“Bigger is not better”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We have visited this restaurant several times since it opened, and was always impressed by the quality of the food and friendly service. It was a small space, reminiscent of what you would find on many side streets through out Italy.

The restaurant is quite popular, and has recently grown in size. The quaintness has gone, replaced by an upscale big-city restaurant with prices to match. We stopped by recently for a quick lunch and were surprised at the changes. Even though the restaurant was less than half full, the service was slow and uneven. Some couples who arrived after us had their meals before our order was even taken. The decor is very hard, meaning it is loud and difficult to carry on a conversation. For us, the biggest surprise was the wine prices. Glasses of wine range from $12-15 (for only 6 oz) - granted it was premium wine, but a reasonably priced house wine would have sufficed with the pizza we ordered. It is not often that you pay the same price for a small glass of wine as you do for your entire meal.

The pizzas are still good. Fresh ingredients and thin crust, cooked in their wood burning oven. And the knives are still not sharp - instead of cutting your food, it is shredded as you tug away and the food slides on and off your plate. We mentioned this to our server, who said management was aware of the problem but had done nothing to fix it.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

My husband and I stopped in for a bite before going to a play. The atmosphere is lovely and romantic but can be quite loud. They don't take reservations but we didn't wait too long to be seated. We started with a glass of wine $13 each. Then we ordered the 3 cheese tray antipasti $14 which came with 3 types of cheese, a few grapes, 2 halves of a fig some type of a fruit jam and a few slices of bread. Also ordered the 3 meat/salami platter $17 which came with 3 different sliced dried salamis, pickled veggies, and bread. Everything was delicious and enough for 2 to enjoy with wine. We then shared a margeretta pizza $20 that was fabulous. Baked in a brick oven with thin crust and a great tomato sauce, buffalo mozzarella and basil. We love the ambience. Can watch the chefs prepare food and cook the pizzas. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Felt like you were somewhere far away! This was our second time here and had the same great experience. The menu is pricey and it can get noisey but it really is a beautiful romantic restaurant with an open fireplace in the middle.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

The pizza was good but found the wait staff to be very pretentious. Did I really need to know that the flew a brick maker in from Italy to build the oven? As if there aren't plenty of perfectly qualified brick makers in Oakvlke that couldn't build it. The waitress over pronounce the italian words on the menu. Did I really need the card "that I could take with me" with more useless pretentious info about the restaurant? I have less pretentious meals at the Ritz.

2  Thank LocalDiner007
Reviewed November 7, 2012

There were 4 of us on a Friday night. Get there early or you'll have to wait. The menu is limited. You need to look at it on line before deciding to eat there. But what they have on menu is awesome! Order the app of 3 cheeses and also the meat app. Delicious! I've had the beet salad and the shrimp apps as well. I highly recommend them. Their speciallty is wood oven pizza and they do it very very well. My favourite is the Matteo. It is piled high with the most mouth watering prociutto! We changed the cheese from marscapone cheese to gorgonzola (an option they offer) and I think it improves the taste. The wine selection is exceptional. All wonderful choices.
I've been there at least 5 times and never had anything but spectacular service. They aim to please.
The prices are high but if you split the pizza (and that can be done easily) as well as an app it's not so expensive. The food is high quality and worth it.
The atmosphere is gorgeous and crowded and loud and busy. I love that!
All round, a great place to dine!

1  Thank likestoeat53
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Unbelievable. Called to make a reservation. They do not take reservations. Went at 7:00 p.m. on a Thursday evening with 3 in our party. Was told it would be a 20 minute wait. They took my cell phone number to call when the table was ready. Directed us to go to Green Bean to wait (this is owned by them we found out!!) After 40 minutes when no call was received we went to check and was told it was going to be yet another 20-30 minutes but they could not guarantee that. While at the counter a very irate customer came up and said they were told 20 minutes and that was 1.5 hours ago!! We asked why they did not take reservations and were told that people did not show up. The concept of holding reservations for 15 minutes went completely over the receptionists head...she just could not understand!! I think that is the problem.....they need someone who understands who can keep on top of the people that want to eat there. This is our 2nd attempt to eat at this restaurant and I will say WE WILL NEVER try to eat here again.
We went across the street to JAM and had an absolutely excellent meal....the service and the food was exceptional.

3  Thank goaliemother