“Delicious food, reasonably priced but ho hum setting and service”
Review of Bistro 238

Bistro 238
Ranked #13 of 378 Restaurants in Oshawa
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Horseshoe Valley, Canada
“Delicious food, reasonably priced but ho hum setting and service”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Tucked away at the back of a strip plaza, Bistro 238 offers terrifc food but needs some attention to decor and service. The window tables overlook the parking lot so they really need to create a nice impression inside. Admittedly we went without a reservation during a very busy time of year and as a result we seated in "the overflow" area, right at the very back of the restaurant, tightly squeezed in between the door and the table behind us. Across from us was an office area which was only partially hidden by a curtain - we got up and closed the curtain. One wall was a rich dark brown, the other side gold. There should have been pictures art or a mirror on the walls especially in this narrow dark corridor where we were seated . The tables were set with lovely white linen tablecloths and napkins, but some of the cutlery was missing ( and not replaced) and the chocolate brown chairs, which offered no back support, were slippery such that you kept sliding forward. In addition to the menu which offered a variety of sandwiches and pasta dishes, the Bistro offered some daily specials. Sandwiches are served with a generous salad. I thoroughly enjoyed the flavourful ceasar salad with freshly grated parmissan cheese. Unlike most standard restaurant caesars, the dressing did not heavily smother the romaine and there was a nice peppery quality to it.. I can highly recommend the warm foccaci bread with roasted vegetables and feta cheese (9.99). My husband had the smoked salmon on croissant (11.99) We did have to wait not only for our food but water refills and delivery of the bill but as I indicated they were particularly busy no doubt with Office parties etc. Washroom though clean, needed some attention. Instead of towel dispensers, a roll of paper towelling was perched on the edge of the sink in both the men's and women's washroom.

• Visited December 2012

Cumbria,England
“nice memories”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

It is a while since I have eaten there, as it was while I was visiting Oshawa for my son's wedding but I ate there twice during my stay and both were excellent and one of those occasions was the wedding breakfast. (if that is what Canadians call it!) - the meal in the afternoon after the Church. We had the whole restaurant to ourselves and Simon put on a beautiful meal. When i re-visit Oshawa, Bistro 238 will definitely be on my list.

• Visited March 2012
Wasaga Beach, Canada
“good italian food”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a little gem in the eastern part of Oshawa in a plaza. The food is very good and they offer specials, right at the moment, on Thursday nights which is pasta night (dec.2012). They have a ceasar salad which is the best. The other plus is how reasonable the prices are. Most items on the menu are $10 to $15.00 for an entre. We enjoy the white tablecloths, friendly service and good food. Give it a try when in Oshawa. You will probably need reservations especially on the weekends.

• Visited December 2012
Hampton, Ontario, Canada
“Excellent!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I love the atmosphere at this very small restaurant....very cozy and intimate....a fabulous spot for a quiet (romantic) dinner for two! Food was excellent and so was the service. I also love that it's not the same food you'll find at every other restairant....unique and very tasty!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Nicole M
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Dinner at Bistro 238”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had the pleasure of eating here last night and it was very enjoyable.
It is a small restaurant that features a variety of dishes and a lot of pasta.
We had a flatbread brushetta to start and it was very good. I had the chicken penne and my dinner partner had a curry chicken, and both were very good.
It is a quiet place to chat and we could have sat there a long time and no one was rushing us.
It is a little hard to find, if you have a GPS, not so bad but I did go past the plaza and had to make a U turn.
I would eat here again.