“Great Place To Stay”

Durham Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Oshawa
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I am a little late with this review as I stayed just before Labour Day weekend. I arrived later in the evening and was tired. I was at the front desk by a very nice, friendly lady (sorry I didn't get her name) and she just brightened up my day. The hotel is very nice, clean and seems very well maintained. The breakfast was very good in the morning as well. I will stay here again and recommend it to all travelers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Kayo M, General Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for your comments, we apprecaite the time taken to write a review of your stay at our property. We are glad you had a great stay at our hotel and I will be certainly pass on your compliments to our staff. It is the aim of all staff at the Quality Hotel to ensure an enjoyable stay for all our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed on October 13. Our short time was thoroughly enjoyable due to the great food and excellent service. The check-in was a breeze and check-out was even better. We noticed a great attention to detail from the staff. It shows that they enjoy working at the Quality Hotel. Be sure to check out the pool!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank yyz4567
gm_cn971, Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for your comments, we apprecaite the time taken to write a review of your stay at our property. WE are glad you had a great stay at our hotel and I will be certainly pass on your compliments to our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Beautiful service staff and great pool indoor amazing chef who caters to personalized eating.great recreation facilities.good for family and business stay.will stay again when get a chance.great rates for a big hotel

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for your comments, we apprecaite the time taken to write a review of your stay at our hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I rated the hotel average, but if there was a category for average PLUS, I would give it that rating.
We arrived on Friday night at around 8:30 PM and were greeted at the front desk by a lovely, prompt and efficient lady name Tina.
We were given our room immediately
We were travelling to see some family and it was our 39th wedding anniversary.
Darryll Hunter, the GM made the evening special with his personal touch for which we are very gratefull and so thank him.
The room was clean and perfect for us.
Overall it was a good experience and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

MIke from London ON

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
gm_cn971, General Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank You for the kind review. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Looking forward to welcoming you back, and again "Happy Anniversary".

Kind Regards,

Darryll Hunter

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here this past weekend for 3 days. On the final night of our stay we arrived back to one of our rooms to find out the maid had taken our shower curtain out of our room and did not replace it. I then phoned down to the front desk to see what happened with it and the front desk staff had no clue as to what happened. He did offer another room to me but at 11:30pm and the 3 night of staying in this room I was not packing up all my belongings and switching rooms, again he offered another room to shower in and I declined as I was not bringing all my toiletries and clothes into another guest room to shower in. I had asked him to bring another shower curtain from another room and this took another 45 minutes before he sent someone down to deliver the shower curtain to me. I thought at this time the person would have the shower curtain in hand, NO!! He sent a security guard to my room and I had to at 12:00am go to another room take the shower curtain down myself and bring it back to my room and set it up again myself! Completely unacceptable! That night our air conditioner also completely broke! It was blowing hot air out and sounded like it was going to take off out of the room! I went to ask the next morning for a manager to discuss the issues I had the previous night and the only manager that was on duty was Donna from housekeeping. She was no where to be found in the hotel and the guy at the front desk apologized and continued to say my room was already discounted that there was nothing he could do! Firstly, I did not ask to speak to someone at the front desk, the staff he clearly could not help me the previous night! I had asked to speak to a manager that was on duty. Secondly I NEVER once asked for my room to be discounted any further at all!! I just wanted to let the management of this hotel know that the situation our group encountered was completely unacceptable. We have stayed at this hotel for the past 3 years around this time and its the worst shape it has been in. Next year we will be staying somewhere else! Also never once told about the breakfast the hotel had offered. Coupons were given out to only select rooms in our group?? Not to sure why as we were all in the same party paying the exact same rates in the exact same rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank willhaase19
gm_cn971, General Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at The Quality Hotel & Conference Centre, Oshawa. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Darryll Hunter

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a pleasant stay at the Quality Inn .We got a discount rate for our wedding guests a very good deal . Its a nice hotel staff friendly and the place is very clean. Lots of parking for the guets . The only thing that was odd. A bunch of us went for breakfast at your breakfast buffet restaurnat .The Hostess( sorry don't know her name A Phllipino lady )She kept telling everyone to wait in the lobby and then they will be seated . I asked for a table ? she said go in the lobby we have no tables ready . We looked in the restaurant and there was maybe 5 waitresses and maybe 10 people in the restaurant ,many tables open and no one stting at the tables . .I said well I see many tables are open .I must tell you there was a line-up of hungry guests and because of her attitude , they left I said ,Can we not just sit down because WE are very hungry all we want is the Buffet and no need to fuss over us LOL..She said those tables are not clean .very politly .We said well thats not a problem we will go up to the buffet and they can clean the tables while were selecting food .She said no wait in the lobby LOL . LOL We laughed at her and proceded to just grab a table and the rest of the people followed LOL I.The tables were not dirty and the waitresses served us very quickly .The buffet was very good and lots of food all pipping hot .The waitress was excellent . I'm not sure what WAS with this hosstess,. bad attitude ,power tripping or what? very very starnge Just wanted to know what happen

Room Tip: don't listen to the beakfast restaurant host LOL JUst grab a seat LOL
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
gm_cn971, General Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank You for the kind review. We do take pride in our housekeeping and strive on keeping our rooms in top shape. Also I do appreciate the feedback about the restaurtant. Suprising as our restaurant staff are always very professional I will be looking into the matter closely. Again Thank You for the review. Hope to see you again soon...

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here last year for 2 nights because it was close to the church I was getting married at. I stayed the night before and the night of my wedding. We also made an arrangement for our guests to stay here at a reduced rate for the night of the wedding. Unfortunately, this didn't work out because our guests told us that when they tried to book a room, they were told they had to book AT LEAST 2 nights. This was NOT out arrangement.

We booked a room with a king sized bed and sofa bed because the night before my wedding my 2 sisters and my Mom were to stay with me. When we got the room, there was no sofa bed. We were given a new room with one, but the new room was not really any better. The sheets on the sofa bed were stained and there were a pair of man's pants and shoes under the bed. Clearly it hadn't been cleaned under there in some time.

My mom wanted a bottle of water so she went to the vending machine. 3 times she tried to get water, and each time she pressed the water button, Dr. Pepper came out.

We went to the pool in the evening and were APPALLED. There were 2 girl lifeguards who looked about 13 years old, and they were on their phones the whole time, not watching anyone. The pool was grossly overcrowded with children, WAY more than the legal amount that should have been allowed in there. There were little children, about 5 years old, going into the hot sauna and this is not safe for children that young. When my sister complained to the lifeguards, they said it was fine and they sometimes let children go in the sauna after hours. When we said it was against the law to allow this, they said that we were liars, told us to go away, and laughed as we stormed off. They were the epitome of immature teenagers.

The next morning we ordered room service for breakfast, but were told that there was no peanut butter for toast and no chocolate milk or apple juice to drink even though it was in the menu. We went elsewhere to eat.

When we checked in, my husband ordered a romance package for our wedding night. We were told it would involve wine and strawberries and other things. When we arrived after our wedding, the only thing on our bed was 2 robes that were on loan from the hotel. We thought they must have forgotten about it and we were too tired so we went to bed. The next day when we paid, we realized that we were charged over $50 for the package! When we questioned it, we were told that they do no offer wine and strawberries in the package (even though we were told they did) and that the robes was the romance package. After much complaining there and over the phone for the next few days, we finally got the charge taken off.

My wedding was perfect, but my wedding stay at this hotel was horrid and its the only thing I regret. I will NEVER stay here again and I would NEVER recommended it to anyone. In fact, since this stay, when people ask me about it, I tell them to to turn around and run.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank easton_87
gm_cn971, General Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

I do apologize for your past stay from last year. However the hotel is under managment and things have greatly improved from your past stay 1-year go. I would like to invite you back and give us another try.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oshawa
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown - Toronto Area
Quality Suites
#3 of 7 in Whitby
Comfort Inn
#5 of 7 in Oshawa
Vanier
Travelodge Oshawa Whitby

Been to Durham Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!