“The search for fresh uni”

Mye Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 484 Restaurants in Oakville
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Church St. and Navy St.
toronto
“The search for fresh uni”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had read various reviews from Trip before making a reservation at this restaurant. There were lots of complaints about the service but we didn't experience that. Now we had made a reservation for 6pm on a week night which turns out to be the perfect time. We got in right before the crowd so the wait for our sushi wasn't lengthy. We came to this restaurant just for the sushi so we did a couple of appetizers and pretty much went a la carte on the sushi. The appetizers we ordered were tempura and seaweed salad nothing to rave about. The first round of sushi was amazing very fresh and melts in your mouth. We had Fluke, BC Tuna, Salmon, Surf Clams and Scallop sushi with spicy yellow tail rolls (highly recommended as we ordered seconds) and red dragon rolls. All was fresh and delicious! Now they were sold out on sweet shrimp, sea bass and regular Toro (so we did not substitute those). After the first round we reordered the spicy yellow tail and thought since these were all good we should order the UNI. Now I had uni in NYC at Yasuda and Zen Sushi in the east end and by far NYC won out by a long shot! The uni at Mye was fishy with a liquid texture which means it sat too long or way old. The give away was the smell my bf noticed...but we ignored it and ate anyway. Big mistake. I don't know what it is with TO maybe people here don't order uni often but we find even at Zen they're not that fresh. Anyways we did notify our waitress and suggested she tell the chef (now a sushi master would have already known this by the look and smell of the uni but we thought we should voice our concern) she simply said "oh I am sorry you didn't enjoy that". I watched her the whole time and not once did I see her voice our concern. I guess it's inventory they had to clear and we were just unfortunate to order it. Aside from this incident everything else even the service was great. Would I go back again? Yes for everything else NOT the UNI. I think I have given up on Uni in TO. BTW the alcohol is expensive so be prepared, and our second order took half an hour because the restaurant was full by then.

• Visited August 2013

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
“Just fabulous”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have visited many times but appreciate Mye even more since my recent visit to Tokyo. Excellent food and great hospitality.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Alan E
Mississauga, Canada
“not the "trendiest" place but seriously amazing food!!”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I'm kinda tired of walking into izakays (or those super trendy or fusion restaurants in and around the city). Loud music (maybe i'm just past my teen/20s and dont want to sit elbow to elbow with youngsters paying with their parents' VISA cards). I'm definitely a foodie and when it comes to Mye, the food is fantastic. Seriously. No bells or whistles, just straight up delicious. My fav is the yakuniku (sp?) and spicy tuna rolls.

As I said, don't expect the trendiest music to be playing the background, but do expect a mouthwatering meal and pretty good service.

• Visited June 2013
St. John's, Canada
“a nice meal but no "wow"”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I brought with me a person who had never eaten Japanese food and doesn't/won't eat raw fish. As I've traveled to Japan and frequently eat in Japanese restaurants, I wasn't worried. There is a huge variety of food to chose from and I was sure she would find something she liked.

Too bad that this restaurant had a fairly limited menu when it came to food other than sushi.

The tempura veg and seafood was quite nice, but rather bland and the dipping sauce tasteless. The spider roll was OK but nothing terrific. The miso soup was good as was the edamame beans and the seaweed salad.

The decor leaves a lot to be desired; there was very little effort put into the place. Parking is limited and difficult to get in and out of.

Service was reasonably prompt and pleasant.

Overall, an OK meal but nothing that made me hope to return.

• Visited June 2013
Dordrecht, The Netherlands
“Good kitchen but poor services”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had more or less the same experience as another Tripadvisor reviewer that we were totally ignored in the foyer. No one says hello to us or tell us how long the waiting time will be.

After we got our table, we waited a quite long time until someone took our order. When the waiter opened the bottle of wine we ordered, he asked us very seriously whether we want to smell the cork. I think it was a very funny question, especially it was a plastic cork!

Waiting was the theme of our experience in this restaurant....Eventually our meals were served, but we had not gotten any cutlery or chopsticks.

The only positive thing to tell is that our meal was good but not good enough to compensate the service level. Not worth for a detour.....

• Visited May 2013