“Loved the food, average service”
Review of Murray Street - CLOSED

Murray Street
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Cold Lake, Canada
“Loved the food, average service”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The décor was excellent. Loved the Star War theme. Good location in the Little Italy.

Food was very good quality and fresh. Menu was original and high quality.

Service was average, but keep in mind that they are young and can only get better with experience.

Vancouver
“Delicious French Canadian Cuisine”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

This is my second time eating here while visiting Ottawa. They do not have an extensive menu but we shared a small, medium and large plate between two of us and had room for dessert. Delicious cold mussel and potato salad with lovely tiny cornichons, then trout followed by duck - all excellent. Our server was charming, paced the meal perfectly and very helpful with a wheat allergy. Delicious cocktail menu as well and we finished it off with 2 lovely artisanal cheeses. They do not have gluten free bread or crackers but went to the trouble of bringing sliced green tomatoes to go with my cheese - surprisingly delicious.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Mexicanwannabe_10
Toronto, Canada
“Too bad about the slow service”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had a disappointing experience here for Sunday brunch. Service was painfully slow even though the restaurant had numerous empty tables. They do have a patio so perhaps that was busy? It was so bad that customers around us could also be heard grumbling about the wait.
The servers were friendly enough and they did acknowledge the delay.

The food was good when it finally came. I had the potaco, a potato "taco" stuffed with scrambled egg and pork. Others in my party had the something with pork and fried egg over toast. The toast came so hard that they couldn't cut it. I'm guessing that it was toasted a long time before it was plated so it hardened to brick consistency. They asked for another piece and it came near the end of the meal.

Its too bad that this place don't have a handle on proper service. I'm hoping that they were just understaffed that day. Due to bad experience, I'm unlikely to return.

1 Thank g4480
Ottawa
“Disappointing experience”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I jsut went to Murray Street this weekend for Sunday brunch with my 5 yo daughter. Not a picky kids (likes sushi) but we decided the baked beans, ham and fried egg would be best for her. When asked if we could replace the fried egg with scrambled the chef said, "No!" Couldn't beleive it. The waitress was mortified. She brought us extra bread. The service was horrifically slow and even the waitress noted it and brought us...extra bread while we waited. It wasn't very busy so don't know what the problem was. Had to apologize to my out of town guests. "Usually this is a really good place" What we did have was okay. It cost 98$ for 3 adults and one 5yo who didn't even eat anyting! Tres cher. I don't think I'll be going back with this type of attitude!

1 Thank Ottawasushi
Ottawa, Canada
“One of my Personal Favourite's”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I LOVE this place. I've ate here many times! Anytime someone is looking for something special, or different I always suggest Murray Street.

I am a sucker for Charcuterie plates, and I love that I can come in and really pick what I love. All the pickled veggies are amazing and their sauces (my favourite is their Dijon) always compliments the meets and cheeses. Their cheese selection is amazing I am such a big fan. The first time we went their we explained what cheeses we loved and our waiter said oh if you love aromatic cheese that has strong flavours try this. One of my favourites is Avonlea clothbound cheddar - such strong bold flavours. It's amazing!

Another personal favourite is their poutine. Their spatzle is wicked good, and the gravy is on another level. Their menu tends to change sometimes, I've had beef, deer, chicken, duck and some of the BEST pork belly - EVER. I still dream about it. Anything you order here, will be fantastic I guarantee it. I've been here multiple times and not once have I ever had bad food, or bad service. It's always fantastic. I know it's always fantastic as we've brought friends with us for the first time, and all have been blown away! This is a must eat restaurant!

• Visited December 2013