friendly staff, authentic flavours. So far our favourites have been Tom Kha Gai, Gaeng Garee Gai (YUM!), Pad Khing, Guay Teau Lad Na, Kaow Pad - and of course their Pad Thai is near-perfect.
They also do delivery and takeout. So far only 1 bad experience with takeout where it took 45 minutes longer than expected, but other than that it's been fine.
Often gets crowded, even mid-week, so show up a bit early for dinner or call ahead.

• Visited August 2012