“Friendly staff and clean rooms but very tired” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Resort Pinewood Park

Clarion Resort Pinewood Park
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in North Bay
Simcoe, Canada
“Friendly staff and clean rooms but very tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel, mostly because the staff was very helpful and friendly. We were travelling with a 1 year old. When we arrived at the hotel we inquired about upgrading our room to a suite to accommodate her 7pm bedtime. We were looking for a room that we could corner off the crib and it would still allow us to watch TV while she slept. The two front desk staff (Nicole and Deanna, I think) were very accommodating. They offered to walk us around to each of the available suite layouts to let us choose which one would meet our needs.
As far as hotel itself goes, you can tell that it is very dated with exception of the lobby. We found the rooms very tired but clean. There is no continental breakfast so we purchased some cereal and fruit and stored the milk in the bar fridge that was in the room. For anyone travelling with a little one, the hotel provides an actual crib and not a playpen and they provide sheets even though I had brought my own.

Location
    • 5 of 5 stars
ClarionGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Norfolk_10,
Thanks for your review. We're really pleased that our staff were able to work with you to find the perfect layout for your family's needs.
As you mentioned, we have full cribs available at no charge and they are made up completely.
We don't include a continental breakfast in our room but we do have a phenomenal, and brand new, Pinewood Tap & Grill that is open from 6:30 in morning. It offers a great menu and we've been getting some really good feedback from our guests taking advantage of this amenity.
Again, please accept my thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I'll be sure to share your great comments about our Front Desk team. You'll make their day!
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Pembroke, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

My family and I recently stayed at the Clarion for a family gathering. Although the staff is friendly enough the hotel is a needs major improvements/fixes/upgrades for guests safety. There are stains in the ceiling everywhere(rooms/hallways). Garbage cans catching water in the hallway even. Both my brother and my room had screen doors falling off. One room had a screen door handle just a piece of wood with bolts holding it together. Wallpaper all over coming off. Some people even ran out of toilet paper. I cannot believe we paid over 125 per room to stay in this place. I would rate is 1 star at most and only because of the hotel and pool.

Room Tip: Wheel chair rooms are good size.
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Fridaythe13th

Travelers are raving about these North Bay hotels

Hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Hotel is getting a bit outdated but clean and good service. We did not get a ground floor room as requested. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub it is not deep but great for kids. The menu in the restaurant was very reasonable and good variety

• 5 of 5 stars
ClarionGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Wenvac,
Thanks for the great review. Our pool is definitely a hit with our guests, especially the kids. I'm really happy to read your review of our restaurant as we've spend a lot of time on the new Pinewood Tap & Grill Modern Pub.
We hope to see you are in next.
Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

The Pinewood has seen better days but they seem to be trying. When we lived in North Bay in 1973-75 the Pinewood was the place for fine dining. We never stayed as an overnight guest back then. This time we stayed for 2 nights, a sort of 40th anniversary thing.

The Room: I forget the room number but it was way down at the south end, the 3rd floor I think. The room was clean and spacious enough and the bed was comfortable. We thought the hallways were somewhat warm and when we got to the room it was also warm with the HVAC machine running in heating mode. So we put the machine into cooling mode and after about 5 minutes it started to rattle loudly. We turned it off, opened the balcony door and that should have been OK with the cool outdoor temperatures.

But on the second night we were awakened after midnight by loud talking and water noises from the room below and the smell of tobacco smoke. The loud talking soon changed to shouting, from in the room and from the balcony below us. For the life of me I don't understand why people would go somewhere and pay hotel room prices when they could as easily do their fighting at home.

I eventually called the Desk. They said that I was not the first to complain and they were on it. I think it was only a few minutes after that when the staff visited the room.

Dining: My wife and I just about turned the Internet inside out trying to find a menu for the restaurant in this hotel. The closest we came was in reviews like this one. Doesn't that seem odd? The restaurant is nothing special these days, not like it was in the 70's. The staff were very friendly and told us that the Fire Department put an end to the days when they served flaming desserts at the PInewood. There isn't much imagination shown in the menu we saw but we heard that new things are on the way.

Summary: We don't get to NB much and I wish we had stayed elsewhere and eaten in some other restaurants that are better.

Also, we think that if a hotel advertises itself as "Non-Smoking" that should include balconies because the smoke will rise and enter the rooms above.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Will_Shank,
Thanks for the review. I'm surprised to read about the HVAC running on heat. I'll certainly reach out to our excellent housekeeping team to see what's what there.
I'm also glad that our front desk was able to address the unfortunate noise complaint in a timely manner.
As far as our Restaurant goes, shortly after you stayed with us in May, we started on a renovation project that saw a face lift not only of the layout of the outlet, but also a complete rehaul on the theme and menu.
We're really proud of the Pinewood Tap & Grill and do hope that you'll get us another chance.
We hope to see you are in next and I would love to meet you personally,
Oshawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Clean but decor was very old. Main reception ok. Stairway exit at front is accessible from outside and was a security issue for me because you can enter the room area without being seen by the front desk. Fix the door. Wall paper was peeling off the bathroom wall.. Need a desperate update for all decor. Restaurant and bar nice but did not entice me to dine or drink there. It rained so I could not enjoy the OK pool. Husband enjoyed the model railway. First time here, I observed some construction hopefully painting will be used on the building to improve first impressions.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank Lynda G
Lynda G,
Thanks for the review. Guest security is something that is of utmost importance for us. You mention the stairway and I can assure you that we have a well placed camera there with a feed to our offices, seeing everyone going in and out.
While you were here you saw us doing some painting and preparation for the new Restaurant. We started on a renovation project that saw a face lift not only of the layout of the outlet, but also a complete rehaul on the theme and menu.
We're really proud of the Pinewood Tap & Grill and do hope that you'll try it the next time you are in..
We hope to see you are in next and I would love to meet you personally,
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I want to thank the Clarion for calling around on a sold out long weekend. I was stuck on the road and every hotel was booked. The host called around to other hotels and made suggestions. I was finally able to find a room for the night.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
ClarionGuestServices, Manager at Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Meklet,
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We're glad we were able to help you out and look forward to your next visit.
All the best and safe travels.
Jake Lacourse
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We have been staying here for 10+ years and it just gets better and better. Our suite was the best value in a great resort with the best food anywhere in Northern Ontario. On site spa, pool open 24/7/365, plus whirlpool and sauna is great and they have certainly brought their food up a notch. Latest evolution of onsite restaurant just took effect today and it is AMAZING! Some of the best food we have had anywhere in the Americas. Golfing available onsite as well at a great price, but no matter what the reason.... STAY HERE, for a night or a whole vacation.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
ksedwards,
WOW. Thank you so much for the review. We've been working hard to get the Pinewood Tap & Grill concept going. I'm glad we were able to launch it with you here. Looking forward to many more stays. Thanks again for such an awesome review.
Jake Lacourse