“Extremely helpfull staff and a very spacious room.”

Holiday Inn Oakville Centre
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Oakville
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Although the primary purpose of the trip was to attend a wedding, it was also my first Canadian experiance so I was unsure of what sites to see. The front desk was very courteous, especially Denise, who provided us with directions to the local attractions as well as a very realistic view of travel time (we went out before the wedding). The room was very spacious as well as extremely clean. The only issue I could see is the showers. My girlfriend and I are both over 6' tall and the shower is designed for someone around 5'10". Other than that minor setback I found it to be a great experiance and would definitley stay again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Oakville Centre

Reviewed July 11, 2008

The lovely lobby does not reflect the rooms, nor is the place AT ALL pedestrian friendly (bring a car or expect to take cabs for the smallest thing). I could have gotten over that.

But it was an unclean room and service staff lecturing me for my entire weekend. Unfortunately, it was the build-up that led to me feeling unable to advocate for myself that weekend.

It is hard, and somewhat subjective to describe the tone of the employees, so I won't try other than to say that I found it rude and tried to ignore it. "Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong," I thought after I checked in Friday at 11 p.m.. Then I started to swell and needed ice. There was no information on the ice machines so I called the front desk.

I had to practically pry the information out that ice machines are only on two floors. Okay, fine, but I found them. I got 3 cubes from one and could get none from the other. So I went to the front desk to ask if I could have some more. I got asked incesently if I knew how to work the machines: "Yes," I explained, "I got some out, but there appears to be a limit or the machine is out."

After all that, the night manager sent me to the bar, where I had to go through a lecture on how to get ice, again, despite my explanations. Ice was a precious commodity, yet they gave me a full bucket (generous, okay, since I only wanted a handful).

Later, my throat had swollen up so much I was in significant pain and losing the ability to speak (and I was there for a wedding I had to speak at the next day). It's 3 a.m. and I went down to the front desk to ask for some help finding the 24-hour pharmacy in the directory. I waiting for a few minutes in hopes someone would see me before I realized they were in the back and could see me.

So I called out., only to have the front desk girl tell me "You must stand exactly here if you want to be served. I'm not going to come out if you don't stand at this end." I asked her what was the harm if I called out, for I wasn't put out and eventually we connect. This lead to further demands if I wanted service. Fine, I jumped through every hoop to get directions and the number of a cab company.

When I got back, I had to go through the entire ice argument again, and again when I tried at 7:30 a.m.. Finally, I walked barefoot in my bathroom for the first time to find the floor was sticky (Remember, I haven't been here 12 hours yet and only went in the bathroom to put my toiletry bag in the room). I tried to call down but got no assistance, so I cleaned it myself.

Grossed out, I took a bath. When I got out of the tub, I had someone else's black hair all over me (I'm naturally blond so there isn't a brunette hair on my body. Maybe a grey). By this point, I had been argued with every time I asked for help (and I'm in public relations myself, so I'm usually pleasant, kind and smiling) so I didn't feel I would get anywhere. I said nothing.

I did get one really nice guy Saturday afternoon, during the wedding. However, it was one helpful person out of many arguments so I assumed he was the rarity. The ice, which sincerely returned my voice and reduce the pain as long as I chewed it, continued to be an arguement until 7:00 a.m. Sunday.

(and after the wedding, I returned to find housekeeping took my tip but only refilled the toiletries. I admit my beauty supplies and clothes were everywhere, but it happens when running out to a wedding. Other hotels don't clean them, but still move them to do their job).

By this point, I couldn't stay any longer. I packed up my belongings and went to check out. When the front desk girl (different one) asked if I had a pleasant stay, I broke down crying. They tried to help while I pleaded "please, this has been horrible. Just check me out and let me leave! I'd rather wait at the train station for the next few hours."

They didn't, and continued to ask what happened. Admitedly, the people from that morning were all people I hadn't dealt with and seemed pleasant then. However, by that point I just needed out of there. They swore to me they wanted to make it right: the manager would call me next week, and gave me the number just in case. I never heard from her, and could not get a hold of her when I tried a week after my stay.

You may have a pleasant time, if you don't get my housekeeping staff nor ask for ice. I am still convinced everything could have been worked out if they hadn't made such a big deal out of the ice. No hotel is perfect, so it is the service that make it stand out. The service made it a dump.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank blondtraillite
Reviewed June 5, 2008

We stayed here because our usual Toronto area hotels were fully booked up.

This Holiday Inn features typical early 1980s architecture. A giant red brick prison with few windows. Inside, the lobby is in the same open area as the swimming pool and restaurant. The smell of chlorine from the pool is so strong that my nose & eyes were affected each time I tried to use their obsolete computer in the business centre. But at least they had free internet which was not busy because most of the visitors looked older (not into computer use). I saw 3 middle aged guys check in and their first request was to be directed to the nearest beer and liquor stores.

There are actually rooms with indoor balconies looking onto the pool/lobby. Who would want that? My room was on a non-smoking floor and either the last person staying there smoked a lot or the smoke was being piped in through the central air conditioning system. THerefore the cleaners just sprayed with deodorizing perfume spray or febreze so now it smelled doubly terrible and I had to keep the window open all the time.

The decor and bedspreads are obsolete and the beds themselves look old. I had a balcony (with no chairs) but most of the view is blocked by the Holiday Inn itself so I couldn't see much. The QEW is right there and so loud! I had to turn up the volume of the TV really high just to hear anything.

The employees seemed nice and helpful. Did not try their food. It is close to Oakville Place Mall, Whole Foods, Home Depot, No Frills, McD, Swiss Chalet, etc. Would not stay there again simply because of the decor and smell.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank spykitten
Reviewed January 4, 2008

I found the Inn to be very clean. We stayed Jan.4 and 5.
The pool was great --clean and warm with plenty of towels. The front desk was courteous and friendly. The cleaning staff was helpful and friendly. We didn't eat there, so I can't comment on that. We checked out on the TV, so that was quick. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank star3202
Reviewed January 2, 2008

I booked this hotel for the New Years Holiday using my Priority Club Points. It was a great deal as it seems you only need half the points for a free night in Canada.

The room was very clean, comfortable and well maintained. Free local calls including to Toronto are free. This is good since if you are, like me charged for roaming in Canada.

Like another posting, the lobby area does have a chlorine smell from the pool, but I did not notice it in the room or hallways.

The hotel is about 25 minutes from DT with no traffic. The area contains a McDonalds, Thai and Japanese restaurants as well as a Golden Griddle. I would recommend this hotel if you are doing business in Oakville or can use points.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank NY11373
Reviewed November 3, 2007

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and the rooms were above average and a decent size. The staff at the front desk and the restaurant were extremely friendly and went out of their way to help us with any questions that we had about the local area and whereabouts. Thank you to all the staff at Holiday Inn Select Oakville for making our experience so pleasant. We will definitely come back!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank natstoronto
Reviewed October 15, 2007

this hotel is situated about twenty feet from the major highway running through the town of oakville. from the noisy room, to the aweful customer service during check in, didn't take away from the ambiance of the 1970's decor of our room and this entire hotel. The entire hotel lobby, including the restaurant and bar and pool is under a big dome, and that's probably why the smell of chlorine gags you from the minute you walk in the front door of this place. There was empty condiment packages under our night stand, burnt out light bulbs in the lamps and not sure if the bed spread has ever been washed??? We had booked what they called "executive club" room and not sure why they called it "executive"? As a business man myself, I was not impressed at all with this place. The bar in old and sad, and the only thing older than the furniture, was the nuts they were serving. The restaurant is even sadder, was like eating in the middle of a shopping mall hallway. The business center was terrible and needs some electronics from this century. I think this place is a disaster and couldn't stress enough that it needs torn down and rebuilt, and a new and friendlier staff couldn't help too. Manager didn't really seem to care when we complained about a couple things either, really nice service.

Stayed: September 2007