“Great Tour for Coin Collectors”

Royal Canadian Mint
Ultimate Ottawa Tour
Ranked #15 of 254 things to do in Ottawa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Producing coins since 1908, this excellent collecting resource features gold, silver and platinum coins commemorating Canada's heritage.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Excellent value tour price ( around $12) for whole family. Would like to thank Ming for being our tour guide and explaining all the details in Canadian history with minting. My young son ( and the family) who is a coin collector found it very interesting and educational. Was nice to try to lift a solid bar of gold at the end of the tour! Only dissapointment was the gift shop. There didn't seem to be much selection as you can get at the local post offices.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,063)
All reviews
in 37 reviews
"for sale"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My family visited the Mint on our vacation to Ottawa last year. There was a tour that cost 6 dollars for each person. The tour was bad, because the tour guide was very quiet. There was a French tour behind us, and that guy was VERY loud. We could barely even hear our guide! Other than that, the place was great! The gift shop was really nice and trying to lift the gold bar was cool and fun. It was just a little hard to get past the tour thing.

1  Thank Noah S
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The whole process of making the coins, from the melting of the metal, to the cutting-out of the blanks, right up to the stamping and buffing, are all on display here. You can see the process live through the viewing windows overlooking the manufacturing floor, or on the video screens at several locations on the tour.
We arrived just before the 10:00am tour on a Friday, paid the entry fee, and went on the tour right away as there were only six people in total there for the tour. I was surprised at how much my sons (9 and 5) absorbed and got out of the tour, and I was amazed at some of the things I learned as well. It was especially enjoyable to see the mint in action that day, and then have the opportunity to ask questions about what we were seeing. Our guide made a point of taking her time since there were so few people on the tour, which is unusual. The following tour (11:00am) had at least 20 people, so perhaps the lesson is to either make a reservation, or come for the first tour of the day.
Arrival to the end of the tour is about 45 minutes, so depending on how long you take in the gift shop (where you can feel what it's like to pick up a gold bar), visitors should probably budget about an hour. Parking is available it lots on nearby streets about a block or two away.

1  Thank nmew
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We both really enjoyed this part of our trip. This is the location where they make all of the collector coins. It is better to go during the week because the machines are actually running and you get to see coins being made. It is cheaper on the weekend because the machines are not running. I think we only paid $6 each. The tour is about 45min-1 hour long. Our tour guide was informative and enthusiastic about coins! At the end you can hold and take pictures with a 28 lb bar of gold worth around $700,000, that was pretty neat!