“good when you don't want to venture outside in the winter”
Review of The Rox

The Rox
Ranked #778 of 2,767 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Pizza
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Montreal, Canada
“good when you don't want to venture outside in the winter”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We were staying in Ottawa Residence Inn Downtown and on a cold winter night decided to try Phi which is in the adjacent Indigo Hotel and can be reached without venturing outside. Overall the meal was okay but the billing of a gourmet restaurant is overdone. The salads ( a beet salad and a Caesar) were large, fresh the the dressings were a little sweet. My wife had a pizza which she enjoyed (and I did too having a couple of slices for lunch the next day. I had the shepherd;s pie, not exciting. Now the service. There was one server and two tables.
We were told to take whatever table we wanted. We took a four which was preset; I am used to the server removing the extra settings. This did not happen. We ordered a bottle of wine. It arrived uncorked (actually unscrewed) and the server poured a 'sample' in each glass to taste but left before we could comment, never to return to fill or refill the glasses. Our mains arrived while we were still finishing our salads. There was no bread service. We passed on dessert. Coffee was okay
Food prices for the mains were average to high. The wine selection was limited but the prices were reasonable.

• Visited December 2013

“Starbucks Coffee”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

They brew starbucks coffee right at the order..quick and efficient and not very crowded...you can pick up energy bars as well.

Visited February 2014
Georgetown, Canada
“good food”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

love a place with few, but well prepared meals.
had the pizza and breakfast and both were very good
you can tell the food was not prepared, or warmed up and reasonably priced.

Visited March 2014
Winnipeg
“First Visit Might have been a fluke”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

A few months ago I visited this restaurant while staying at the hotel. The steak was surprisingly good but the service was terrible. This time around the food was hit and miss but the service was consistently bad. There were 3 tables and a total of 6 people in the restaurant when I was there and it was hard to get noticed by the server/bartender. There were other servers but they appeared to be doing room service. This time again I had the steak and whomever is cooking the steak knows how to cook it to order. The next morning I had the omelet and I have to say that this was by far the worst $12 omelet I've ever had. The server took my order of a pepper, mushroom and bacon omelet. He then returned to tell me that they were out of mushrooms. I found that odd but said not to worry about it. No sooner had I said that, he was back out of the kitchen with my omelet. How on earth do you cook an omelet that fast??? Well that's because it was obvious that a plain omelet was pre-cooked. It was cold and raw peppers and pre-cooked bacon were wrapped inside the omelet. The strangest thing I've ever had in a restaurant! It came with pre-packed breakfast potatoes and a slice of melon & orange. I would have been better off to go to Tim Horton's next door and grab a breakfast sandwich. At least I know that it would have been cooked on the spot. I like the hotel but they really have to do something about the restaurant food and it's really bad service.

• Visited January 2014
Cayuga, Canada
“Lovely Brunch”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Friendly efficient service, delicious omelettes and fruit cups, unlimited coffee, and convenient location

Visited January 2014