“Southern BBQ in Carlsbad Springs”
Review of D&S Southern Comfort BBQ - CLOSED

D&S Southern Comfort BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Barbeque like ottawa has never seen, till now.
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stumbled upon this gem while out for a drive and went there the next day. We went on a Sunday and just missed the 9-12 Breakfast Buffet, but no matter we were there for BBQ!
We received our lunch menus which was great for my wife as she zeroed in on the pulled pork sandwich ($12). The sangy was big and juicy full of smokehouse flavour.

I was looking for something more substantial...RIBS!

The waitress was super nice and helpful and got me on track with a humungous PLATTER ($27) of 2 x prime rib beef (a.k.a brontosaurus) ribs, 3 x St. Louis, 3 x Baby Backs with sides of fries, corn bread and hush puppies. It could not put it all down.

We had wings and fries ($11) with spicy apple sauce for and app and it was soooo yummy. Note: the fries are made on site and are wicked good!!

A note about some of the other reviews. This is real southern BBQ and NOT some chain “rotisserie chicken” or "cook house" style restaurant; it is authentic (best as it can get). This means the ribs are a bit chewy and the taste is smoky, if you have not had southern BBQ then be aware. As an example when we asked about sweet tea our server (originally from Texas) explained that they used to do real southern sweet tea and lemonade but it did not go over with the north of the boarder patrons. Oh well, travel gives you a more diverse pallet.

All in all a GREAT BBQ joint and we will be back at suppertime to enjoy some more samplings of this fine establishment!

5  Thank Jason C

Reviewed October 13, 2011

The greeting was pleasant, the waiter was attentive, knowledgeable and eager to please. Our choice of appetizer was unusual so we gave it a try, what a treat, called "Amaradillo eggs" or similar to that; it was great ! We shared a plate of ribs that were out of this world; unless you don't know about cooking with smoked wood ; you haven't had a great rib yet; wait no more.....try it at D & S; it's only seven minutes from Orleans ! but well worth it; I certainly will be back to try their wings on Tuesdays for wing night! We also shared a beef brisket wrap which again was delectable; no words to describe the tenderness....yum gotta go now I'm getting hungry just thinking about the place.

3  Thank Joane C
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Try the creole wings. Sticky, sweet, smoky, with some nice mellow heat. Smoked to perfection.

2  Thank ddidy27
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We've been to DS many times over the past year and a half and have seen how the restaurant has grown. It is not a long drive as you can head on the highway for 10 minutes and it is well worth the drive. I fell in love with the ribs at first, so much different than the big box restaurants, the meat is smoked and actually has texture as you eat it, the sauces are all great but not overwhelming and certainly not too sugary as you find elsewhere, I find the St Louis ribs to have a bit more juice to them but that is because of the cut of meat, and they have moved to an excellent style of beef rib that is big but not fatty. I eventually tried the wings on Tues Wing night and they became my favourite, fot just under $7 you get a pound of the best wings I have ever had, smoked so the outside is cripsy but the inside is meaty and juicy, they are also very good sized wings. They are not oversauced and the smoke flavour is there but not overwhelming. We went to the Sunday Brunch one day and I tried the brisket and immediately had another favourite. I have had other brisket but this was BY FAR the best I had ever had, my wife loves the Reuben, which also has the brisket. It has a great smoked flavour and is moist and tender, have it on it's own or on a bun or reuben all very good. My wife normally has the Reuben or pulled pork and she rarely finishes her meals but always does at DS, the pulled pork is tender and juicy and has just the right amount of vingear sauce to be tangy but not overpowering. Dave, the owner, has also brought in some new and great tsating pops including a Dr Pepper / Cheery Coke drink called Cheerwine from NC as well as a brewed rootbeer from Burlington. If you want real BBQ and a great experience that will leave you wanting to come back for more at reasonable prices this is a plae you should try.

2  Thank DSLoverOttawa
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Had my Mom's birthday party there last night and everyone had a great time. None of my family had been there before and all agreed the food and service was great. We had a group of 34 and they had no trouble taking care of all our needs. I didn't hear a single negative comment all night!

1  Thank Rob C