“A very tasty meal!”

Cuisines: Scottish, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I went to Ottawa in the end of last November, so the weather was already cold and the streets of the Byward Market were not as lively as it is on summer, and I could not find the hot spots just by looking at the big lines in front of restaurants. I went into this place with a "lets-give-it-a-shot-attitude" and once inside the first sight was completely misleading. It is sort of dark and the TVs were on sports channel, something that did not match my idea of a Scottish pub. The doorwoman was very sweet, and right after she showed me to my seat a waittress was ready to take my order. I went with the Three-cheese Burger and a pint of Old Speckled Hen. Boy, was I surprised! I do not usually expect great things from a pub, but that burger was certainly one of the best I ever had. The beer was amazing too, perfect temperature! I really recommend this place.

1  Thank Alan_Goncalves
There are newer reviews for Highlander Pub

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I like this restaurant/bar. The menu has some Scottish dishes including hagus, as well, they serve over 100 different Scotch's. A great place for a nice warm meal with a great Scotch on a winter evening.

1  Thank Jix_Logan5
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Great pub, excellent service... you can buy a pony keg type of thing of beer to keep on your table. Doesn't get better than that! I order the nachos and they were fantastic.

1  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Don't pass this by. There are the over-200 Scotches. There are more beers than you need (including a chocolate beer)!! There are friendly guys and girls in kilts. There will soon be more Scottish ambiance than you can stand (wait for it)!! And there is Chef Jason.

Since his arrival, the menu items have become much more than pub fare. Don't forget the daily pie or the daily soup + sandwich + pint which they must sell at a loss!!

But DO DO go to the monthly "Kitchen Features " menu. Here you will find Jason's special creations. Currently dishes such as Pan Seared Steelhead Trout and Scottish Hunters Stew require a try. And I'll put the current Grilled Nagano Pork Loin with squash tart and creamy white bean, ham and Swiss Cheese ragout up against anything Bekta or Victoria Trattoria has to offer. Just outstanding tastes and presentation!

Choose a time when it is not full of tourists (Ken loves them) or kids with deafening sound, or office groups from NDHQ; and take your time and enjoy!! You'll never be able to go further into the Market to eat again!!!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have visited this place many times and I have to admit the whiskey selection and the options for the size of drink are wonderful. Dave, Nelson and kirsten are cool bartenders and the food is good and hearty. Don't forget tuesday trivia with Nelson

1  Thank JeffkVancouver