“Was I really in Ottawa?”
Review of Riviera

Riviera
Reserve with OpenTable
Riviera is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 2,961 Restaurants in Ottawa
Description: Dinner • Monday to Saturday • 5 pm to Close Lunch • Monday to Friday • 11:30 am to 2:30 pm Brunch • Sunday • 11am to 3pm
Reviewed April 2, 2017

My family reserved a table at least one month in advance. It is that in demand.
The staff is very professional yet warm and friendly, they know how to engage.
The recommendations we received were all spot on.
The food was exquisite, imaginative and wine pairing superb.
We all ordered different dishes to have a varied sampling of the food. All is very well done, served whether be from the sea or land. For example, the lobster salad was very generous in lobster (NOT the can type). I had the flank steak, I did mention that I like my beef rare if not blue but the nature of this cut needs a bit more cooking...to a medium rare. I received a medium rare but much closer to the rare side and it melted in my mouth. This flank had to be the best in Ottawa.
The decor and atmosphere in the place is not Ottawa, rather more like the old Montreal and the night we were there, the place was crawling with Liberals, no fault to the restaurant (this is a pun). Just to say, it is very nice to have a restaurant to go to all desked out and the great majority of its patrons are in suits and professional attire. Very nice.
The prices are fair for the quality of food and service. Cocktails are honest, imaginative too and some a throwback to the old classics. Chef Carmichael has outdone himself with this one. We have been a fan of his for the past 2 decades or so and he keeps impressing. Thank you.

1  Thank LikeABigPizzaPie

Reviewed March 31, 2017

I went to Riviera for lunch today and ordered the flank steak. It smelled and tasted off. Very off. The Waiter came and asked how was it and I said that it was horrible and I though the meat was off. My lunch companion indicated this as well. Instead of offering something else he said ”oh” and walked away. A complete thumbs down.

6  Thank 12ac98
Reviewed March 26, 2017 via mobile

Went for a friends birthday. Overall, we had a great evening, the oysters, steak tartare and fries with deep fried basil and rosemary were amazing! My partner had the tuna tartare and it was really fresh and flavorful. A friend had the chicken Kiev which he said was good. Another had the lobster pasta, she liked it but thought it was a little too rich. My partner had the lamb as his main. He also liked it but though it was a little too rich. A friend had ordered the steak but was told she could only have it cooked medium rare so ordered the pasta instead. The cocktails were delicious but small. They have a good wine selection. It's expensive but well worth it for a special occasion. Hope you enjoy. Bon appetit!

Reviewed March 26, 2017

You walk into Riviera and its elegance is upon you. It is a beautiful restaurant, but will the the staff and food match the beauty? Without hesitation, absolutely.

From the moment you walk in, you feel the vibe; the energy. The staff is attentive without being intrusive; knowledgable and professional. Marshall was our server and it was a pleasure to share our experience with him. His recommendations for starters and entrees were spot on.

When there is an amazing bar in a restaurant and their drink menu offers chilled, favourites and specialty concoctions, as well as beers on tap and an extensive wine list, why not start with a cocktail? A Manhatten made with Bridgehead coffee infused bourbon and a Grapefruits of Wrath tequila based cocktail. Both were delicious. A Spanish Cava came next; a rosé. Very nice.

We placed our order and selected one of the special starters of the evening, the scallop ceviche. Fresh, light with a blood orange vinegrette and the tuna crudo; again fresh, with a slice of jalapeño and puffed quinoa made for interesting texture with each bite. Next course was a spot prawn and scallop chowder for my boyfriend and a grilled warm chicory salad with pear (and hazelnut, I believe) for me. The chowder was creamy with underlying taste of bacon; my warm salad was incredibly good and the sauce or purée was creamy and rich. Yum! Both of these courses were a decent size. Now comes dinner and we chose their short rib and the lamb on Marshall's recommendation. Both meals were perfectly seasoned, delicious, well balanced and a very good portion size. We had Rosso di Montalcino, again on Marshall's recommendation and it paired perfectly with our meaty entrees.

We did have dessert; rum cake (rummy and buttery) for my boyfriend and carrot creamcheese (their version of carrot cake, wow!).

It's time for Ottawa to have a restaurant of this scale. It could easily be located in NYC or Paris, but I am very happy that it is here. Can't wait to return. So, 2 cocktails, 2 glasses of sparkling, a bottle of wine, 2 starters, a soup, a salad, 2 mains, 2 Americanos and 2 desserts for $400 including tax and tip ($160 for food; $136 for alcohol) .

Worth every penny.

Reviewed March 24, 2017

An amazing space, incredibly attentive service from all and quality of food and presentation excellent. Two of our guests were gluten free and they were extremely accommodating. The Art Deco interior has been restored and with the bar the considerable length of the restaurant the interior is very special. All in all a very positive experience.