“Cool spot”

Ranked #4 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Ottawa
Nashville, Tennessee
“Cool spot”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Cool spot in a good location in Ottawa. Right next to the market area, and not far from the river and the Quebec side of the capital region, or from Parliament Hill and the Canal. The hotel staff at the sister hotel checks one in, and they are all very friendly.

Room Tip: All rooms the same.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Barefoot Hostel is a great place to stay!
There was a living room and simple kitchen on the first floor. Everything was clean and comfortable in the hostel. There were free computers to use and sofas to relax on!

The most amazing thing about this hostel is the location! Most of the attractions are within walking distance! And there is a supermarket a min's walk away!

They provide almost everything you need in a hostel.

Great one!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My experience(s) at the barefoot hostel has been very satisfying. I have been in difficult situations. I just love the place and the swiss hotel. I sat out in the back porch with a new friend, I called Joe Fresh- a grey and black tabby cat. I need my own place somehow yet it was great to be with people and share coffee and sweep the floor somestimes. I was treated like family and enjoyed the showers. More like a shared house than a hostel. Robin M. Klein

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Robin K
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This was my first hostel experience. Very clean, very well maintained, and quiet. The hostel is also very well located - 5 minute walk to a direct bus to the airport, 5 minutes from the thriving Byward Market, about a 15 minute walk to Parliament Hill, and a 30 minute walk to Rideau Hall, the War Museum, and the Museum of Civilization.

This is not a party hostel.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank crr243
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had read good reviews about this hostel and was not disappointed! Must be the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in. The owner who checked me in/out was absolutely lovely, very friendly, very helpful and made me feel welcome. The communal living space was very homely, comfortable sofas, PCs and a huge TV. It felt more like a 'home' than a hostel, I guess because there is no 'on-site' staff as such - they are based in the hotel next door. The rooms were an ok size, not the biggest, but there are lockers and each bed has a personal shelf. The bedding was extremely comfortable and the showers huge! I stayed during a lovely sunny summer week so myself and my friends made use of the fab BBQ in the garden - a great touch! I would definitely stay again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Bio_Traveller
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I would like to thank the owner for this great experience, almost lost hope in canadian hostels...

We arrived in late afternoon, went as written on the note at the door to the swiss hotel, picked up the key cards from a wonderful kind and friendly receptionist and even got tips for Canada day what to see and where to go.

Entering the hostel itself, a cosy livingroom is welcoming you, with a small kitchen attached. Most amazingly 2 really comfy couches, 2x 21” computer and even a 51” (?) flatscreen!
While watching tv in the evening the owner of the hotel and hostel came over and brought fresh flowers for the table – never had that before in any hostel..
4 reasonable sized rooms with a fan, locker and a design bathroom.. which hostel has a glass sink and a shower where you can dance in? before I forget – it was clean!

When checking out they locked away my valuables in the office while I went shopping to the 5 minutes away shopping mall..!
But bring your credit card to check in, this is great and protects guests and owner, no people on hostel blacklists can enter there..

Thanks for making this a great Canada Day in Ottawa! Greets from Montreal!

Room Tip: all rooms are about the same, with fan and so.. friendly people as well
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ronald B
vancouver
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We dont all have a credit card,
with a place called Barefoot Hostel you would think that cash and proper ID would be sufficiant
but nooo
so the Hell with them, go somewhere else.
The place is ugly and smells, crack heads outside the front door

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dosuncampdr
, Manager at Barefoot Hostel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
We regret having had to turn you away because of your not having a credit card. Although there are other hostels in the city which do not require a credit card to make a reservation, this is one of our policies, as we state on our website. We are especially vigilant about this as the hostel is mixed dormitory style and the security and comfort of our guests is paramount. We are sorry you were mislead by the name of our hostel, the security standards we apply at the Barefoot are the same for its sister business, the Swiss Hotel, a four-star hotel. We are also sorry to hear that you found Ottawa smelly - if you had had the opportunity to stay with us, you would see we apply our hotel's cleanliness standards to the hostel as well, which provides some respite from unfortunate urban odors, and we also tend a garden for the guests, which is quite sweet-smelling at this time of year.

Again, we are sorry we could not check you in, as per our policy.
Artem