“One word...shabby”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Oshawa
Northwest Ontario
“One word...shabby”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

OK....I'll forget the guy screaming obscenities at his significant other at 3:30 a.m. after she locked him out of his room...that could happen anywhere...right??? although I doubt the walls in most hotels would carry the sound quite as well. This place just misses the mark. We arrived at about 3:30 p.m. to the smell of bleach everywhere. I could not believe how little housekeeping had been done for this late in the day. Our room was ready however, so can't really complain about that. There was not one thing to go crazy about but it was a collection of little things. The sorry condition of the carpet in the room, The old...and I mean old television, the fact that nothing seemed really dirty but it did not seem clean either. I don't expect a 5-star when I stay at a Comfort Inn but while many of them are very nice, this hotel really, really needs some TLC. I don't think Oshawa is the vacation capital of Canada but on my next stay I will definitely try somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Snowfugitive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

I have worked in the hotel industry and I have traveled and stayed in some cheaper hotels.... THIS HAS TO BE THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! The lady working the desk upon our arrival was slow and very easily confused. The room smelled, Carpet had giant rolls in it, burn holes in the carpet, a large red stain on the carpet between the beds. I was not about to walk around in this room with my shoes off!! I would never stay at this facility again... Next year I will stay down the highway more or at the best western next door!!!

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank TCM22
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

Okay not the most up to date or stylish accommodation, but in this neck of the woods this place is not bad value at about 95 CAD per night. Certainly don't pay more for this place than the Quality Suites across the 401.

I stayed twice and both times had large rooms with fridges and one had a micowave.

Overall average.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank 777flyer
Port Elgin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

Check in smooth, swipe would not work in back door. Toilet overflowed on first flush. Could write name in dust on top of TV. Switched rooms. Freezing cold. Dusty. Bathroom ledges dirty. Took about 4 hrs to get to comfort temperatue. "Sunshine breakfast" is prepakaged individually wrapped food items.....not recommended for family stays. I would have taken photos but I think you get the point...oh yes, seems to be a train yard in behind as well....noise, noise, noise.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Jason S
ottawa, ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2009

Headed down for a sporting event, we had booked for 2 days, when we arrived, we were told that we had booked for one day but they were able to squeeze us in. When we got to the room, it was as cold as outside - inside the room. We wore jackets and scarves for the rest of the evening in the room. Went to front desk and the only thing that could be provided was an extra bed sheet.

The room smelled as if someone had vomitted and it hadn't been cleaned up. The carpet was soft in some placed and hard in others. Oh and not to mention the dead fly near the radiator - must have died from the cold.

Well, upon returning from our trip, my daughter, girlfriend and I all fell sick, and went to get checked at the clinic and was diagnosed all three with nasal infections...hmmm...coinsidence.

Should have stayed at the Best Western beside it...

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank alain-god
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

The other night, I was in the unfortunate situation of needing a room at the last minute in Oshawa. I had heard this place was ok, so called and had a room for $95 - not a spectacular deal, but for the last minute good.

The motel is located just South of the 401 near the train station. I'm not sure what's within walking distance, but every imaginable restaurant is within a 5 minute drive. There was some road construction at the time, but I didn't notice any noise - I guess it stopped at 5.

Checkin was quick and easy - the young girl had us in our room in a couple of minutes despite not having a reservation.

The room's decor was a bit older - definitely not stylish or picture worthy, but it was very clean, had two queen beds, a microwave, fridge, a nice big screen TV (not flat screen) and... best of all for business people... a wired ethernet internet port! Unfortunately, I didn't have my laptop, but this feature alone might make me chose it next time. The bathroom was simple and clean, with lots of towels. Sink and shower worked well for the most part - there was a very small leak in the pop-up drain mechanism of the sink - I left a note about that. It was so tiny that most people probably wouldn't have noticed though - I didn't count it against the review of this place.

A small (coffee, juice, wrapped muffins/waffels, cereal, etc) breakfast is available in the morning - nothing fancy, but good for a quick bite to eat before heading out.

Our bill was slipped under the door during the night, so we could leave in the morning quickly.

True I was expecting a dump, but this was much better than that, and I genuinly would stay here again when visiting the area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Lansing, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

A year ago, this place was rundown and seedy. Now it has been recently renovated and is nice again. The room decor was fresh and attractive, the bed was great and the staff were warmly friendly. Not so great was the brekfast, but it was no worse than average for a two-star motel.

The main drawback at the present time is the seemingly never-ending road construction of the intersection of Bloor and Stevenson streets. This has been going on now for literally years, and is proceeding (?) at a snail's pace.

BTW, the previous review identifying this motel as a former "strip club" is incorrect. That applies to the current Best Western which is adjacent to the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oshawa
Vanier
Travelodge Oshawa Whitby
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown - Toronto Area
Quality Suites
#2 of 7 in Whitby

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!