“Delicious vegan menu in Ottawa!”
Review of ZenKitchen - CLOSED

ZenKitchen
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Ottawa, Canada
“Delicious vegan menu in Ottawa!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

It is so nice to have a higher-end vegan dining option in Ottawa for special occasions.
My favourites from the dinner menu are the fantastic Thai-inspired lemongrass curry and the Raw Special (a filling pumpkin seed burrito full of flavours and textures, with sides of salad, sauerkraut, kale chips and house pickles).
There were some new tapas options on the menu this past weekend, but the menu has largely been the same on my last few visits. There are many soy-based meals, but the staff is very accommodating to soy-free, gluten-free and other dietary requests.
The desserts have been quite delicious when I've tried them, but I've usually been so satisfied from the meal that I opted to skip dessert.
The brunch is great too, especially when they have live music.

• Visited April 2013

Vancouver
“Delicious and Great atmosphere”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Don't ask if they have cow's milk for your coffee! ;)
Seiten entree was very good. Nice selection of wines as well.

Visited February 2013
Canada
“Superb alternative dining”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Vegan, gluten-free in many cases, tasty and so diverse. This is not inexpensive, but it is SO interesting. Provides a nice alternative to those looking for fresh, gourmet, local vegan dining - great for a splurge or special night out. The atmosphere is lovely - interesting art on the walls, and the display changes regularly. The wee tastes offered as apps or desserts are delightful - white bean dip on crostini, or mini orange truffles for dessert - delicious! We all know that really good food costs money, but Zen makes it worthwhile.

• Visited February 2013
“Good but not great.”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went for my wife's birthday with our three children. Early rez meant seated quickly and no issues with service whatsoever, however the food didn't live up to the hype.

We had four appetizers (Plantain fries, perogies, "ceasar", and beat salad). The beat salad was the highlight, the caesar was really not good and well, perogies and plantain fries were good but nothing special.

For entrees we had three different ones including ravioli, and two I can't remember the names of ... general feeling was overly greasy for my wife (a mushroom dish), overly sauced (and sweet) vegetable ravioli, and very dry (and boring) mexican bean patty that I ate over rice with guacamole and salsa with vegetables and (I think) protein substitute.

We are not vegan or pure vegetarians but we do eat a lot of vegetarian meals - honestly my wife makes 10 dishes that put the best here to shame. Not to be too hard on the place it was definitely passable quality - served hot and with good ingredients. The soy hummus served with the bread was the highlight of the night and I'd love that recipe! Yummy.

We skipped dessert and picked up coffee across the street at the Daily Grind cafe (which I highly recommend!). Overall we didn't hate it but won't be coming back!

P.S. One final comment - their online reservation system was really well done! More restaurants should use this system!!!

• Visited February 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“What a treat.”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

A bit on the pricy side, but well worth every penny.
The service is respectful and calm. The ambiance clean and welcoming. It is an interesting menu that begs me to return. The food was mouth watering , perfectly spiced, and fresh
The wine pairing was delightful. It is the type of meal that you think about for days. I highly recommend this restaurant for cozy conversation and a memorable meal.

• Visited November 2012