“Immature and Ignorant staff...” 1 of 5 bubbles

$19.17*
and up
Ottawa River Historic Sightseeing Cruise
More attraction details
Owner description: Capital Cruises and the Empress of Ottawa invite you to cruise the Ottawa River. Daily sightseeing tours with full live commentary, and evening cocktail cruises complete with live music await you.
Hamilton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Immature and Ignorant staff...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

As soon as we untied from the dock, with no opportunity to disembark, we were informed that the washrooms were not working. We were then told that we were restricted to the upper decks . It was one of the hottest days of the year and being confined to the beating sun on the top deck or the stifling hot second deck was dangerous. On board was a family with an autistic son and plenty of families with little children, and I wear a medic alert myself.
This boat should have never left the dock and when I asked about rules and regulations I was informed by the staff that the boat was registered in Quebec so safety guidelines I assumed would be in place, did not matter. One staff member was more concerned with informing me that the tour busses did not have washrooms either and this was his basis for dismissing any further questions.
When we finally left the boat there was a lineup for over half an hour at the Bytown museum washroom. A lot of people were inconvenienced, if not put in danger by these immature and ignorant staff.
This review was requested by the staff as part of their droning monologue, and I think the request alone gives a hint of their complete ignorance as to what was going on.

6 Thank D S
Andrew W, Director of Sales at Capital Cruises, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
We are terribly sorry to hear your experience aboard the Empress of Ottawa was not to your liking. Unforeseen events (such as a water pump breaking) are extremely rare, though unfortunately do occur. At no time was the safety of the vessel, nor its passengers were in danger.

Passengers were requested to stay either in the middle or upper decks to give our Engineer time to fix the problem on the lowest deck. When you had identified your Medic Alert bracelet the crew was ready to manually draw water onboard for use in the lavatory, which you refused.

As for the heat we are an outdoor activity and our customers typically understand that, although the breeze from our movement does help. We do not advertise air conditioning, and to my knowledge no commercial vessel in the region has it.

We once again apologize that your experience wasn't what you had wished and hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Ottawa.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A unique way to see the capital!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Used the Groupon. The captain let the kids stear the boat, which was huge for them. I would happily pay the full price for the tour.

2 Thank danj79
I am so glad you enjoyed your time on the Empress of Ottawa and would love to see you and the kids in 2014!
Jackson's Point, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Ok, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

For the price, it was not really what I was expecting. The chairs on the top deck were uncomfortable, and someone was basically sitting in my lap once everyone piled up stairs. The tour was informative and fun for the most part, but I couldn't enjoy it until we went to the lower deck away from the crowd. Was promised a free drink and popcorn and then we were told we could only have one or the other.

2 Thank Jade S
Thank you very much for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your cruise. The benches on the top deck are padded (the other tour company has no padding) but are firm, so I'm glad you were able to find a more comfortable seat on one of our lower decks.

I am sorry about the miscommunication about the snack bar promotion and after you made us aware of it we were in touch with the sales staff immediately.

Please feel free to visit us again.
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Not for special occasions”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I went on this cruise in 2012, expecting it to be romantic and anticipated an excellent meal based on the menu advertised. It was our anniversary.

The food showed up before the cruise left, and long before we were dining, in stainless warming/chafing dishes. By the time we were dining it was mass produced catered rubber. I mean rubber. Terrible. It was a low point for us in our anniversaries outside of a trip to the Mill River Resort in P.E.I. for our honeymoon, when we were told they were overbooked and had to go elsewhere. Anyhow, if you love diesel fumes blowing through the window in your face, and rubber food, go and try it.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank jon_beks
I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with our dinner cruise for your anniversary. As advertised, the food is catered by a local restaurant not far from our docks. We are constantly looking to improve our service and would love more feedback from you about the particular aspects of the evening so I can communicate that with the restaurant.

If you do find yourself in Ottawa feel free to try us again. In addition to the dinners we also run a popular sightseeing cruise, and a variety of other evening cruises too.
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Outstanding!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

It was my first time to do cruise after I moved into Ottawa two years ago!! My friends and me were all impressed about it cuz it was really amazing.. During taking the cruise, u could enjoy talking from a tour guide who could speak 7 languages and could introduce each building or view on the both sides of cruise....... July 21st-nice-weather day!! It was best day to enjoy the best cruise!!!!!!!!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank 613Joanna
Andrew W, Director of Sales at Capital Cruises, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Glad to hear you had such a great time on the Empress of Ottawa! Hope to see you next summer.