“Wanted to lick the soup bowl clean”
Review of Play Food & Wine

Play Food & Wine
Ranked #7 of 2,870 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: French, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Food is here is superb. Anytime I have gone I wanted to lick the soup bowl clean. When it is busy, make a reservation.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,426)

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Downtown Ottawa and close to market. Smaller portions but great taste. Can mix and match allowing you to design your own meal

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Lunch with a friend proved to be the best I'd had in a long time. I had the scallops, served on celery root puree, with sautéed brussel sprouts. I thought the pungent sprouts and mellow puree would prove a nice backdrop for the light scallops - it was even more so. I had a glass of excellent Austrian Gruner. My next dish was a cheese plate with 3 outstanding, perfectly ripened Quebec cheeses: a smoked blue, a chèvre and a firm (Charlevoix?) cheese, called something Canotier - excellent. I had this with their excellent home-made sour dough whole grain bread (I find that restaurant bread is a good indicator of overall food quality and attention to diner's experience). With it, a glass of outstanding Shiraz, I wish I remember what it was. Absolutely outstanding Shiraz, a perfect marriage with the cheese plate. Overall? I can't wait to go back!!

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I am a fan of Play. It is one of my Ottawa go-to restos. You can always trust the wine recommendations at the bar. The food is inventive and usually yummy and I like that the menu changes with the seasons but keeps versions of favourites on. However, something has happened to the texture of the tuna tataki which for the last three visits has been mushy.Too bad because it didn't used to be. Also, the hot dishes are not arriving hot even though they are freshly made. So, I will be really careful about my ordering or sending back less than satisfactory dishes.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

The restaurant is lacking in ambiance as the atmosphere is seams cold it is also a bit expensive for the type of restaurant.