“Really enjoyed this place in every way.”

Dantessa Italian Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Loved the food. Prices were decent. Service was excellent. What more can I say.

Had dinner here on the first night of our stay in Ottawa. Steve, our waiter, was very friendly and helpful. The entire family enjoyed our meals.

Found out that they serve breakfast starting at 7am so went back in the morning - since it was right across the street from our hotel. Another great meal. We really enjoyed our 2 visits and if we are ever in Ottawa again we will definitely go back.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Recently, my spouse and I join a group of friends for a casual dinner at Dantessa. Having dined there before, we knew that the food was okay but not exceptional. Upon entering the restaurant we were greed by a wall of hot air. We were told that the outside temperatures had put a strain on the AC. That should have been the warning that other deficiencies were to follow.

A cheese appetizer was ordered for the table. It arrived with a substitute for the goat cheese. Wine was ordered. Oops, tried to be ordered. Each bottle that we requested was not in stock. Finally, the waiter brought out a few bottles that they had. We chose one that was fine. As per the meals, most guests ordered the veal marsala, which was ‘so-so’. I ordered the Odessa, “Fresh Linguine with grilled chicken, mushrooms, roasted red peppers and chilli peppers.” ‘Terrible’ could have describe it, too. The chicken was over cooked, and tough around its edges. I could have lifted the entire entrée with my fork as the dish appeared to have been baked in an oven, or just stood too long under the kitchen’s heating lamps. After the food was served, a bowl of beard was left on the table. Most restaurants do this while the guests are waiting for their meals to be prepared. We didn’t see much of the waiter until the end of the meal. Having pointed out that my dish was not good; a simple apology would have been welcomed. Nothing was said.

Dantessa looks like it caters to the tourists who probably don’t want to venture too far from their hotels at night. That’s too bad. Just a block west of this restaurant is a strip of bars and restaurants that cater to all taste and wallets. Will I return? I don’t think so.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

This restaurant is not easy to find and not on the main Elgin Street strip of restaurants. The restaurant is part of a long term rental appartment building and also offers a catering service to many tenants in the adjoining complex.

The atmospere is relaxed and non pretentious.Lunch and dinner menus are available, both offering, proven favourites in the Antipastas, Thin Crust Pizza, Medium Crust Pizza, Salads ; as well as Veal, Chicken and various Pasta dishes.

My wife and I went for lunch and was pleasantly surprised with the service, food and overall eating experience. Antipasta (Appetizer) choices were "Zuppa (Soup) Minestrone" , Cozze (Mussels) served 3 ways, Bruschetta ( 2 ways) , Calamari, Escargots, Smoked Salmon and various Salads ( Caprese, Mista, Caesar) and a fantastic Antipasta plate (Cured Meats, Cheese, marinated & fresh vegetables).

Two kinds of Pizza " Old World Thin Crust" (Served 8 ways including Margherita, Napoli, Prato and Diego amonst others were offered); as well as, "New World Medium Crust",(Served 6 ways including Vegitarian, Meat Lovers , Peperoni and Sausage, Combination).

Wraps are offered along with sandwitches for the lesser appetite at prices around $12.00 a serving. If you are a pasta person like me, offerings such as Lobster-filled Agnolotti, Linguini with Porchini Mushrooms, as well as Tri Coloured Fusilli with Italian Sausage might be for you. All of which I have personally tried in my visits over the years for prices around $17.00 give or take.

The owner, "James", is most times in the kitchen .... a good sign.; and, he is a well known supporter of local sports teams and leagues through out Ottawa East.

This is a good family restaurant for a night out. It is close enough to City Hall for ample parking ( underneath) and only three blocks from the National Arts Centre for theatre goers. Only a block or so off the Elgin Strret strip which is now Ottawa's second most popular restaurant alley after the Byward Market.

Garnett Gow
Ottawa, Canada

1  Thank GarnettOttawa_Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Italian food, made the way you like it. Free parking in the hotel next door, for all of you who drive. Everything was fresh and beautifully presented. Extensive wine list, wine and food pairings suggested on the menus. The couple in the booth next to us was drinking the Czech Republic's Budvar beer, so the beer list, although I did not pay much attention to it at the time, must be expansive as well.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

It's supposed to be a high end Italian place, but we were not impressed. The bread was dry & not even warmed up, the pizzas were just ok. The waiter was kind of snotty.