“Disappointing”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bronte rd & Lakeshore Rd W
Description: With chef inspired small plates and handcrafted cocktails Plank is a taste of New York City in Bronte
Toronto, Canada
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

4 of us went here on New Years Eve. We were told that they didn't take reservations after 5:45 so we chose to take our chances. We got there at about 7 and there was plenty of room. The place itself is VERY cool inside. It has great ambiance. The food however, was very disappointing and our waitress wasn't overly friendly. I've been to other 'small plate' sharing restuarants that far exceed what this restuarant has to offer. We ordered 6 plates and had a bottle of wine and a few beers (which were priced like pints but were alot smaller) and our bill was over $200.00. They wanted people to pay $50.00 after 9 because it was New Years but we left because it was quite quiet. Needless to say, I won't be back anytime soon. It needs a better menu.

1 Thank travelsouthoften

Hamilton, Canada
“Different for a nice change of pace”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My friend was in Oakville a few times for work and had passed this restaurant a couple of times and really wanted to go in, but not by herself ... so I said I would gladly join her. We sat at the bar (my choice as I really enjoy that and get a good feel of the place by sitting there). From our vantage point you could see the chef's working. It is a smaller menu with some appetizers, small dishes and then pizza's cooked on a plank. The calamari was the best I have had yet, it was lightly dusted and not at all rubbery. I had the pizza with chicken, bacon, carmelized onions and goat's cheese and my friend had the italian one with proscuitto and arugula. We both liked them very much. The pizza's weren't large but we both had a little less than half to take home so you could share it if you had a couple of appetizers to go with it. The chef came over to talk to us and the the staff were very friendly, the atmosphere was warm and inviting. I would recommend you give it a try sometime :)

• Visited January 2013
ontario
“keep shucking....”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Finished work early on new year's eve and wanted a juicy start to year's end/start so dropped in on The Plank, recently opened at Bronte Harbour. We'd heard of their "tapas" type offerings, but what could be better as an opener than freshly shucked oysters? We were in luck and sat at one of the two window tables overlooking the harbour. The server automatically poured water from a vino bottle, w hich was a nice and appreciated touch. Told there were only Raspberry Points in stock, we ordered a dozen. They came in a circle, on ice, with hot sauce and better yet, freshly ground horseradish and a wedge of lemon. What more could you want...or need? Delicious, succulent--and who cares about the much vaunted after effects when you're our age?
So good that we went for a second dozen which while not as large were still yummy. At half price, $1.50 a piece, a great way to end/start 2012/13 !
And it didn't hurt that we live just across the street overlooking Lake Ontario and had king crab and a chilled Rhine wine awaiting our return home!

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Okay for drinks, food is poor.”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Great bar staff and okay wait service. Food is not very good
though. Okay place to have a drink on the way home (although there are better in the area).

1 Thank Justin150793
oakville
“Great atmosphere but menu is somewhat disappointing.”
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Tried this place for a third time. My conclusion is that it has a great atmosphere, great service and average food. The menu items are odd offerings and not terribly appealing. I tried their poutine with duck confit because some reviewers had praised it. It was one of the worst things I've ever tasted in my life!
If they could develop a more appealing and tasty menu they could have an amazing restaurant!