“3rd review”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2014

After my first negative review about the cleanliness and staff attitude, things had improved by the time I did my second review.

This is my third review for this restaurant.

I've been to Hockey Sushi twice this past month. Once for lunch and once for dinner. Both times the restaurant was just over half full.

Both visits we noticed that the staff attitude has now gone back to the "don't care attitude". Specially the more older staff seem to not smile, not say thank you, not acknowledge you, ignore repeated requests for extra napkins or water.

When you ask them for something they just walk away and you're not really sure if they heard your request. It's a popular place so may be they feel that the don't need to improve their attitude towards customers to get more business.

Also they seem to be forgetting to bring specific meal orders to our table. And after asking repeatedly our some items arrived just as we were getting ready to leave (i.e. after asking 3 or 4 times and waiting 30 minutes for missing food items we just gave up and wanted to leave ... but all of a sudden the items arrive).

There is no improvements to the old filthy bathrooms.

This place seems to be going down hill from the staff attitude (specially the older staff members) and the state of bathrooms.

The only positive remarks are that they have a couple of younger staff members that are nice, and they removed the filthy sticky carpet in the dining area and replaced it with tiles.

Hopefully they will gut their bathrooms and ask staff to improve their attitude towards customers again.

1  Thank ottawatravelbug70
There are newer reviews for Hockey Sushi

Reviewed February 4, 2014

After reading some of the reviews on here, I was a bit scared to try Hockey Sushi, but am very happy I did. Myself and three friends went for their All You Can Eat lunch on Sunday, and we all had a great time. None of our tickets were messed up or delivered to another table, and we got all the food WE ordered (not anyone else's). Also, our waitress spoke pretty good english, unlike Kanata Sushi, where I could barely explain anything to them when our orders were messed up.

I would like to highlight that ALL of us did the AYCE option, and if one person at the table doesn't, you could watched a bit more closely to make sure you aren't sharing food (which it says explicitly you cannot do on the menu). Another reviewer pointed out how upset she was because she shared some ice cream with her (non-AYCE) son and the manager got upset. While I'm not condoning the manager's alleged behaviour, know that AYCE places are pretty strict about this rule, so if only some people in your party want to do AYCE, this may not be the place for you (especially if you're there with children, who can have a difficult time understanding this rule). All in all, the food was pretty good, the restaurant was calm, and the staff was attentive to us (likely due to the low-population).

Reviewed January 2, 2014

As the title says, I haven't had better all you can eat sushi in Ottawa. It's not the best sushi ever, but for the price it's decent and fresh. If you get takeout, it's much, much better. Bigger portions of fish in each roll, more carefully prepared rolls. Service is like any other all you can eat sushi place, maybe slightly better, if you've ever been to one you know what I'm talking about.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We have been going to Hockey Sushi for over three years. Based on our last visit, we will never return.

While the food has never been great, it has until recently been passable, and the atmosphere was family-friendly. The service has taken a complete nose-dive of late, as has the quality of the food.

This last visit, I committed the crime of sharing the ice cream i had ordered as part of my all-you-can-eat meal with my four-year old son. (We order chicken teriyaki and rice for him a la carte, as it is the only thing he likes) When the "manager" caught wind of this, she appeared at our table, glared at my son and said sternly "You can have one small bite then give it back." I questioned her, she became irate. My son was frightened and upset at this point, thinking he had done something wrong. We left.

Our bill came to over $85 for 4 people. We have eaten there numerous times in the course of three years for similar amounts. GIven that we will not return, the Hockey Sushi management has made the brilliant decision to throw away future $85 visits for 30 cents worth of ice cream. There are other establishments far more worthy of our business.

1  Thank Heidi W
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Been to this AYCE several times already. It seems that the service is really getting worse! There were 8 in our group. It started with a blank look on the server's eyes when we ordered water and tea. Seemed like she either didn't care or was just confused about water and tea. Sushi we ordered is pretty much average.The tempura is overbattered (we had to scrape the batter off to taste the shrimp). The sashimi didn't taste fresh, but then, this is an AYCE. Make sure you follow-up on your orders. We had to ask two different servers for our desserts. When you go there, do not have high expectations. That way, you won't be disappointed. Not really sure if we will ever go back there.