“Pleasant experience”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Oshawa
“Pleasant experience”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

After attending a seminar one evening in downtown Oshawa, we happened upon this restaurant within walking distance and stopped in for dinner.

A courteous hello was offered and we were escorted immediately to a nice window-side table. Our server Kate, wasted no time approaching us, welcoming us to the eatery, offering menus and advising us of the daily special.

We settled upon their evening special of New England style clam chowder and a Fettuccini dish with mussels, shrimp, chorizo sausage accented with Puttanesca sauce, baby arugula, roma tomato and romano cheese, all garnished with fresh parmesan cheese.

The chowder arrived very quickly with complimentary breads. It was wonderfully hot (temp) and flavorful. Best of all, it was not gelatin-thick and filled with huge lumps of potato like most restaurants serve, but instead fresh and delicate, each spoonful delicious and appetizing.

Kate, an ever-attentive server, cleared our bowls and soon arrived with the fettuccini. Again, fresh and hot, absolutely delightful food, seasoned just right. Portions were more than ample and we actually took away that which we could not finish.

This was an all-around good dining experience from start to finish. A spur of the moment decision to try this eating establishment turned out well and I'm not hesitant to recommend them.

p.s. I've heard from other sources that the Caesar salad with a skewer of shrimp is excellent. Will give that a try as a lunch outing sometime.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Peter S

Courtice, Canada
“Good food!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Really nice Italian food. The salads and pizza's are excellent! The daily specials are usually exceptional.

• Visited September 2013
“Autofest evening”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Another couple along with my wife and I had dinner the evening of Autofest in downtown Oshawa on Friday . All 4 meals were different and each were pleased with their fare. From mixed pasta dishes to the pizza we were very satisfied. Great service on each course including drinks. No dessert, we were stuffed. Very, very busy with all the traffic and we were seated immediately without reservations, though some patrons did have them. All in all very good Italian cuisine and the servers did a splendid job.

• Visited August 2013
Newcastle, Canada
“Adorable and romantic”
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I have been once for lunch and three times for dinner. Excellent service. My perfect date night. Best cappachino ever. Picked up a pizza once for dinner. Delicious from the stone oven. Hard to bring young children but I would rather enjoy an adult night here anyway. They were very sweet to the kids but its a small space and their little screams disrupt other diners.

• Visited March 2013
“Very Average”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I've been to Avanti's many times in the past and have enjoyed, but last night was a different story .My husband and I brought some relatives from out of town to dinner and we were not impressed. We ordered 2 antipasto misto and were not thrilled by the sight of the plates the 2 slices of provolone that were on each plate were so thin you could see through them. For the amount of money I would expect more on the plate. I think they have changed their sauce or maybe got new cooks since I was last there in January but it was not something I would recommend. To sum it up if you are looking for a very average Italian restaurant then go I don't think we will be going back. Relatives were so not impressed>

• Visited August 2013