“Amazing!”
Review of Atelier

Atelier
Reserve with OpenTable
Atelier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 3,155 Restaurants in Ottawa
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Carling
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We liked everything about the restaurant, the food is amazing, the staff is outstanding, I cannot really describe the experience, but you have to try it once in your lifetime.... it is a feast for the eyes and the taste buds - even the kitchen was spotless!

Date of visit: June 2013
1  Thank Johanne L

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I took my boss to dinner here one evening. She is a chef so I wanted a meal that would impress her – we were both blown away!
The excellent service we received started before we even arrived at the restaurant with a call confirming my reservation and checking to see if this was a special occasion, or if there were any allergies. I have been a bit hesitant in the past with tasting menus and allergies, but this put me right at ease.
A blind 12 course dinner – that really ends up being about 18?!?! An amazing value for what you pay. In cities like New York or Chicago that same menu would be more than double the price. The food is inventive and mouth watering. With so much care and attention to detail in every plate, you would think the atmosphere would be stuffy; but it couldn’t be more fun. By about the third course we were squealing with joy as each new dish was presented then gushing about how nothing could top that dish, until the next one arrived and we went through the process again.
I decided opt for the wine pairings. What a wonderful idea. At first I was worried that it might be a lot of wine seeing as there are 12 courses to pair with, but it worked out to just over 3 glasses. Just the right amount. I was thrilled with the wine selections. Most of the dishes are have numerous ingredients and very complex flavours, but somehow the sommelier was able to match each wonderfully. I was especially delighted to try a sake that is produced in Toronto – simply fantastic.
Our server was a pure delight. She seemed to take such pleasure in being a part of our dining experience. Always there and ever patient when we needed to ask yet another question about how something was made or ask her to repeat the ingredient list.
I was thrilled with my experience at Atelier and plan to return again and again with more foodie friends to watch the joy on their faces as they experience one of the best restaurants I have ever been to, and of course for my own pleasure as well!

Date of visit: March 2013
4  Thank SimplyFresh
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have to say I am truly surprised that this place has so many good reviews. It is extremely overpriced. To start with they had lost out reservations that we had made online a month and a half earlier. They made no apologies or attempt to see if we'd made it for the wrong day, but we luckily were still able to get a table.

Don't get me wrong, myself and friends I was with are all foodies, but this food was only ok, and a few of the courses actually not good at all. "Fancy" for the sake of "fancy" instead of trying to make great food and add some cool technique to elevate it. The last course was a desert with smoke, and was actually inedible. They add foam and jellies to everything, but truly nothing tasted excellent. There were a few good dishes, but with these reviews and the price, I expect excellence.

The wine pairing was a lot of really sweet wines, and again way overprices. It is an extremely small amount for $60. If after this review you still plan to go here I would recommend getting a bottle instead.

I would say the service was good, to be fair, but I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone. Truly disappointing.

Date of visit: June 2013
10  Thank TaunyaM_13
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Well... Atelier literally blew my mind. I cannot say enough good things about the service, food, presentation, drink pairings and overall experience. It was out of this world. We went on a very special occasion and the chef prepared TWO extra custom dishes for us. Definitely take a cab and go for the pairings. It's totally worth it. Don't miss out on this one!

Date of visit: February 2013
6  Thank Julia K
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I highly recommend Atelier but for foodies only. I am one as were my dinner companions. We were mostly impressed.

Every one of the 12 courses was delivered superbly plated, beautifully presented. Most were exceptionally tasty, with incredibly creative blends of ingredients, flavours; a couple were underwhelming (but everyone's tastes are different). I was surprised the plates were not warmed for the hot dishes so all courses were room temperature or cold. I assume the menu changes regularly so there is no point in commenting on individual dishes.

Service by Steven was excellent, formal yet friendly, Sara was a bit too casual. The courses were timed perfectly although perhaps a tad quick; we were only one of two tables that night.

Overall, the food was good value. In my view, the wine pairings were not. $60 for the equivalent of 3 glasses is pricey given the selections served. Also, I found the very small room uninteresting, atmosphere lacking, which does matter when you are there for 3+ hours.

Date of visit: March 2013