“Fun stuff to eat!”

Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed July 20, 2010

This is the type of place my friends and I really enjoy. Local products from the Ottawa Valley treated fairly simply. Lots of meat to be had, go hungry and don't think too much about how many calories you're ingesting! pates are very good both in house and imported, as are the condiments. Beef heart "Rueben" I think it was, was very nice and we all like the "fish & chips". marrow bones could have been hotter though. Excellent work and truly representative of local seasonal fare.

1  Thank travellingchef1

Reviewed June 22, 2010

We tried this place on the recommendation of Triadvisor and were not disappointed. Quite possibly the best meal we've had. The apps, main and dessert were out this world fantastic!!

Reviewed May 11, 2010

We're from Ottawa, and have been to Murray Street a bunch of times. We're finding the menu is getting a bit stale, but that's probably because we go so often! It has a fantastic brunch, and, in the summer, a fantastic patio in the back that I highly, highly recommend. You really can't lose with the brunch menu, and I recommend the duck confit for dinner.

Reviewed May 9, 2010

I'd had a so-so Christmas lunch last year at the bistro - which is firmly aimed at meat eaters -- and thought I'd give it another chance at dinner. We arrived at about 9 o'clock on a Saturday night and already the pace was slackening off, which should have been a warning to us. The service was edgy from the start. One of our party was late and the waiter came over twice in about 10 minutes to ask whether our friend was going to come, since the kitchen was going to close up the second he'd ordered. Great. To keep him calm we ordered some starters from the surprisingly brief menu. One starter was described as like "The island of misfit toys", which meant nothing to us, so we asked what it meant. "It's just lke the way it says," the waiter all but snapped at us. Hey, if we didn't get it the first time, you being short with us isn't going to make much of a difference the second time. The starters were uniformly excellent, in particular the house-smoked trout, which was sensational. In all my years I don't think I've had smoked fish that good. The main course was a disappointing elk pot roast, which tasted strongly of something that reminded me of seaweed. I'm not sure how they prepared it and didn't really dare ask. The room was pleasantly dark but the piped music bordered on the intrusively loud (when the restaurant is full at lunch it is very noisy). I've been here two times now and think I'll give it a miss for a few months while they iron out their challenges.

4  Thank Faience44
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I love to eat. My spouse loves to eat. We are travellers, we try everything, we indulge, we appreciate. Nothing comes close to the Murray Street. We usually never go to the same place twice (other than our local breakfeast hutch) because we figure there are so many places to try out. BUT...it is rather impossible to scratch the Murray Street off the list. We went, then we went again...and it has quickly become our favorite spot. Birthdays, friends coming to town - the occasions where the Murray Street is à propos are endless. If you are looking for a chi-chi-frou-frou ambiance, turn around. This is not the place for you. The waiters wear jeans, they talk to you casually (with respect, of course), they are real but don't let the laid back appearance fool you. They are subject-matter experts! They will guide you through the menu and offer great suggestions. The food. No...THE FOOD! I litteraly dance in my seat at every bite I take. Just writting this review makes my mouth water as I imagine the Murray Street seasonal-changing menus. I haven't eaten a course I didn't absolutely love. Last time I went, my friend and I both ordered the same entrée (I know...how original)...and we took our first bite at the same time. Reaction: dropped jaw and utter silence for one full minute followed by a giant "OMG". It was the most tender piece of slow-cooked beef we had both ever had, not to mention the taste. And let's not forget to mention the cheese and charcuterie platters you get to build yourself (which is fun in itself). Oh and did I mention they prone the whole "from farm to fork movement". Everything is seasonal, local as much as possible, fresh...and hey! It supports local economy. When in Ottawa, go to the Murray Street Restaurant. No wonder it's on the top ten list (rated #5) of best new restaurants in all of Canada!