“Play is a must!”

Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Gatineau, Canada
“Play is a must!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The four of us having dinner together were all very pleased by our culinary experience. Small plates, good variety, nice presentation. Excellent service. Worth going back.

• Visited July 2013
stevebeckta, Owner at Play Food & Wine, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Geo88: Thanks so much for joining us at Play and then for taking the time to leave your great review on TA. I am so glad to read that you and your guests enjoyed your food, the menu and the service at Play so much, and I hope we get to welcome you back for another visit soon.

Calgary
“A Must”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Close to Parliament and the major hotel area. Super decor and atmosphere.
The food was outstanding as was the presentation. Staff are most friendly. Very avant garde and hip. Great for couples and small groups of adults.

Visited July 2013
stevebeckta, Owner at Play Food & Wine, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear CalgaryKen: Thank you deciding to give us a try at Play and for this wonderful review on TA. I'm thrilled you enjoyed so many aspects of your experience with us so much, and I'll be very happy to share your review with the whole team. I hope we get to see you the next time you are in town.

All the best,

Chesterville, Ontario, Canada
“Different, delicious, a must”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I visited Play Food & Wine with colleagues for a business lunch and was delighted. The food choices are varied and tasty and the prices are remarkably reasonable for the location, smack in downtown Ottawa. The menu is flexible so you can order a variety of dishes to maximize your tasting experience.

The portions are sufficient, not overly large but certainly filling. I have particularly fond memories of the tartar. I would say the only downside is that the dishes on the menu all sound so interesting and yummy that it's really hard to pick, so I suppose a return visit is in order!

Visited September 2012
Hi Francoise:

Thanks for all of the great compliments for Play and for taking the time to leave them for our visitors on TA. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your recent business lunch with us so much. I love your descriptions of the food and your experience and I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

All the best,

Toronto, Ontario
“A great "find"”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Play (http://www.playfood.ca/) was a real treat. The restaurant has a number of smaller-size dishes intended to be shared. These are somewhat larger than tapas but not intended to be your only option for dinner. Prices run about $14 per savoury and a couple would want one or two appetizers and then split 3 or 4 dishes and then either cheese or a sweet. We started with the Charcuterie Platter (a nice size helping of four meat appetizers) and then split two dishes (Pike Cheeks and Gnocchi) and a 3-cheese tasting platter with one glass of wine and we got out for under $100.

The food was excellent but the waitress was part of the treat - she was talkative but not intrusive and she was extremely helpful. For a true food, you can sit at a counter facing into the kitchen and discuss each dish as it is being carefully crafted - and, based on our food, everything is built from scratch with fresh ingredients by people who love what they're doing.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Stephen P
stevebeckta, Owner at Play Food & Wine, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Stephen P: Thank you so much for dining with us at Play and for taking the time to leave your review on TA. Such a nice compliment! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your visit with us, and I really look forward to sharing your review with the team. I hope to have the chance to welcome you back personally for another visit to Play soon.

Ottawa, Canada
“Great small plates for sharing”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This restaurant is great f you are lookin for something a little upscale. Lots of items to choose from, food fresh and well thought out.

• Visited August 2012
stevebeckta, Owner at Play Food & Wine, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hello Anne H: Thank you so much for joining us at Play recently, and for taking the time to leave your kind thoughts with our visitors on TA. It's great to read that you enjoy our menu so much, and I hope I can have the chance to personally welcome you back for another visit soon.