“Great Food, Friendly Service, Reasonable prices Authentic Barbecue” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of D&S Southern Comfort BBQ

D&S Southern Comfort BBQ
Ranked #303 of 2,710 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Barbecue, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Barbeque like ottawa has never seen, till now.
canada
“Great Food, Friendly Service, Reasonable prices Authentic Barbecue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

This restaurant has awesome authentic barbecue that equals the quality of its southern neighbours. The food is excellent and staff are friendly. The restaurant is simple and clean. It is a bit of a drive from the City, but worth every km. The prices are reasonable and the Good luck platter is a great way to get a taste of everything (enough food for two). You must have an armadillo egg, they are great.

• Visited November 2013

Ottawa, Canada
“Still a Great Place to Go”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is my second review of D&S Southern BBQ. I've been there several time now, and I've gone beyond having an impression of this restaurant and graduated to having an opinion. D&S has worked it's way into my rotation of restaurants, and now certain occassions call for a D&S visit.

Let me share them with you.

First, the old addage of location, location, location does not really apply to D&S. It's off the track and outside of Ottawa. I live in south Ottawa, so it isn't that far for me, maybe 10 - 15 mins, but if someone was travelling from Kanata during rush hour to make it for dinner, it would be a trek. It would be worth it... but it would be a trek. Regardless of it's location, however, the place is always busy. I've never had a problem finding a table because it is a pretty big restaurant with very good seating capacity. The atmosphere is always lively, and there are normally good sized groups going there, 6-8 people is not unusual. I think that is a very positive sign because it shows people are rounding up groups of friends & relatives, and bringing them to D&S. People are sharing this restaurant with those dear to them, and that beats any review you can find on Trip Advisor.

I'm not going to testify to my love of BBQ. I've never met anyone who didn't like BBQ. But I have become a student of BBQ over the years. I've learned that 'Canadian' style BBQ is largely meat that has been steamed, gotten a little grill time, and slathered in sauce. Anywhere where BBQ is not just a style of cuisine, but more a style of living, BBQ is not like this at all. Real BBQ styles vary in flavours in the south, but they all have one thing in common, and that the flavour comes from the spices and preparation of smoking the meat slowly, and not from the sauce that is applied. This is how BBQ is cooked at D&S, and I believe the real reason why it has become so popular to so many. All of the fare on the manu are BBQ classics, pulled pork, ribs, brisket, and chicken being the centerpieces. These are all dishes that lend themselves to spice and smoke. Sauce is applied, but sparingly.

This restaurant is large, as I had stated. It's clean, the service is adequate and friendly, and there is nothing trendy about it. People visit for the food. It's a popular birthday destination, and I don't think I've visited once without seeing a large party of people have a dessert with a candle brought to their table. It's also a favourite place of mine to bring visiting friends and family. That says a lot, because when friends visit you aim to give them the best of what you have.

D&S is not expensive, but it's on the higher end of an averaged-price restaurant. Most dishes are going to take you into the high teens to mid twenty dollar range. Add on a drink and perhaps dessert (the desserts are also great), and you're shelling out a few dollars. You'll get good value, but I'm less apt to pick up the check for a large group there than some other restaurants.

If you haven't tried D&S Southern BBQ already, you're missing out, give it a shot.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank sneaky291
“Delicious!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We heard about this restaurant from "You gotta eat here" on the Food Network. It is simply delicious. The menu is excellently priced, the service is very fast and friendly and the selection is awesome! You need to try the armadillo eggs, amazing! We will definitely return.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank KeriannG
“Consistantly Good BBQ!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stopped in last evening for a BBQ fix. Shared the Good Luck Platter consisting of every meat on the menu, one Armadillo egg, 2 wings, 1 leg, 2 St. Louis ribs, 1 beef rib, brisket, pulled pork, and one of their signature sausages. The chicken quarter leg was tender and juicy with good smoke to it. Really refreshing to have the pulled pork with tang ie:North Carolina style. This really gives you the full experience to let everyone pick their favourites for the next visit. The only disappointment was the sausage. It was a bit dry with a texture issue and lacking that snap. That said everything else was really really good. Fries and corn muffin were our sides. The fries here do stand out, crispy and salted correctly. I think the only thing not made in house are the onion rings. You can tell care is taken with everything. I heard Dave the owner talking about the fish and chips so if BBQ is not your thing you can still get filled up. Passion for food is obvious here with consistency a close second.

• Visited September 2013
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Would definitely go back --A good "A minus"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Went there with my family on a Saturday after hearing the Radio commercials -The place is clean & well kept -just reno'd I hear. I'm a BIG BBQ fan --( Green Egg owner 10+ years)

We ordered the Sampler - Brisket -Pork & Beef Ribs -Chicken Leg -Amafillo Egg - Sausage -pulled pork -and we got the beans & cornbread --

I had watched Dave Harper on the you tube videos and really like what I saw --good on you!!

The food was good --we had leftovers from a meal with 2 adults & an 8 yr old -

The smokey-ness was there -good portions -we're planning to give it another go with another family to test it again --

• Visited September 2013