“Outdated and Smelled Terrible”

Durham Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Oshawa
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I know this property is outdated as we stayed here last summer, but this year the smell was terrible! Also, the dining room was so understaffed I felt bad for the lone waitress working on wing night. We had to wait almost an hour for our orders of wings, then when they arrived they were cold and the wrong order. Needless to say, we won't be staying here any longer.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, you will be better off.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank northern_ontario_kid
Sales99, Director of Sales at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of our hotel. I was sorry to read that your stay at our hotel was unpleasant. I have passed your comments about the food/dining room onto our Restaurant Manager and Chef so that they are aware that there was a problem and to circumvent this problem from happening in the future. As to the smell, I am assuming it was due to the AC not being on in your room when you arrived. We do turn off the AC units between guests as part of our green plan however, it should have been turned on prior to your arrival. Again, I have passed your comment onto our Executive Housekeeper.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Very uncomfortable room, the smell was just awful looked like they had not used it for a couple of days and air conditioning machine was on but blowing in very humid and smelly air. One good thing we had a patio door we were able to air out the room. Very close to the train tracks and many many trains pass there every day and night. As for the rest of the place the pool and courtyard were very nice looking and well kept.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sales99, Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. Generally the air conditioning/heating units are turned off when the room is not in use as part of our "green plan". However, given the hot temperatures it should have been turned on prior to your arrival so that the room was comfortable at check in. On behalf of our staff I apologize that this was not done. Please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel to discuss this with you. Thank you again.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Positives: Friendly staff, nice time in lounge, great breakfast, great beds.
Negative: Our family stays there when visiting other family in the area. ...have been doing so for the last number of years. What we look forward to most is the use of the indoor and outdoor pools. We like to get up, go for a swim in the indoor pool, then breakfast, then outdoor pool.
The disappointment came when we tried to have a family swim in the indoor pool in the morning, only to find part of it roped off and used by what clearly looked like a swim instructor giving a private swim lesson to a child. Problem was....there were three other swim instructors giving lessons to other children in the pool, some also doing lengths. There was literally little or no room to swim. This was during regular swim hours. We were forced to stay to edge of pool and felt unwelcomed. One male instructor actually asked my wife to move out of the way!!! (and we are paying about $150 a night with taxes!!!).While I'm not sure, I doubt the children receiving instruction were even overnight guests at the hotel. There were also only three small tables around the pool---all taken by parents waiting for their children's lessons to end. We had to throw all our personal items on the floor. My kids were really disappointed. I did speak to a manager. He offered a free breakfast. However I insisted I wanted him to address the issue. He said he would talk to the staff and gave us a couple of breakfast vouchers, but I wasn’t reassured. Since this property costs much more than others without a pool, I feel there is no point going back unless this issue is addressed. I've since discovered two other properties locally with a pool for less money.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BigPapa21

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding our hotel and specifically our pool. Your comments have been forwarded to our Pool & Fitness Department Manager so that they can review our policies regarding swimming lessons.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

We arrived Friday June 24th. Check in was great. Room was average. We had dinner in the lounge, and our server was the most friendly and helpful person we have ever encountered. Mary made delicious frozen cocktails and recommended a delicious bbq chicken sandwich. She was a delight! Breakfast was good.The hotel was clean. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank St1963

Thank you for your comments on our staff and Mary inparticular. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 21, 2011

We were holding a business meeting in one of the conference rooms, but a couple of us had to step out to take a conference call. I asked the front desk staff if there was a phone I could use, and they set me up in a private boardroom that wasn't being used, along with a speaker-phone to use for our call. All of this at no extra cost, and just by asking!

We also had a family member of one of our staff waiting in the lobby, and they were very helpful and accommodating to him while he waited.

We'll be back to use the conference facilities again in the future. The conference room, food, staff, etc. were all great!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SC1999

Thanks very much for your comments on our staff and our hotel. We certainly are delighted that everything went smoothly for your meeting. Please consider us again for your next meeting.

Reviewed May 23, 2011

A group of 65 from Ottawa, Ontario stayed at Quality Hotel for two nights May 20-22, 2011. The rooms were clean, facilities were very good for group of High School students (basketball, pool & deck especially) and most of all the customer service was above and beyond anything I have ever experienced. The restuarant served a wonderful breakfast. The location allowed rooms to order pizza and/or wings and the food arrive in less than 30 minutes. As long as we continue this annual trip to Oshawa, we will be staying at Quality Hotel.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank markandcora

Thank you very much for your comments about our hotel. We appreciate your feedback. Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 28, 2011

ok, so I am going here soon with a group for our kid's hockey tournament. We booked the package when it was still a holiday Inn - and recieved a rate of $119.00/night. Now that it has changed to a Qualoty Inn, they are offering a rate of $89.00/night - but will not extend that rate to any of us in the group since we booked already!!! I can't even cancel my group booking and re book for that rate because there are no more rooms available!!! What a crock! What happened to customer service? So far not impressed! Don't think I should have to pay a Holiday Inn price to stay at a Quality Inn! (btw we weren't even told when we booked that by the time we stay there it would no longer be a holiday inn)

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank h0ckeym0m0f2b0ys
Sales99, Manager at Durham Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. The hotel has already been in contact with your team and this issue has been resolved. We apologize that you were not made aware of the hotel name/brand change however, we did not change our offerings at the hotel. We are still a full service hotel offering all the amenities and services we offered under the previous brand. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oshawa
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown - Toronto Area
Quality Suites
#3 of 7 in Whitby
Comfort Inn
#5 of 7 in Oshawa
Vanier
Travelodge Oshawa Whitby

Been to Durham Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!