“Excellent venue to try several different dishes- easy on the stomach and wallet”
Review of Play Food & Wine

Play Food & Wine
Ranked #10 of 2,746 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: French, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

This is a modern setting for a great meal. The menu has a wide range of tastes that are ideal for sharing and are just the right size to leave room for the next temptation. Had the beet salad, scallops ,lentil fritters,and mussels with a heavenly sauce. Will go again!

Visited May 2013

Calgary, Canada
“Scallops + Wine Wow! Excellent value at Lunch”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We came for the lunch special and loved it so much we came back the next day for lunch as well. The staff were very nice and accomodating - my sugars crashed and I needed juice. They ran to get it and gave me some space for them to level out before taking my order. Very attentive the whole time.

The food. Wow. Those Scallops were the best I have ever eaten. They had coconut in them. Yum! The Pork Belly was also a really good dish, and my wife loved the tuna and gnocchi. The steak and fries - good and filling but nothing to write home about. Stick to the Pork and seafood.

Value: 2 plates for $20 and you could do as many sets of two as you wanted. We did 6 plates in total for $60 for two along with wine pairings. The wine is also a good value. $9 a 5ox glass for a bottle that retails for $45. That's more than fair. Expect to be wow'ed by the wine. Follow their pairings too. You won't be sorry.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank ManagementBee
Thornhill, Canada
“Wow, Great Food and even Better Service”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

First of all, tip of the Hat to Steve Beckta for another outstanding restaurant.
While the décor is really minimalist, rest assured the food and beverage is not.
We had the pleasure of being served by Stephen H. He is superbly trained in both wine pairings and food combinations.
We started with the mixed Charcuterie plate and 8 cheeses split among the 4 of us.
What a fabulous way to start a meal. Fun and just the right amount to make your mouth water.
There are no real entrees but a combination of small plates to choose from.
My wife had the tuna tataki and was absolutely blown away by the unique combinations of flavour and texture.
As usual my son and his companion stuck to beef based dishes which they found pleasing.
I loved the Boar sauage in tempura batter but I must admit that the pork belly was the hit of the night.
Great wine selection (Enjoyed the Cameron Hughes Syrah @ $55) but would love to see some more draught beers and less delicate glasses for same.
I recommend the experience without hesitation and for value, quality, and service and name it my favorite Beckta restaurant.............maybe even my favorite restaurant in Ottawa.
Thank you to all the staff for a fabulous dinner experience

• Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
“The playful art of sociable dining”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Walking in the Byward Market, we had intended to make our way to another Ottawa favourite, Domus. But alerted by a quick scan of TripAdvisor, when we passed Play, located at the corner of Sussex and York, we opted to give it a try. The place was busy - this was about 7:30 on a Thursday evening, but the welcome was friendly, and before long, we were sitting at a table for two on the second floor. The sound level was high, but it came from groups at larger tables nearby who clearly were having a jovial time. It created an agreeable ambiance as my wife and I turned our attention to the menu. Think of everything as appetizers, our amiable waiter informed us, adding he would recommend making two choices each and then seeing where we wanted to go from there.. Wine and beer pairings were indicated for each item, and most of them could be purchased by the glass as well as by the bottle. The menu had a wide range of options. I must confess to enjoying the process of choosing what to order, - taking care in doing that is part of the pleasure of a happy meal. This meant engaging the waiter, because a number of the menu items were unusual. We opted for a beet salad with blue cheese, balsamic,arugula and picked celery, and another of ancient grains, walnut butter, goat beemster and smoked toasted tofu. We also decided to have a glass each of Spanish sparking wine, Cava Reserva, Penedes, which was perfect for our choices, and which we sipped through the evening. The salads were exceptional, the beet salad showing its assertive earthy tastes immediately and the grain salad releasing its flavours and tastes the more you made your way through it. We took our time and we enjoyed doing so. The next choices we made were scallops with celeriac, wasabi, coconut, radish & sake and meat pie on flat bread with sour cream, kalamata,& mint. My spouse expressed concern for me when she saw that while the plate was beautifully presented, my $16 had bought me only 3 scallops. But not I - I have learned the value of quality over quantity, and that is where this dish excelled. It was a wonderful concoction of delightful aromas and tastes. Again, the thing to do was to go slow and enjoy. My wife found her meat pie had pleasantly flavoured and ample in size, but was disappointed that ground meat was used. I found that allowed the flavours to be more insinuated in the meat, which was agreeable to me. There were many other choices on the menu that caught my eye, but i resisted in order to move to the dessert options. We decided to share a fig strudel with gelato that the waiter recommended, which we had with a coffee served smooth enough that i was happy to have it straight without cream. The evening was a very pleasing experience. The waiter (I should have asked for his name) guided us patiently and thoughtfully through the menu. As the evening went on, the place quieted down, so that when we left, near 10 PM, the mood had changed, and the moon shone through the window. The waiter actually apologized for not being as attentive as he had wanted to because it had turned out to be a surprisingly busy night. But we could only thank him for his easy going and helpful manner. Play clearly is expert in preparing excellent food, and can take pride in the way it presents it to its patrons. Take someone whose company delights you, and - just as important - likes to have fun practicing the playful art of sociable dining.

• Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had dinner there in June 2012. We loved their small plates, wines and cheese plate for dessert. The service was great but the decor a bit modern for our taste.. The restaurant gets very busy after 7PM. Overall - great experience.

• Visited June 2012