“EXCELLENT FOD AND SERVICE”
Review of Harpo's Restaurant

Harpo's Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 373 Restaurants in Oshawa
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Vanier
oshawa
“EXCELLENT FOD AND SERVICE”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

our daughter gave us a gift certificate at Christmas for harpos restaurant in Oshawa. we went there on april 2 2013 for dinner. they opened at 1700 hours we arrived at 1730 hours. our server gave us a worm welcome as was the pleasant service throught the entire meal.. harpos had a special meal deal on for $30.00 each plus tax drinks and tea or coffee. the menu was soup, or salad, prime rib roast with Julian potatoes and vegitables. followed by desert of cake or pie with ice cream.. the service throught the meal was excellent as each course arrived at just the right time allow for sum digestion between courses. the prime rib at medium was just right usually of specials the portions are smaller than at a regular price but not a harpors the prime rib was a good sized portion and quite filling. with the soup meal and dessert I did not leave hungry.. harpos is an moderately priced restaurant the normal price on the menue for the prime rib was $35.00 with the soup and desert and drinks extra . we were lucky by getting everything for $30.00 each. if you have not been to harpos I recommend that you try it is well worth the time for an enjoyable evening dinner

• Visited April 2013

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
“Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We went there for the 1st. time last night, for my birthday. It's the last time we'll go there! Reservation was made with an order of a bottle of champange to be served to us. We got there on time and our coats were takened from us and gave us a choice of lounge or cafeteria style. We sat down ordered drinks and received water, drinks and garlic bread. After waiting for an hour, we decided that we waited long enough to order our meals. Somehow did not like the feeling in there. Yes, it did not feel that clean! We paid for our drinks and left! The waitress came running out to us as we were getting into our car. She said that there was miscommunication between her and the other waitress. She also offered us gift certicate for next time. NOT! There was a roomful of noisy party at the back. The lounge had us and another couple. They were there when we got there and just got the meal when we were leaving! Not impressed! We went to "Shoeless Joe" and had a lovely meal

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank Bonny D
oshawa
“harpos oshawa ontario”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The food at this Place was reasonable. The biggest issue that I have with this establishment is the filth of the restaurant. I had to ask for cutlery and bread plate as the ones we had were noticeably dirty. Rubbing my finger over the plate confirmed it. The ones that were brought were no better! There is not excuse for this at all. Waitess was embarassed but explained problems with the dishwasher. The bath room was a bit scary too. If this is what we visibly see what does the kitchen look like. Think that they need to have an "inspector" in to see if this establishment should be up and running.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank betty r
Whitby
“Delicious!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I went to Harpo's with one of my girlfriends. It was my first time and it was a very busy night. The staff was very friendly seating us and our waitress approached us quickly. We got the saganaki to begin with, which was amazing! followed by a ceacer salad and for the main course I had the peppercorn steak. It was a so delicious the peppercorn sauce is to die for and my steak was cooked perfectly. The garlic bread that comes with the meal was also amazing. Although it was a busy night our server was very attentive and we had a great time.

• Visited December 2012
Oshawa
“Hilarious... but not in a good way.”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

So the garish sign out front advertizing the 'pre fix' menu (yup, that's how the spelled it, no one speaks french at Harpos I guess) should have given it away, but we were going with a group, so we went in. Twenty years ago this might have been a nice place, however it hasn't aged well, and it's pretty dirty and run down inside with various wires hanging loose from the ceiling and paint scraped away from most surfaces and a general sense of grime just from everything being so antiquated.
As for the food, I had the salmon, and my wife had the vegetarian meal. The salmon wasn't the freshest and was on the small side of average, and the vegetables consisted of a couple potatoes and some of the largest carrots cut into quarters I've ever seen (I thought they were sweet potatoes until I ate them), but the salmon at least was barely adequate if not very good.
The vegetarian meal, on the other hand, was probably the worst we've ever seen. It consisted of some spaghetti noodles with a tomato sauce with about half of a pound of feta (at least we hope it was feta) on top that had started turning yellow on one side. On top of this was eight sticks of what had at some point been asparagus, however it was so overcooked that it wasn't able to be picked up with a fork any longer and just disintegrated. It was fashionably garnished with pomegranate and dill.. as was every dish... cause who doesn't like pomegranate and dill mixed together? I wish we had had a camera with us, because we both though it looked like someone had strangled a green octopus to death, left in the sun for a week and then served it. And best of all, it also cost 30.00 as did the salmon as part of the 'pre fix' meal.
My wife valiantly tried the meal, but it was so bland and overcooked that she left it. The waitress (who in fairness did a decent job) came and removed it, and when she came back told us that she had told the chef. However, telling the chef is apparently meaningless at this restaurant since no new meal appeared, and we were presented with a bill for the full amount at the end of the meal.
Dessert was the highlight (but you can't really mess up store-bought ice cream with jam on top.)
So... was the meal worth the nearly 80.00 we were charged with only their terribly bad coffee to drink? Nope... not even close. I can say with confidence that I'd rather eat just about anywhere else.

• Visited January 2013