“Modern art prevailed”

and up
Ottawa City Tour by Land and Water
Ranked #5 of 291 things to do in Ottawa
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1880, the National Gallery of Canada (Musée des beaux-arts du Canada) holds in trust a collection of European and Canadian paintings, sculptures, prints, drawings and photos.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is a wonderful building but it is not easy to find your way around. I think we saw most of the displays but not sure. There was a lot of modern art . It would have been wiser to sit down with the guide/ map and plan what we wanted to see before we began. Most of our group missed the chapel and garden with in the middle of the bulding.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,466)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was an amazing Gallery that could compete against any in the world. I though I would have to travel across the ocean to see what the National Gallery had to offer.
I wish I had more time to see it all.
We went as a family and it was inspiring to see my children (12, 15,16 and 17) enjoying art. If one room didn't inspire one child another room did. Andy Warhol to Picasso; amazing.
would 100% recommend to anyone of all ages.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The key exhibit was not so elevated, and perhaps set out minds to be critical of the other rooms. I did enjoy some European works, but the walls seem less than friendly in general, the ornate frames don't make music, the painters lack some harmony - maybe me...

Reviewed July 18, 2013

It isn't just the artwork that amazes me here (the Canadian Gallery from early to modern is fantastic) but the architecture of the building itself makes this an easy place to spend a full day if you have the time. There are lovely areas to stop and sit and the quality of the exhibits is outstanding.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our arrival in Ottawa was the same as our departure from Toronto an hour earlier - constant rain. After a quick bite of lunch we headed here, parking easily in the basement car park. Sadly the
glass Great Hall was shrouded for remedial work and therefore one of the best features of the architecture was not on view.
We only had a couple of hours before closing so no time for everything but we headed for the indigenous exhibition. Some of it I don't really get much of the modern stuff - eg the surf boards and the very tall column of blankets - but my own taste is for Impressionist art and I did also enjoy seeing the Tom Thomson/Group of Seven collection.
Quite expensive at C$12 each for a such brief period. Whether one could cope with a full day visit is moot but there are cafes.
Worth a visit when the elements prevail. Also a great view of Parliament Hill from across the canal.