“We had a very good ,and very clean ,nice place”

Durham Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Oshawa
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a pleasant stay at the Quality Inn .We got a discount rate for our wedding guests a very good deal . Its a nice hotel staff friendly and the place is very clean. Lots of parking for the guets . The only thing that was odd. A bunch of us went for breakfast at your breakfast buffet restaurnat .The Hostess( sorry don't know her name A Phllipino lady )She kept telling everyone to wait in the lobby and then they will be seated . I asked for a table ? she said go in the lobby we have no tables ready . We looked in the restaurant and there was maybe 5 waitresses and maybe 10 people in the restaurant ,many tables open and no one stting at the tables . .I said well I see many tables are open .I must tell you there was a line-up of hungry guests and because of her attitude , they left I said ,Can we not just sit down because WE are very hungry all we want is the Buffet and no need to fuss over us LOL..She said those tables are not clean .very politly .We said well thats not a problem we will go up to the buffet and they can clean the tables while were selecting food .She said no wait in the lobby LOL . LOL We laughed at her and proceded to just grab a table and the rest of the people followed LOL I.The tables were not dirty and the waitresses served us very quickly .The buffet was very good and lots of food all pipping hot .The waitress was excellent . I'm not sure what WAS with this hosstess,. bad attitude ,power tripping or what? very very starnge Just wanted to know what happen

Room Tip: don't listen to the beakfast restaurant host LOL JUst grab a seat LOL
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
gm_cn971, General Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank You for the kind review. We do take pride in our housekeeping and strive on keeping our rooms in top shape. Also I do appreciate the feedback about the restaurtant. Suprising as our restaurant staff are always very professional I will be looking into the matter closely. Again Thank You for the review. Hope to see you again soon...

There are newer reviews for Durham Hotel & Conference Centre

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here last year for 2 nights because it was close to the church I was getting married at. I stayed the night before and the night of my wedding. We also made an arrangement for our guests to stay here at a reduced rate for the night of the wedding. Unfortunately, this didn't work out because our guests told us that when they tried to book a room, they were told they had to book AT LEAST 2 nights. This was NOT out arrangement.

We booked a room with a king sized bed and sofa bed because the night before my wedding my 2 sisters and my Mom were to stay with me. When we got the room, there was no sofa bed. We were given a new room with one, but the new room was not really any better. The sheets on the sofa bed were stained and there were a pair of man's pants and shoes under the bed. Clearly it hadn't been cleaned under there in some time.

My mom wanted a bottle of water so she went to the vending machine. 3 times she tried to get water, and each time she pressed the water button, Dr. Pepper came out.

We went to the pool in the evening and were APPALLED. There were 2 girl lifeguards who looked about 13 years old, and they were on their phones the whole time, not watching anyone. The pool was grossly overcrowded with children, WAY more than the legal amount that should have been allowed in there. There were little children, about 5 years old, going into the hot sauna and this is not safe for children that young. When my sister complained to the lifeguards, they said it was fine and they sometimes let children go in the sauna after hours. When we said it was against the law to allow this, they said that we were liars, told us to go away, and laughed as we stormed off. They were the epitome of immature teenagers.

The next morning we ordered room service for breakfast, but were told that there was no peanut butter for toast and no chocolate milk or apple juice to drink even though it was in the menu. We went elsewhere to eat.

When we checked in, my husband ordered a romance package for our wedding night. We were told it would involve wine and strawberries and other things. When we arrived after our wedding, the only thing on our bed was 2 robes that were on loan from the hotel. We thought they must have forgotten about it and we were too tired so we went to bed. The next day when we paid, we realized that we were charged over $50 for the package! When we questioned it, we were told that they do no offer wine and strawberries in the package (even though we were told they did) and that the robes was the romance package. After much complaining there and over the phone for the next few days, we finally got the charge taken off.

My wedding was perfect, but my wedding stay at this hotel was horrid and its the only thing I regret. I will NEVER stay here again and I would NEVER recommended it to anyone. In fact, since this stay, when people ask me about it, I tell them to to turn around and run.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank easton_87
gm_cn971, General Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

I do apologize for your past stay from last year. However the hotel is under managment and things have greatly improved from your past stay 1-year go. I would like to invite you back and give us another try.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I had a great little holiday here. We came for three nights and the room was very nice. Outstanding Maid service. Very comfortable Beds. We found the support staff very helpful and kind. Our room was quiet and private on the Third floor and I loved the security aspect of not being able to get up to our floor without the door card. That said the door card was always needing to be re-keyed, That was a bit annoying having to go back to the desk alot for that. The pools where wonderful, although never enough towels. But What really made the stay great was the staff and the super Cleanliness of the whole hotel. The restaurant and staff there where also great in every way. The food A plus. Thanks for the wonderful time. We will be back.

Room Tip: If you want a great peaceful sleep go to the tower. Very quiet and private.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BatShevaGamoran
gm_cn971, General Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Thank You for the Great Review. Delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Thank You!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We got this hotel at the last minute due to extracting ourself from the previous hotel due to the dirt.

This hotel had a friendly and courteous front desk staff and nice rooms. They were very clean.

Our AC did not work but the staff cut our rate as no other rooms were available and provided a portable fan.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The hallways are long, try to get near the elevator.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
gm_cn971, General Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank You for the Review. I very sincerley apologize for the a/c not working, but glad we could we could a fan ready. Delighted to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay. Thanks again for the kind review.
See you again soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Soooo many things were bad. Family of four given a wheelchair accessible room (room 108) with no tub or separation between shower area and toilet (room also contained portable toilet, just in case...). There for a kids' lacrosse tournament - indoor and outdoor pool NEVER had any towels, nor did the front desk seeming somewhat suprised that a hotel sold out for a kids' tournament had more than a few kids wanting to use the pool. Outdoor pool had bandaids floating in it that staff refused to skim, indoor pool deck was a serious health risk with no less than three of our teams' kids wiping out and banging their heads on the slick floor. 1st or 2nd floor ice machines had water, but no ice available to use......Will NEVER go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Joe P
Management response:Responded July 15, 2012

Thank You for the review. I very sincerley apologize for the un-satisfactory stay you had. I will promise I will be looking into every aspec of the issues you have mentioned. If you like to contact me further discuss and the matter I would be very open to hearing from you. Again I do most sincerly apologize!

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Travelling with a team of teenage athletes competing in Track and Field can be logistically challenging. Amanda and her team were great. Went the extra mile to help us out and make it a great hotel stay. From organizing a late pasta bar, keeping the pool open later, and opening earlier for breakfast, all the so very much appreciated. Thanks for making the stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you for the kind review. Amanda is a big part of our team and we are very lucky to have her on the team. Please come back and visit us again!

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Not one complaint especially when considering the affordable room rate. Having said that, don't expect anything fancy, just clean rooms with good comfortable beds.

Nice little perks such as wifi, parking, local calls and cucumber/lemon water in lobby, all of which were free.

Kids loved the pools and the breakfast buffet in the restaurant.

We enjoyed our time there and will be definitely coming back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank von58
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank You for the kind review. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.
We are striving to improve our hotel in all areas. Thanks again for the kind review.
See you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oshawa
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown - Toronto Area
Quality Suites
#2 of 7 in Whitby
Vanier
Travelodge Oshawa Whitby
Comfort Inn
#5 of 7 in Oshawa

Been to Durham Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!