When we first reserved a room the owner said the room we wanted was not available but would give us a upgraded jacuzzi room at the same rate if we did not use the jacuzzi. For $119 that sounded good to us as we are on a long road trip.
When we arrived he showed us another room first but it was $30 more, then he showed us our room and said the odor in the room was the exposed wood. Stupid me for believing him. We had the screen door opened but when it got cool and closed it we soon realized the real issue was MOLD! Yes, the room has a real mold smell. Not healthy at all looking back on the situation.
Went to front desk and he finally admitted they are having problems with our room in the summer months but had nothing to offer me. But, was nice and would give us a full refund if we left. We were tired and sick of driving so moving was not what we wanted. He told us to open all windows and turn on the fan for the AC unit. We did and went to dinner and upon return no change and he said only penthouse unit was available. We opened the sliding door and slept with it open all night long and took Claritin, allergy medication.
The crazy part is owner said he can't figure out the problem. My DH figured it out in 2 minutes, hot tub is not caulked at all. I can only imagine all the mold if you hauled out the unit. Also the molding behind the toilet is black in the corner. So, we told him and let's see.
The room is not worth the price and needs to be dealt with. How disappointing it would be if you were coming for a romantic getaway and had this room.
I am upset as I feel the owner was not honest with us at all at the time of check in. We should have been more forceful but are nice people. I have learned my lesson.
However, when we went to check out he did offer us a refund or a negotiation on the price. My DH said no just please take the room out of service and fix it. This is not a quick fix as the hot tub needs to be removed to fully assess the problem.
We stayed there on August 13th so you can judge if they have had time to properly fix the mold issue.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Inn is located in North Bay, on beautiful Lake Nipissing in Northern Ontario. Our unique Inn, a haven of tranquillity, awaits to enfold you in luxury and service. Create an unforgettable getaway in one of our luxurious suites. We also have variety of different types of rooms to suit your needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Sunset Inn on the Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Inn On The Park Hotel North Bay
- Sunset Inn On The Park North Bay, Ontario