“Haunted, but no horror”

Ranked #4 of 51 Tours in Ottawa
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Reviewed May 13, 2013

That was a great visit, with a wonderful guide. We walk a bit, but it's really good story about death and ghost, but nothing to scary any of us! They were children in our group and they seem to have appreciated the tour. We took the original walk in french!

1  Thank Mathieulali

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My family did the jail tour one cold evening and it was pretty creepy. The costumed guide took us on a tour of the haunted floor with its various cells including death row & I think that the scariest was the little room that had the gallows with its trap door. You could just imagine the condemmed entering that room for the last time...We enjoyed all the stories as well.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

the walk was a great way to learn about the city and visit it while learning ghostly stories! One of my personal favorite as a resident of Ottawa myself!
i would suggest it for families with older kids, couples, or lone travellers! it is great to go at night!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I am a sucker for Horror movies and stories, so I really wanted to try this haunted walk. It was my very first one and I really enjoyed it. The tour is an hour long and when it finished I wanted more. The lady that did the tour was very good and she shared some personal experiences of the jail and as she was telling her stories, you could see how genuine she was. She would get really nervous telling her stories because of the memories that they brought back for her, and even throughout the tour, there were places, and things that if it was up to her, she would have rather not see again. It's not only creepy, but it also gives you interesting facts about Thomas Darcy McGee, his "supposed" assassin, the jail, and experiences that many people have had there since it was opened up to the public. If this is your kind of tour I would totally recommend it. I wouldn't take young children here, however, it does leave a lot of impressions on your mind that I would not want a young child to experience at early age.

1  Thank wiljos
JimHW, General Manager at Haunted Walk of Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to post! We were thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your tour with us. If you haven't already, I would recommend trying one of tours in Toronto. Our season there starts May 3rd and we have a brand new tour we will revealing in the coming weeks. Thanks again for joining us!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

The former Ottawa Jail (now a Hostel) was the backdrop of the Haunted Walk: Ghosts and Gallows tour. While the tour itself focused on stories of hauntings within the jail-turned-hostel (which I found to be quite boring and unbelievable), the history lesson that underscored the entire tour was quite good. And while the guide really wanted us to believe that ghosts were haunting the place, it was in being able to touch a part of history that really made me appreciate this tour. I had a really nice time with friends and I'd recommend this to anybody that either wants to hear ghost stories or just wants to walk through an old jail.