“Outrageous!!! Arrogant,bad humor,dishonest couple and fraudulent activities” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Franklin Motel, Tent & Trailer Park

Franklin Motel, Tent & Trailer Park
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in North Bay
Rouyn-Noranda, Canada
“Outrageous!!! Arrogant,bad humor,dishonest couple and fraudulent activities”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

First, I got the reservation a couple of weeks ago specifically for room 14 with the nice large sliding patio doors with a big screen for the 10th and 11th for 3 adults and 2 kids that were anxious to go and swim since we took this short holiday because we wanted them to enjoy the outside pool, the only one in North Bay and room 14 was the room that we always preferred since a long time we go there. The price was fixed at $140.00 plus taxes for the 2 nights in the middle of the week and as senior citizens my wife and I. The first problem occured when we found out they had rented our room # 14 and they were offering us the # 12, a smaller one with that incredible smell of heavy smoking all over the place. Personnally, I didn't see the sign of No Smoking but anyway, I don't smoke since over 15 years and my wife and daughter didn't mind not to smoke in there because they never smoke inside when there are children ariound. When we finally accepted to take this #12 even if we were not happy at all, I asked him to reduce the price but he was now talking of $90.00 per night and he would let it at $80.00. I was then very angry because he had lost the paper of our phone agreement but he ended accepting, not to reduce the original price but to let this smaller smelly room at the original $140.00 for the bigger and nicer room. The next day, after going to shop in town, we were anxious to get back to the Motel and get in the pool but the kids came back in the room saying the pool was closed because of some repairs they intended to do, so here I am again having to try to know more about it and since they couldn't give the services as promised, I asked for a refund so we could go in a motel with an inside pool even if we were preferring their outside one that was the one and only reason we were chosing their place but the answer was NO and no partial refund either if we stayed there without the pool so I was angry again. So we were outside the room that had only one small door with a second aluminium one but there was no screen at all on it so we could not leave it opened because of the mosquitoes. There were chairs there and we took some beers and the 2 women were smoking as they were wishing and using empty cans and bottles as ashtrays outside and when we came back inside, the cigarette butts were still in the empty case of cans and the empty case of bottles. The air conditioning was so week that we would feel a real small draft when I was at one inch of it and I didn't sleep all night because it was too warm in the place because the old weak motor was no good at all and then the craziest thing ever, I receive a phone call on my cellphone and it was him telling me that we smoked in the room and that he would charge me $50.00 for breaking the rules so I was very angry at him and I told him he would not get away with that. Entering the restaurant, I meet 2 cops from OPP that were very nice and gave me the procedure because this was a fraud if they took something with my credit card that I didn't agree. When I got home about 5 hours later, I see in my credit card site that there was $100.00 more that was on my temporary charge with all the other spending made in the last 2 days in North Bay. I want everybody to be aware of this couple that will try to do anything for money with not a bit of respect for their clients. When I phoned him back, he told me he had phoned the police to show them evidence but if it was not as I just described it, it would mean that he manipulated the scene so it would look that we had smoked inside the room. This is ridiculous and we are all witnesses that it smelled smoke and we will ask the police to investigate all the previous users of that room to know if they noticed the strong smoke odors that I would not have critisized if they wouldn't have tried to make us responsable of their negligence. The newspapers and internet will know about that and if this $100.00 is not taken off my card, there will be a court audition about it even if I have to drive 300 miles as many times as it takes but they will not get away with such a lack of respect. I must add that the 2 children were the opposite of their parents and seemed concerned about the numerous problems that they were causing us but naturally, they couldn't overpass the orders...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank Yvon S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Truro, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We had hoped to camp for one night but our tiny tent was dwarfed out by a full park of RV;s. So we opted for a room that was a good price, but obviously bare bones.Depending on what you want, the location is prime, and the price is amazing. But if you are used to any type of luxury, avoid this motel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Not a Fancy Place but in the city limits had all the connections very rustic ...Older but has a Pool ..... Staff excellent very helpful. Next Door 24 hour grocery store

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
4 Thank ukyrobert
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

Nice place to stay with good location clean rooms ,swimming pool,beautiful park like setting outside. Good value and I will return again.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank trav154995
Sudbury, ON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

I should have listened to my instincts after meeting the motel manager, what a sleazy seeming character. While we were booking the room, he was going on and on about how his prices were better than the other motels, and how terrible the other motels were in comparison to his. How annoying. I didn't want him to feel like a fool, so I didn't tell him that I had already been shopping around and knew he was full of it. We only stayed here because our friends were already here.
The room was very dark, very old looking. It was obvious it hadn't been remodeled in some time. My boyfriend went to use the bathroom and found a surprise in the toilet. Yuk! We were there for North Rocks the Bay Weekend, so we didn't spend much time in the room. Our last night there, the people in the room next to ours came back with a bunch of people around 2 or 3am and woke us up. They decided to invite some people back for a party. My boyfriend banged on the wall telling them to quiet down, and they were screaming at him through the walls. Then came out banging on our door and window.
If you want a nice place to stay, or even a decent one at that. I recommend going else where. This place was a total night mare. We will never be back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends