“Vegie heaven, and I'm a convert.”
Review of ZenKitchen - CLOSED

ZenKitchen
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Ok, I'm not ready to give up meat, but if the Zen Kitchen could cater the rest of my life I'd give it serious consideration. What chef Caroline did with every dish we had tonight was amazing. The small old house on the edge of Chinatown was packed, but the service was attentive and pleasant. The manager and chef made regular appearances to chat with customers. Interesting beers on tap and a thoughtful wine list focusing on Ontario's best. Zen Kitchen has just vaulted to my local top-five list.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Things did not start the greatest with our "new" waitress however, owner came out to relieve her quite quickly. Food was mediocre and dessert was... avoidable. Not sure why they have won so many awards as the food was bland and some flavorless. No big desire to go back anytime soon.

1  Thank BIGtraveller66
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Yeah... Most people who we told our story to were laughing at us. The evening we went for dinner at Zen was because we felt like Asian food and wanted to encourage the owner that advertise in one of the publications we read. We walked right in without knowing that the very small menu catered to vegetarians: surprise, surprise for 2 carnivores! Well, since the staff was so great and that we never shy away from a new culinary experience we stayed and both of us had a very tasty and healthy meal. We raise our hats to the chef that creates those dishes.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family is not vegan but we were with my son's girlfriend who is, so we decided to try this. My husband and son, who both love their meats, were very surprised...each dish was nicely presented, nicely sized and seasoned very well. So well in fact that it was not noticeable that there was no meat or cheese in the meal. Would I recommend this restaurant...yes, but be prepared to spend a little more than you would normally. I would suggest reservations as the location is quite small.

Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

I am so glad I found this in my guide book that recommended ZenKitchen. I am not a vegan but often choose to eat vegan when I'm travelling and this restaurant did not disappoint. Vegan or in this case Zen food can be really bland and unimaginative but Caroline the chef and owner of this place really spices things up. Amazing combinations and ideas. I had the beetroot taster starter and it had a tofu ricotta, so cool! My main was ok but very healthy and I couldn't resist ordering a dessert! Had the lemon tart, so refreshing and beautifully presented! I need to add that Caroline and the crew were so attentive and the service impeccable! Well done ZenKitchen! If ever I'm back in Ottawa I will be seeing you again :-)