“Surprising quality and ambience in a strip mall.”
Review of Stone Road Grille - CLOSED

Stone Road Grille
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Return annually because of food and service. Located in a strip mall but once you enter you are in a fine dining restaurant with an extensive menu and wine list. Quiet ambiance and excellent service. Food is delicious.

Reviewed August 17, 2010

We had a very nice lunch at Rest. I was recommended to us by a tour guide at one of the wineries. We ordered 2 of the pizzas, both of which were quite tasty and unusual. My neice ordered the chicken basil pasta, which she loved. My sister and I shared a bowl of the corn chowder with lobster. It was amazing, but it should be at $18 per bowl. We also shared a cheese plate. It was very good, but the portions were very small for the $16 price tag. We truly enjoyed the food we had, but were very surprised at the pricing. Lunch for 4 was $100 and we drank water...

1  Thank LakeHighlandsMom
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We have been to many restaurants in the Niagara-on-the-Lake area over the last 15 years and were excited to hear so many good comments about Stone Road Grille. My husband and I went for dinner last year in September and it was packed. We had great food with very so-so service. Then we decided to try it again this past week while back out in Niagara for some plays at the Shaw with friends. We had a winery recommend them for lunch so we thought we'd try again. When we walked in they were only half full so we thought we'd definitely get better service. Unfortunately, we were wrong. We got our drinks and bread and soup fairly quickly after ordering. But then we waited 45 minutes for our main food, with no explanation from the waiter for the delay. Other parties around us ordered, ate, had dessert, and left and we were still waiting for our food. We would have loved to try the peach dessert, but never got the chance. 75 minutes for lunch with no coffee and no dessert while not busy was more than we could take, so we asked for our check, waited while the chef placed a food order for dinner and tied up the phone so they couldn't run our credit card and then finally paid and left. We didn't get refills on water even after asking and never got several items we requested. Our waiter had time to talk with other patrons, but was very inattentive. He acted as if we were lucky to be there. They need to be a little less pretentious and focus more on service.

1  Thank bargriffin
Reviewed August 15, 2010

First-Reservations are REQUIRED! We stayed in a cottage across the street from this restaurant and it is packed every night. And be on time. If you are, be prepared for a great meal. My wife and daughters went one night and everything we had was great. I had the "Summer Shepard's Pie" which was sauteed summer vegetables with goat cheese mashed potatoes on top and two very thick lamb chops. My wife had the fired chicken. One daughter had the Mussel Appetizer as her main dish (it comes with fries!), and my other daughter had the Risotto Appetizer (Chanterelles). We shared the Charcuterie Plate as our appetizer. The plate was very good, but don't expect a big plate full of meats, cheeses, and veggies. There are four different meats (you get three very thin slices of each), three or four olives, two tiny pickled leeks, etc. You DO get a very good dollop of goose liver pate mousse (save some bread for this). The desserts were very good. I had the sorbets (ice wine must and cassis), my wife had the cotton candy, and we shared the panna cotta. If you are in the area, this place is a must.

Reviewed August 9, 2010

Highly recommended. Loved our amazing dinner here. Went here on the suggestion of our B&B hosts, who also made the reservation for us. Great experience.