“Coolest Dining Experience Ever!”
Review of Atelier

Atelier
Reserve with OpenTable
Atelier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 2,785 Restaurants in Ottawa
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Carling
Ottawa, Canada
“Coolest Dining Experience Ever!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We went to Atelier recently, and enjoyed ourselves immensely. The food was exquisite (my favourite being lago-unchained), creative, and beautiful. I don't think I've ever used beautiful to explain food before!

The techniques the chef uses are really amazing, and we found every dish to be very tasty. It is pricey, but I think worth it experience it at least once! I could not believe how these flavours I never imagined coming together, did and it was fantastic!

The decor - well you can read the reviews is meh. I personally love the children's drawings as it warms my heart. Everything else is just blah. There is a lot of traffic try and be strategic about your seat pick if you don't want them walking by you all the time. We picked in the corner and were very happy with this.

The staff - AMAZING! The sommelier was amazing too, very detailed and had some really fun choices. The staff was friendly, made jokes and just made the experience even better.

Overall I would suggest to everyone to go!! It really is worth the money. However, if I were to go again I don't think I would do the pairing again, experiencing that once was enough. Therefore, if you are on the fence about going - don't hesitate - GO!

• Visited April 2014

ottawa
“Fantastic meal!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Its the best in Ottawa for a special occasion. The food is over the top good.
Yes its expensive and way too much food but well worth it. I had the wine pairing as well. I suggesting to them that I prefer more reds than white wine - and they accommodated nicely.
If your a foodie - you MUST go - surprising and delightful. I can't wait to go back.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank ejfudd
Ottawa, Canada
“Atelier was absolutely amazing”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

This is bit late but I had to write a review for this amazing restaurant.
We were 2 couples with no special occasion to celebrate. Just wanted to go for a good meal, we are all foodies, some more than others. We had the wine pairing with our meal even though we are not wine connoisseur, we could not go without the wine for such an elaborate menu. We are glad we did.
First, the setting; the restaurant does not say much from the outside but and is really minimalist looking on the inside but extremely comfortable seating. This is so many times overlooked in restaurants. We work hard, live hard and we want to sit and be comfortable. We spent at least 3 hours there if not more. Love the zen look, the restaurant setting says…you are in for a nice meal.

Second, the food; well it was so amazing, I don’t think I have enough English vocabulary (yep I’m French) to describe it to the full extend it deserves. The ingredients were fresh and prepared in an innovative way that at first, grab your visual attention and then your taste buds’ curiosity. Loved the way the food was presented. Yes, the portions are small but you get so many plates, let’s just say we did not leave hungry.

Third, the service; the service was also very good and it did complement the meal. The server (Sarah) explained in details each serving and the sommelier did the same with the wine and also provided suggestion when asked. I felt like we had the restaurant just to ourselves.

Fourth, a surprise; at the beginning I said we are all foodies but some more than others. I was mostly talking about my husband. My husband loves to eat but not to the same extent I do however, he didn’t stop raving about the food, he was so impressed with the paring of the different ingredients and the molecular effect of some of them (he does have a scientific mind) he didn’t stop saying that this was is most amazing meal ever and that he wants to go back soon.

Five, the cost; it was quite expensive and it does not cater to everyone’s wallet however, it was worth every penny of it. If you have a special occasion…please go for it. We recommend this restaurant to all our friends.

Would of love to meet the chef to say thanks for such a great meal.
Alex

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Alexandrasks
Ottawa, Canada
“Good Food, Alright Experience”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I took my Mom to Atelier for her birthday dinner. Along with the 12 menu course she had a full wine pairing, while being a DD I decided to have the half.

We started off with sake - it was good, but definitely skewed our taste palette for the night, as it was too strong for the appetizer and our first drink. We covered a range of wines and our sommelier knew his wines really well, it was plausible.

The food ensembles were creative and covered a range of flavoures and textures, also those of Canadian farmers, which is always nice. The food presentation was too abstract for my liking. It was spread out on my entire plate and to get a bite with all the flavours I had to scoop everything to the middle and ruin the presentation right away.

The cutlery was distracting and hard to use. It was heavy and had prolonged circular shape. I couldn't get the fork to cooperate, so I asked for a simple set and they immediately brought me an Ikea kitchen set.

Being a very small place the fairly large tables and grand white leather chairs made the place look crowded. Also, the white walls gave off the sterile hospital feel. Since the tables beside us started their dinner earlier we could clearly hear the menu in advance. It was no longer surprising and intriguing when it was presented to us next.

Overall, good place to visit for a special dinner, but gave off a bit of trying too hard to impress vibe.

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank oclimova
Stittsville, Canada
“A once in a lifetime experience”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

If you live in Ottawa and you love food then you have to eat here at least once or you haven't lived! If you like flowers on your plate then you will be over the moon. This is an expensive blind tasting menu and I have to say that every dish was superb and perfectly cooked. Inevitably you won't like every one of them (I don't rave over pork belly but it was perfectly cooked and served). But I rave over most of the dishes and when there are about 12 courses you have to find a few winners and I certainly did.

This is not a restaurant for visiting frequently but it is an absolute must to visit at least once for everyone in the city who can afford it. This is a world class restaurant.

It's a pity it is located in a hard to find horrible little cardboard house buried in the wasteland of the not quite downtown, not quite suburb part of the city. But I guess their overheads are low! I had to drive by twice before I even found it - and there is no sign outside. You have to trust in the address. But I persevered and it's worth finding it! I loved this place!! Not the usual kind of high end restaurant and I like that. The service was superb and so was the food but the ambience sucked. OK - in the end who cares about that?

• Visited February 2014