“Much to learn that is new. But satirical comedy could be used to talk about this place”

Royal Canadian Mint
Montreal to Ottawa Day Trip
Ranked #13 of 266 things to do in Ottawa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Producing coins since 1908, this excellent collecting resource features gold, silver and platinum coins commemorating Canada's heritage.
Akron, Ohio
271 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 215 helpful votes
Reviewed July 28, 2013

It was difficult for me to keep a straight face and an empty pocket book or wallet while visiting this place. People who travel to this city are part of a special group of human beings in the first place. I imagine that for people traveling on a tight budget a visit to the Royal Canadian Mint might have extra meaning. Do you think about tipping the guide? Did Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy do a film about personal finances? If not, they missed a chance to ridicule society. Can you imagine what the Marx Brothers would have done with a film about the mint? I do not know if coin collectors are drawn to this place or not. Maybe stamp collectors like it for different reasons. Technology makes viewing the entire coin-making process much more interesting and fascinating. Seeing so many details concerning the making of coins is a precise and full look at the process to be sure. While the Royal Mint is something to see while walking along Sussex on the way to the larger National Gallery of Canada, there is something on its own merit for staying there and taking a tour. Smaller groups can ask more questions. You must slow down the guide who might want to speak fast and get the crowd out of the mint in as little time as needed to see the entire process. It might be wise to make a reservation but choose your time according to the expected crowd size and the time of day. The process of making coins did interest me. The crowds sometimes get a loud speaking guide to disturb others. Satire went through my mind as I watched the making of coins. How does one watch such a process or display during world wide recession with a straight face? Money charged for making the tour is too much. It is not easy to spend money on food in the mint or near bye. I believe that children, misers, and spend thrifts would find this visit most interesting. As well as people who hoard money in piggy banks. It is difficult to keep a level head about this place if you cut and use coupons for shopping trips to the grocery store and elsewhere. Phrases such as "deep pockets" carry additional meaning for me when I watch the coin-making process. How does a visit her change your attitude on giving your children an allowance? I thought about the exchange rate. I also thought about coins to be placed in parking meters. Today's world impinges on my thinking as I re-think and recall my visit there. Lunch money has special meaning too. What about the phrase "small potatoes"? Two visits here before income tax deadlines might give people a distorted vantage point for looking at their personal finances. You might take a different look at your "piggy bank". I do recommend that you visit the place to learn what is fascinating about what goes on in the back rooms of society. Do it before you go on a shopping spree. For me passing the street pan-handlers found in many urban centers now is difficult and painful. I will agree that it is good for many people to see not just coin collectors. Maybe the tour goes too fast and is too short. Educational value is enormous. Whether or not a visit here will turn every third visitor into studying economics I do not know for sure but there is a connection for me.

Visited October 2012

• Vietnamese first
Guelph
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Great Tour for Coin Collectors”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Excellent value tour price ( around $12) for whole family. Would like to thank Ming for being our tour guide and explaining all the details in Canadian history with minting. My young son ( and the family) who is a coin collector found it very interesting and educational. Was nice to try to lift a solid bar of gold at the end of the tour! Only dissapointment was the gift shop. There didn't seem to be much selection as you can get at the local post offices.

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great location, bad tour”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My family visited the Mint on our vacation to Ottawa last year. There was a tour that cost 6 dollars for each person. The tour was bad, because the tour guide was very quiet. There was a French tour behind us, and that guy was VERY loud. We could barely even hear our guide! Other than that, the place was great! The gift shop was really nice and trying to lift the gold bar was cool and fun. It was just a little hard to get past the tour thing.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Noah S
Barrie, Ontario
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Good for anyone to see, not just coin collectors.”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The whole process of making the coins, from the melting of the metal, to the cutting-out of the blanks, right up to the stamping and buffing, are all on display here. You can see the process live through the viewing windows overlooking the manufacturing floor, or on the video screens at several locations on the tour.
We arrived just before the 10:00am tour on a Friday, paid the entry fee, and went on the tour right away as there were only six people in total there for the tour. I was surprised at how much my sons (9 and 5) absorbed and got out of the tour, and I was amazed at some of the things I learned as well. It was especially enjoyable to see the mint in action that day, and then have the opportunity to ask questions about what we were seeing. Our guide made a point of taking her time since there were so few people on the tour, which is unusual. The following tour (11:00am) had at least 20 people, so perhaps the lesson is to either make a reservation, or come for the first tour of the day.
Arrival to the end of the tour is about 45 minutes, so depending on how long you take in the gift shop (where you can feel what it's like to pick up a gold bar), visitors should probably budget about an hour. Parking is available it lots on nearby streets about a block or two away.

1 Thank nmew
Edmonton, Canada
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Interesting fun”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We both really enjoyed this part of our trip. This is the location where they make all of the collector coins. It is better to go during the week because the machines are actually running and you get to see coins being made. It is cheaper on the weekend because the machines are not running. I think we only paid $6 each. The tour is about 45min-1 hour long. Our tour guide was informative and enthusiastic about coins! At the end you can hold and take pictures with a 28 lb bar of gold worth around $700,000, that was pretty neat!