“well worth your time for becoming knowledgeable about modern drama”

National Arts Centre
Ranked #28 of 273 things to do in Ottawa
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Yes indeed, we were lucky last month to see a splendid production of a modern play on its last night of production. It was called "Oil and Water" and we saw it at the very end of May in this theatre. It was my first visit to the Center for Arts. I was pleased that we chose to go to see the production, had followed parts of modern drama from a distance for years having completed degree in English with courses in drama appreciation composing a large part of the degree itself. My other degree in French taught be about modern drama too but I needed more information about certain aspects of what playwrights do today. That is what I obtained at the Center For Arts. Dialogue and music were not exceedingly loud. Stage movement was understandable. I did like to see the actors remain on the sage during the other parts of the production. The fact that there was not an intermission did please me. I imagine that parking can be problem in the place and near by. We looked for the right place to enter and we found it. There should be more rest rooms on the second and first floor for the general audience. I had to walk a long distance to find a rest room. There should be more water fountains for general audience people as well. The production should have had more things to read about concerning the play itself in the program that was a little thin. Discussion groups might have turned the evening into a better experience for me and others. Clean and neat and polished atmosphere predominated. Most impressed with production. Advance warning for people to turn of their electronic gadgets should include a comment or two about how too much never-ending coughing can be as disturbing as well. Say something about how parents and adults should not bring young infants to a production at this at this time of night and advise them to leave seating ares if their babies cry too much. The planning of the play's production and its development was worth studying for me to learn about modern drama. It is worth you time to study the architectural design for building this center. It is valuable to learn about the Canadian artists who perform here. I want to learn about the entire orchestral schedule for performing classical music. It is the type of place to spend an entire day. I did not say this too loudly - but it is of greater importance for me to watch a modern play than watching NFL ice hockey games. Nevertheless it has most of its cultural marbles in the correct basket. Spend some time walking through the interior. I found that the schedule for small and large events is impressive. Workshops for landscape architecture were going on at the same time. If you need a place to be an intellectual as a tourist this might be it. I did not sample the food that was on sale some place so I can not say anything about it. Ushers were helpful.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

The NAC has improved over the years.
It will get infinitely better once the current conductor departs! Zuckerman never appeared interested in his audience and always viewed interacting with it as a bit of a chore.
Time for a dynamic Canadian conductor to take on the role and salvage the NAC.
The NAC should also strive to stage more high quality opera if it wishes to ascend in the global ranking of great orchestras.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Not only does the National Art Center have a strong and outstanding collection, the building designed by the incredible Moshe Safdie is a work of art onto itself. Do not miss the "Canadian 7" section featuring Canada's most impressive historical artists. If traveling w/little ones, many art project workshops available during the weekends and holidays.

1  Thank Iris50
Reviewed May 28, 2014

ON the banks of the Rideau Canal. Parliament Hill and the Chateau Laurier are within sight. Great dining at Le Cafe restaurant. Check to see if the scheduled events appeal to you.

Our daughter held her wedding at the NAC.

1  Thank Bob P
Reviewed May 17, 2014

When you buy a ticket and present your student card (I know it's working for Quebec and Ontario provinces but don't know if from elsewhere it is) you can get up to 80% discount! Great schedule and easy parking lots. Staff is charming and drinks aren't too expensive.