“Hoot Mon”

Cuisines: Scottish, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Don't pass this by. There are the over-200 Scotches. There are more beers than you need (including a chocolate beer)!! There are friendly guys and girls in kilts. There will soon be more Scottish ambiance than you can stand (wait for it)!! And there is Chef Jason.

Since his arrival, the menu items have become much more than pub fare. Don't forget the daily pie or the daily soup + sandwich + pint which they must sell at a loss!!

But DO DO go to the monthly "Kitchen Features " menu. Here you will find Jason's special creations. Currently dishes such as Pan Seared Steelhead Trout and Scottish Hunters Stew require a try. And I'll put the current Grilled Nagano Pork Loin with squash tart and creamy white bean, ham and Swiss Cheese ragout up against anything Bekta or Victoria Trattoria has to offer. Just outstanding tastes and presentation!

Choose a time when it is not full of tourists (Ken loves them) or kids with deafening sound, or office groups from NDHQ; and take your time and enjoy!! You'll never be able to go further into the Market to eat again!!!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have visited this place many times and I have to admit the whiskey selection and the options for the size of drink are wonderful. Dave, Nelson and kirsten are cool bartenders and the food is good and hearty. Don't forget tuesday trivia with Nelson

1  Thank JeffkVancouver
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The biggest difference between the Highlander and a Pub in Glasgow is that the food at the Highlander is excellent. Best pies in the city as well as the most extensive assortment of whisky. Nice decor and outstanding service.
If you want to go to a pub in the market, bypass all the faux Irish ones and go to the Highlander.

Cody L, Manager at Highlander Pub, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us! I am very happy you enjoyed your time at our pub and were able to enjoy our vast scotch collection. If you are interested in learning more about scotch we do have a scotch tasting on the second Sunday of every month.

Thanks again,

Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a great pub.
The location is very convenient to byward in Ottawa.
Both of us totally enjoyed the meal. Service was quick and friendly.
The food was great and well presented. Staff was friendly and seem to enjoy their job.
A great place to stop for a brew and to grab a meal.
No problem recommending this to anyone.

I'd like to personally thank you for taking the time to review our pub! I am very happy to hear that you two enjoyed your meal and your overall experience. Please give me a call or stop by next time you find your selves in the Ottawa area.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stopped in for a drink and a quick bite to eat while visiting the Byward Market area. The pub was not especially crowded, but our waitress seemed unhappy to discuss the beers on tap with my husband and a little put-out that all I wanted to drink was water. We ordered appetizers--a house salad for me, the breaded zucchini sticks for my husband, and he had two drinks, all of which were excellent. Considering the standard fare, however, and the friendliness we experienced everywhere else, not sure if a return is in our future.

First of all i would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take them very seriously and they are a great way to get guest feedback. I am very happy you enjoyed your salad and the beer met your expectations. However it does concern me that your server did not even come close to providing the level of service we expect from our staff. I am very sorry that the server did not do the proper beer descriptions as this is a staple in our pub as we have many international brews. If you would please call me at 613-562-5678, I would really like to speak to you about the service and how it can be improved. As well next time your in Ottawa please give me a call and I will ensure your next experiences with us is a good one.