“Adequate”

Holiday Inn Oakville Centre
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Oakville
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The photo of the exterior of this hotel makes it look a lot more grand and new than it is. They've done some upgrading to make it feel somewhat contemporary (like granite countertops, modern lighting, flat screen TV, etc.), but the infrastructure is clearly pretty old with noticeable wear here and there.

Our mattresses felt pretty worn. Couldn't feel any coils or sharp areas, but didn't feel like it was high quality.

Room was clean, housekeeping was fine, staff was helpful when needed.

Location is wonderful. Close to QEW, Go station, numerous restaurants.

Fitness room had a couple of streadmills, elliptical, free weights, no universal machine. Clean and well stocked with towels.

Pool was okay. The kids enjoyed it. No hot tub.

There are two rows of rooms on every floor. The even-numbered rooms face the inside of the hotel - it's a big atrium with multiple conference rooms, an "open-air" restaurant, and the pool. The odd-numbered rooms face the road. If you're looking for lots of light, better to face the road.

Room Tip: Odd-numbered rooms face inner atrium. Even-numbered rooms face road.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnOakville, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oakville Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear FatherOfTwo777:

We would like to take the time to write a review regarding our hotel. We were disappointed to read that your visit was only "adequate". We strive to ensure that every guest has a great experience. We appreciate your comments regarding our inside versus outside rooms. Our inside rooms are favourites of some and our outside rooms are preferred by others. It's a great tip. We are sorry that you did not enjoy our beds. They were all replaced during the renovation but unfortunately they did not meet your standards. The mattresses we purchased are a little more on the firm side. We do have pillow top mattress toppers available upon request. If you choose to return to our hotel, we can arrange for our mattress toppers to be on your bed which we hope can improve your sleeping experience.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel did everything well. Reception at front desk was welcoming and superb. Day clerk said hello to me by name whenever I passed the counter.

Lobby area is tall ceilinged with a huge skylight roof. Lots of quiet conversation gathering areas throughout the lobby. Restaurant is clean and comfortable, bar and food staff friendly, and the breakfast buffet was fine. Complimentary freshly baked cookies came out everyday at around five PM. Lots of calories but oh so tasty!

The two elevators were quick in responding. I typically had to wait no longer than 30 seconds. My room was clean, roomy, and had modern furniture, including a comfortable chair and bright floor reading light. Had a fridge. Wifi worked great throughout the building. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom well laid out with modern marble countertop and sink.

My absolutely only problem was an air conditioning unit that started and stopped with the sound of a mack truck changing gear (hence my slightly lower score on Sleep Quality). I put up with it for three nights of my 5-night stay, thinking this was how they all were here (and in most mid-market hotels, for that matter). I happened to mention it to the manager who, at their weekly cocktail guest reception, asked me how my stay was going. She immediately offered to change my room–I didn't want that. She sent a mechanic up immediately and fixed it, because when I returned after dinner, the AC was purring like a cat.

There are lots of restaurants within a 1-2 minute drive. The QEW expressway is nearby, and the GO station (commuter trains to downtown) is a 10-minute walk from the hotel.

I can't think of anything the staff of this superbly run hotel could have done to make my stay any better.

Wait, there is one change I'd like to see. Anchor the bed reading lights over the bed, instead of 12-18 inches to the left and right of the bed. Why don't more hotels get this right?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank voyager075

Dear Voyager075:

I would like to thank you for your wonderful feedback of our property. We appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review. I am sure your comments will assist future travelers in making their decision to stay with us.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

When you walk into this hotel you can't help but smell srtong clorine from the pool on the main level. The restaurant is almost beside it so you might want to think about where you eat. The bed was quite high and there was a problem with the phone.

A few restaurants and the GO and VIA train station are a short walk away but if you don't have to be near there, think of an other hotel option. This hotel is pet friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oakville Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Dear spaceinvador,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry our hotel fell below your expectations. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Many Thanks & Kudos to the following at the Holiday Inn (@ Trafalgar) in Oakville, Ontario.
Larry Whetham (Guest Services Mgr.)
Jan Beaton ( Guest Service Supervisor)
Also want to mention - Liz, Nick, the housekeeping staff & maintenance staff & others at
the front counter.
What a team at this location - which is why I keep returning!
Extremely efficient, professional & courteous.
The food at the restaurant is great! The rooms are very clean with attention to detail.
Thanks everyone! Hope to see you again next year!

Room Tip: Request a room based on your needs. Rooms on the 5th & 6th floors are great!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MMcCulloch
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We have stayed in this newly renovated hotel several times and will continue to do so. The service at the front desk has been flawless, fast and friendly, the rooms clean and spacious.
The pool is sparkling clean. The staff at the restaurant/bar very attentive. Plenty of free parking and conveniently located near a GO-station and shopping. All in all, from the manager down; great place to "hang your hat"!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marjaanderson
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The stay was fine, the room good. The people at the desk were great. The problem was when I asked for a taxi at the desk I was directed to the Qureshi Limousine service instead and the hotel would make the reservation. I was quoted $60 to the airport by the hotel staff but when I got to the airport it was $65. This didn't sound right because I had come to the hotel from the airport for $58. Looking back I should have insisted on the taxi but I thought Holiday Inn wouldn't steer me wrong. Yes, it is only a few bucks but I was left with this final impression that wasn't positive.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank profAZ
HolidayInnOakville, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oakville Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear profAZ:

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. I was very sorry to hear about the lack of service you received from our recommended airport transportation provider. We have brought your review to the attention of the owner of the company and will assure you that this will not happen again. We have also used your review as a training tool with our Guest Service Agents to ensure that guests are getting the level of service we strive to provide.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few times over the past year and have always enjoyed my stay with them. The staff is very friendly and attentive; I always feel welcome walking in! The rooms are very modern, new, and comfortable. Great layout with the restaurant and lounge in the atrium next to the pool with plenty of places to relax. The lounge is a perfect place to grab a drink and unwind. Thank you General Manager Julie McDonald and the rest of the Oakville Holiday Inn staff for another wonderful stay!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple