“Nearly Brand New”

Ranked #38 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Wilmington, NC
“Nearly Brand New”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Very modern decor, extremely clean, in a nice location. The check-in and check-out process was very friendly and efficient. We really enjoyed the great accommodations. Great place for the money! We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If the view is important, try to stay away from the center rooms located on the 2nd floor. The entr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OnTheGoInNC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Enjoyed the stay at this location and will return next year. Great place to save $$$ when vacationing in the Ottawa area. 15 Min drive to the downtown core where hotels are $200 including parking. If you’re looking for a great place to eat try a cozy up-scale restaurant next door in the mini mall. It's only a two minute walk and serves delicious food. It's called Cyranos. Staff here at the hotel recommended it and it also has great internet reviews.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John R
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

For the price, this is a well thought-out modern hotel with all you really need for a great stay. Good-sized rooms, nice bathrooms, great king-sized bed, very good air conditioning which was easy to adjust, plenty of bench space and power points, an efficient empty bar fridge, vending machines, free WiFi in rooms, free breakfast and free morning papers. Located at the junction of two main highways, it's only 20 minutes from downtown and 20 minutes from the airport with plenty of shops nearby. Staff are very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a King Suite, which for an extra $20 has an additional living area. Only downside was one lift working - still not fixed after a week. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WalkersWA
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Stayed here through a team sports group reservation - be very careful. We were presented with a list of conditions at check-in (that were not presented at time of reservation) including an unreasonable 24-hour cancellation notice for any reservation cancellation. The bottom line said if you don't sign, no check-in. It was July 1 weekend in Ottawa, there are no other hotels in the area available so you have to sign.

Being a holiday, they jack the price up.

The pool was void of towels when my kids swam even though they say to not bring room towels to the pool. when I inquired at the front desk they said they were out (i.e. tough luck sucker)

The marble floors are mopped at check-out time (the busiest for the lobby) making the floors extremely slippery for all guests (I took a huge slip and fortunately did not injure myself)

The rooms are what you would expect from a brand new HIE; the attitude and arrogance is not. I will not be returning here even if the team is booked here.

I've elevated my beef to corporate and will update this as appropriate.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, there's nothing around here.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Hab_fan_will_travel
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa West - Nepean, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Hab_fan_will_travel,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hudson, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The general manager of this hotel should be nominated for a Nobel Prize. It seems like EVERYONE there knows about customer service. I was here on business and showed up at their door step after the comfort inn Kanata (See my review) ripped me off. I loved this hotel. I loved my stay, the Company paid for it, everyone was polite and very friendly. This Hotel should be a standard that every hotel should live up too. Hopefully the Manager at comfort inn Ottawa west/ Kanata can see how a real hotel should operate, Loved my stay, slept like the dead, ate like a king at the breakfast. I look forward to going back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin_Ilaqua
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with my wife and son (2 months old). This was our first trip with our son, and we were uncertain what it would be like.

The hotel staff were very accomodating right from the moment we arrived. And when I say the staff, I mean everyone! (not just one or two people). The front desk always gave us a warm smile and often inquired about our little one. They were kind enough to give us a late checkout on our departure day.

The location of the hotel is also nice, very close to the main highway. Sure, it's a little away from downtown Ottawa, but my work was in Kanata so that was convenient.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Pure_XTC
Kingston
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our 1 year anniversary on a free stay voucher I had won. The phone reservation with the hotel was quick and painless - the guest service agent told my husband over the phone that a $50 hold would go on our credit card upon check in which was great to know when budgeting our trip.

We went to dinner and a movie in Kanata and the hotel was only minutes down the highway from the Centrum shopping centre and very easy to find. Parking was easy (and free which was a nice surprise when close to a city centre like Ottawa!) and close to the hotel entrance.

Our check in was quick and easy and the guest service agent (possibly a manager due to her outfit but I can't remember her name) was friendly and polite and reiterated the hold on the credit card; sometimes I find hotels aren't specific about this type of thing so I appreciated the information.

The lobby was clean, bright and new. We found our room with no problem. The room was great; spacious, clean, with comfortable beds, a flatscreen tv, extra sink, bar fridge for our drinks, etc. We went to use the pool the next morning - the liner didn't look brand new like everything else in the hotel but the pool seemed fine. The only thing I found odd was that the back door was propped open while we were down there and presumably anyone could have walked in from the outside. I called down to request a late checkout; they told me I couldn't have late checkout but asked what time I was looking for. I said I was hoping we could stay until noon as we had afternoon plans in the area and I was pleased to find out that check out WAS at noon instead of 11am which had been my assumption.

As with any Holiday Inn Express there was a free hot/continental breakfast buffet. The sausage and eggs that morning weren't my personal breakfast faves but I was very happy with my bagel and green tea so no complaints there. There was also bread and jams, yogurt available plus a selection of juice, coffee, teas. The only comment I have about breakfast is that I was looking for fresh fruit (I believe bananas are supposed to be a Holiday Inn Express standard) and when I asked one of the breakfast servers if there was fruit today they said no (not yes but we have run out, just said that there was not any fruit) so I was a tad disappointed there.

The lack of bananas/fruit certainly did not affect our overall stay! We would come back in a heartbeat if we were in the area and I highly recommend this hotel to other guests!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple