“A gem”
Review of Old Firehall

Old Firehall
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Casual Dining in the heart of wine country.
Reviewed August 9, 2014

My family came upon this restaurant after not being able to get a table at the winery restaurant next door. Both the service and the food were excellent. All three of us were very pleased we our dinners.

There are newer reviews for Old Firehall

Reviewed August 9, 2014

We happened upon the Old Firehall on a very rainy day as we were looking for lunch. It's small (8-10 tables) and we weren't sure we'd get in. We did, and were we ever glad! In fact, we liked it so much we went back for lunch the next two days too! George, the waiter, could not have been more helpful and attentive. The third time we went back we decided to sit on the patio and enjoy the outdoors. We asked George what he would recommend that we hadn't already tried, and he pointed us to two of the wraps. (We had tried the saganaki, salads, and French onion soup on previous days). We were never disappointed in anything we tried. If you want to go for dinner, make sure you make reservations.

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Amazing escargot comparable to Paris and the pasta was great. My husband had the calamari and agreed that it was equally delicious. Thanks to the great service and the chef for the amazing evening out! Wine selection was nice too.

1  Thank Ashley M
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Show up to grab a bite to eat on the patio. Waitress was friendly enough. I ordered a salad with no onions. I sent it back. She brought out our bruschetta; it was four slices of thick (+1") dry bread with flour coating the whole bottom of it, with maybe a tbsp of bruschetta on top. It was dry and extremely unappealing. After the items were sent back the waitress sent out the manager. I apologized and he said "no problem, but you're not welcome back."
I couldn't help but laugh and tell him not to worry cuz I would DEF not be back. I meet a lot of people in my job who ask where I recommend. Well....they can expect that I will NOT be giving them positive reviews.
To sum it up, over-priced and terrible quality and management.

1  Thank Gwenny1991
oldfirehall, Owner at Old Firehall, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Thank you for your review. In your review you believe the quality and management have gone downhill over the last year or two due to the meal you ordered and received. I can assure you this is not the case. The Items you mentioned in your review have been staples of our establishment since the beginning 20 yrs. ago and have not changed in that time. We use the same ingredients we have always used. That being said, I personally recall your situation and it was quite obvious to us from the difficulty you gave the waitress from the outset, that you had just come to complain about something . Perhaps the fact you were chain smoking while eating had something to do with the flavour of the bruschetta, you did not order your greek salad without onions as you said, and that was not your complaint to the waitress, your complaint and the reasoning behind you sending it back was that the tomatoes were to chunky as you put it. We removed the items from your bill as a courtesy and we asked you not to come back because it was obvious to us, that we could not ever satisfy a person like yourself, and the fact that you waited an entire 2 weeks to post this review even after we removed the items from your bill assures us that we made the right decision. We wish you the best of luck in your dining endeavours.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

After living in the area for 7 years we finally decided to try this small but mighty restaurant tucked away in the St. Davids area of Niagara on the Lake. The menu was diverse covering a Mediterranean flare. There were 4 of us and we tried 3 different dishes plus a shared appetizer of Saganaki. All were very tasty and did not disappoint. The wines, both red and white, available by the glass offered a good selection of local fare and the Cabernet Sauvignon we tried was delicious. The restaurant is very small but does manage to have a bar and separate dining area as well as an outdoor patio. Being very hot and humid we choose to stay indoors. The only negative I would mention is the comfort of the chairs. They are metal and do not encourage diners to linger over coffee and dessert.

1  Thank JMBennoch