“Good For Conferences”

Durham Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Oshawa
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Have stayed here several times for conferences & overnight for a national known service club organization for young adults. Never had a problem with the meals & with my rooms over the years. Staff has always been friendly & effective in dealing with customer service matters. Not major problems noted with my various stays here as well.

Room Tip: Close to Hwy. 401
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank b0b55russell
Kayo_Mehta, General Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Thank you for your comments. At the Quality Hotel & Conference Centre we are proud to have hosted very important conefrences and banquets. Our banquet and catering department are excellent in the quality of food and service and the hotel is always busy with its six meeting rooms and banquet halls occupied constantly.

We are planning extensive renovations of both the hotel and banquet facailities and are very excited about the changes that are starting to take place. We hope you have another occasion to visit us and see the changes for yourself.

Once again thank you for your comments.

There are newer reviews for Durham Hotel & Conference Centre

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We have gone to the (Holiday Inn-Quality Suites-soon to be the Marriott) for the past five years for Christmas, New years, Mothers day Fathers day and Easter. There are usually 10-12 of us. We indulge in the buffets @ 30 per person. I will say it rather expensive @ $40 per person now. Although the variety is good and the food is good it is not worth the increase of $40/ per person especially the service. They charge for tea & coffee 2.00$ per person and add a 15% gratuity on top of all that. So it becomes quite pricey.
This time around there were only 9 of us but they charged us for 11 as the initial reservation was for 11 but two were unable to attend this year. When we advised there were only 9 of us, the woman (who knows us by name now) came and counted-fair enough. But then she counted two more times and then charged us for 11 huh? My father had to be taken home early so when she counted after the bill inquiry (4th time counting) there were only 8 and did she question that ...oh no!! of course not. She then said something so bizarre that prompted me to write this review. she said "well now I have to void this and start over and I DON'T LIKE TO DO THAT!" Well ok, but WE don't like to pay for 2 people who aren't there!! Really ?? Well, upon checking our bill she charged us 15% on 11 persons and charged us for 11 coffee. We were only NINE!! It is a buffet, we poured our own $2.00 coffee for cryin out loud.
When she came with the bill it was 12:30 she said I'm not rushing you but we have another reservation. I asked at what time as we were still eating . 1:30 she answers.. We were very polite and patient - no scene as we knew we would not be back after this
I certainly do hope the Marriott doesn't try to be so greedy because people want to be treated fairly.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank pinda91

Thank you for your comments. At the Quality Hotel it is our mission that all our guests have a pleasant stay and a good time and we strive for that. Our special buffets are excellent and extensive and we have priced it reasonable.

Due to the popularity of our buffets we have at times had to have more than 2 seatings, so that we can accommodate all those who want to come. There is no question of being greedy and we give ample time for all to enjoy their meal. This time there were 2 seatings. the first at 11.30 the second at 2.00pm. Any drinks and coffee/tea are extra. Your party was charged correctly as per the number of people who partaked of the buffet.

I am sorry to read you will not be back and hope you will change your mind. Thank you for being loyal guests all these years.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We have stayed at this location many times over the years. It used to be a Holiday Inn, but the infrastructure is failing too much for their marque. The rooms are comfortable, but aged. Furnishings and bedding have been maintained and updated, but the bathrooms are small and inefficient.Heating has been upgraded and works well. Restaurant services are excellent and well priced for a hotel service. Check in and check out were fast and efficient. We were able to check in very early and were allowed to check out late - unusual in a busy city location. We had a room with a walk out to a courtyard and used this regularly as a shortcut to the main business section of the hotel, entering by the restaurant patio door - quite convenient as this is a large strip type hotel. There are not many hotels in this area and this one serves a purpose. Soon the hotel is scheduled to be demolished and converted to a Marrriott. It will be a welcome change, but in the meantime, the place is reasonably comfortable and quite useful.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle of the 2 story section are quieter and have views of fields or courtyard.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments. At the Quality Hotel & Conference Centre it is our mission to ensure that all of our guests have a pleasant stay. The hotel is old but will soon be undergoing extensive renovations which have already started. New rooms, new pool, new public areas and lobby and a new upgraded exterior. We are very excited about these changes and look forward to welcoming you to our new hotel again.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

This will be the absolute last time my family will stay at this hotel. The pool was closed 3 times the main day of our stay with our kids not able to use it at all. Hugely disappointing. I was told their was no compensation for this and it was due to high volume. They need to figure out a way to maintain their pool if they are full or warn people or turn hockey teams away if they don't want them using the pool. There were people in the pool when our team went to get their suits on and by the time they returned they had closed it. When I asked if they might open it from 10:00 -11:30 to compensate for its closure they said they had no staff.mwhat hotel has staff in the pool? We had rented a hospitality suite with the rooms to be surrounding it only to find that we had the furthest possible rooms from suite. Parents were threatened that if even one child was found in the hall with one mini stick that the whole team would be kicked out. This was before any kind of mishap had occurred , (and none ever did occur). Some rooms never got made up and the front desk staff did not seem to care. The hall guards were yelling at children. Anyways I could go on. I stayed the night before in the hilton garden inn Mississauga airport west where we were treated like royally, pools were open even though they were full of hockey teams, comfortable, clean. It was also considerably less expensive. Not a happy customer!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Kayo_Mehta, General Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate all comments and endeavour to respond to all of them. I regret that your stay was not a pleasant one. Yes, we did close the pool down that day for urgent cleaning requirements. This was done in full compliance of Health and Safety regulations as directed by Ontario. I do understand the inconvenience caused by the pool being closed for 3 hours but it was done because it was absolute necessary and for the safety of all users including your own children. We worked hard to re-open the pool as soon as possible.

At check-in we give all guests our rules and regulations so they are aware of our quiet hours, and other rules such as no gathering, playing or running up and down in the corridors. This again is for the benefit of all our guests including yourselves. Our staff our patient but if we get a complaint from neighbouring rooms about noisy activity in the corridor it is our duty to take action after all they are guests too and everyone deserves a good night's sleep.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you need to discuss.

Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights for my daughters basketball tournament. Like other reviewers have said it is dated and in need of a really big face lift. The room seemed reasonably clean to me, the beds were to my surprise quite comfortable. The hotel has an indoor pool which my kids used. It seemed clean and they enjoyed themselves. Overall this hotel is nothing special, but for a night or two it is acceptable.

Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for your review. At the Quality Hotel we value the opinion of all our guests as it helps us in our continuous improvement process.

Yes, the hotel is due for extensive renovations from top to
bottom. New rooms, new lobby and public areas, new pool on our way to converting to a luxury brand.

We look forward to seeing you at our hotel again.

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I wasn't able to stay the night and opted to stay at a different hotel due to many issues. First, the agent at the front desk was anything but helpful. She was rude and barely spoke to me. Before I even got to the room I noticed a sign that stated there would be no hot water the following day. I would think that not being able to shower the next morning would be something told to me upon check in but apparently not. When we got into the room it smelled of old smoke and as if someone had used the washroom. The bed was extremely worn and one of the legs were broken causing it to sink in the middle. I was told during check in that because I booked through Priceline breakfast was not available to me although it's stated that it is included with all rooms. There was also a straw underneath the bed and dust covering almost everything. The hotel was filthy overall and I'm very happy that I chose to leave and go to another hotel. Save your time and money and stay somewhere else.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. At the Quality hotel we value the comments of all our guests as it helps us in our continuous improvement process.
We had to carry out urgent repairs to our hot water pipes and we had scheduled the work from 10.00am in the morning so as to cause the minimal inconvenience and disruption to stays. There were notices at the front desk, pool area, lobby, hallways and elevator from the previous day informing guests of the same.

We are a full service hotel with a restaurant and as such we do not offer a free breakfast. All online booking agencies including Priceline as well as our own website has that clearly posted.

I am sorry the you were not satisfied and did not stay at our hotel. I would like to apologize on behalf of the staff and management.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I have stayed recently at the "Quality Inn" in Oshawa. The hotel is dated, the parking lot is crumbling and the customer service at the front desk is the worst I have ever experienced. A violent incident occurred at the hotel with people fighting and extremely loud screaming. Voicing concerns to the front desk resulted in no attention being given and I was told that it was my problem and they wouldn't be kicking out the troublemakers. My concerns were further trivialize in the morning when my complaints resulted in the front desk help simply walking away. This hotel will become a Courtyard Marriott.... beware.

Room Tip: Avoid the front desk, the car swallowing pot holes, the violent offenders and .... well I am not sur...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments. We value the opinion of all our guests as it helps us in our continuous improvement process.

We did have an incident when 2 groups were arguing and unfortunately it spilled out in the lobby. Our Manager on duty quickly dealt with it cautioning both groups. We do not take the step of asking a group to leave unless the situation is intolerable and would first call the police in. This incident did not warrant that step.

Our front desk staff are very experienced and trained extensively in guest service. We also have a manager on duty every day from 7am to 11pm to take quick action on all guest relations issues. Rest assured your concerns have been noted and acted upon.

Kayo Mehta

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oshawa
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown - Toronto Area
Quality Suites
#2 of 7 in Whitby
Vanier
Travelodge Oshawa Whitby
Comfort Inn
#5 of 7 in Oshawa

Been to Durham Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!