“Delicious food and wine”
Review of Play Food & Wine

Play Food & Wine
Ranked #7 of 2,808 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: French, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

The dishes are good to share, they are the same size than appetizers. Our server recommended us order 2/pp but since we wanted to keep some room for desert, we just ordered 3. And we made the right decision.
We had a cheese plate: baluchon, les métayeres and grey owl. All the 3 were amazing. My fav was the grey owl, local goat cheese.
We also had the grilled hanger steak and the grilled shrimp escabeche. The hanger was delicious. The grilled shrimp comes with a salad, it was good but it could be more exciting/creative.
For desert we shared the fig strudel. It's terrific. My only complain is that it could be bigger, it's very small.
We had spanish red wine, Gran Oristan. Very good.
Attentive and helpful service.

There are newer reviews for Play Food & Wine

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Service was most helpful and very informed about the wines paired to each dish. There is a long wine list by the bottle or glass. Our server, Marah was friendly and knowledgeable. Poor decor and average atmosphere. You can order a variety of dishes to maximize your tasting experience. I would say the big downside is the price (280$ for two).
We loved the mixed charcuterie plate, the cheese plate, the fudge brownie and the chocolate paté (excellent wine pairing with the Luigi Righetti). But the bread with the cheese is very salty, the scallops are too salty as well. I was disapointed with the gnocchi, not tasty, just feel like a rush of sugar. So much sugar that I couldn't appreciate the Auxerrois served with it.
Because of the fun concept, it's good to try once at least.

7  Thank Eric L
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I visited for the first time. Heard lots of good things and we where not disappointed. The food was great! Service was most helpful and very informed about the wines paired to each dish. We sat up stairs and the place seemed rather full.

I really can't find anything negative to say about our experience there and will probably take family members with us on our next visit.

Thanks for a great evening.

1  Thank Charles C
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We got engaged here!!! Staff, food, service and facility was above and beyond!!!!!! Truly want you to learn and enjoy your tapas experience!!!!! Sooooo want to have my pre-wedding supper here!!!! Soooooo good!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Close to the downtown hotels serving a small plate style lunch and dinner make it a convenient place to dine. There are 2 levels in the restaurant, take your pick. You can sit at the bar and the menu is the same. There is reasonably priced wine list by the bottle or glass. There are lots interesting places to see on a walking tour before or after your visit. The lunch menu has a good special offering two choices (plates) for $20 which is good value. Nice bistro style atmosphere.

stevebeckta, Owner at Play Food & Wine, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear realtorav8tor: Thank you for coming in to see us at Play and for taking the time to share your wonderful review with our guests on TA. I'm thrilled to read that you have enjoyed your time with us at Play so much, and I hope to have the chance to welcome you back personally on your next visit to town.

With many thanks,