“You won't be disappointed”
Review of Talay Thai

Talay Thai
Ranked #293 of 2,767 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Gatineau, Canada
“You won't be disappointed”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I would love to find a little hole in the wall place that doesn't break the bank, but also doesn't taste like mediocre takeout. Unfortunately, I am yet to find such a place in Ottawa, so restaurants like Talay are where I have to go to find my Thai fix (and it ain't cheap!)

The physical restaurant is clean with simple but smart decor. You could go with a date, a friend, or your family - just a general all-rounder. The servers were friendly, attentive, but did not burden us with unnecessary banter :)

Although everything we ordered was delicious, we were not completely wowed. I don't think that the chef is to blame however because everything looked as it ought to be compared to what I have eaten in Thailand. The main issue was that it felt like everything had been slightly toned down for the average Ottawa customer. I love the salty/sour/spicy/sweet intensity of Thai food, but my taste buds weren't dancing as they normally would be. Some things could be easily fixed however. The next time I go there I will definitely tell them to up the heat in my dishes.

There were several HUGE positives though. The Thai Iced tea was fragrant and deliciously sweet as it ought to be, the seafood good quality (not rubbery!!!), and the quality of beef surprisingly tender. I will definitely go back on special occasions - tax refund was the excuse this time!

• Visited April 2013

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Service great, food yummy but not memorable”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Day two in Ottawa found me attempting to avoid a fast food and/or pub dinner. Based on TripAdvisor reviews I thought I would give Talay Thai a try since it was a relatively short walk from my hotel. Overall, the place is quite nicely decorated and the staff was nice. Ordered hot/sour soup to start then yellow curry with a side of sticky rice for dinner. Soup was spicy and tasty and my ordered entree was pretty good too. My only comment would be that the curry seemed overly sweet, but that may be a personal preference issue. I do however take issue with the two little grape tomatoes and crispy onions that topped the curry. Neither really had no place in the dish. Overall good food and attentive service but not memorable.

• Visited March 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great food at a great price”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We arrived late at our accommodation when visiting Ottawa this weekend and were directed to this little restaurant by the owner. We were delighted to discover a real gem - fantastic food, friendly service and a lovely atmosphere. We had a great time and would definitely go back. If you like thai food you won't be disappointed by the menu. The green thai curry was delicious - really aromatic and better than most I've tasted! We also had a chicken stir fried meal which I can't remember the name of but again, the flavours were beautiful and I can only describe it as delicious. We would recommend wholeheartedly.

• Visited February 2013
canada
“Just WOW”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Every bite eaten was a little taste of Thai heaven. Everything is prepared and presented with care. The ingredients were authentic and fresh and the flavors were explosive yet subtle.
We all enjoyed our meals from the drinks all the way to dessert. I highly recommend the little extras on the menu like the Thai iced tea and the coconut creme brulee.

The decor was tasteful and the atmosphere warm.

BONUS: The chef is Thai

• Visited February 2013
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Just a step away from Bangkok”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I spent 3 years in Thailand and this has been one of the closest to real Thai I've tasted abroad. The staff were all Thais and courteous. The food came fast and was very tasty. Has bits own parking and it's close to the 417 making it vary handy to reach and to park.