“WONDERFUL SPOT!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cecile's House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Cecile's House
Arlington, Virginia
“WONDERFUL SPOT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

We have spent a long weekend with friends for the past six years at Cecile's House and we find it better every year. The ambience is superb and I dream of the delicious breakfast and homemade scones throughout the year.

Room Tip: The largest room is definitely the most luxurious and fun to be in, but we have tried them all and e...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

For 8 years, 3 couples have been spending 3 or 4 nights around Labour Day to see some Shaw plays and to enjoy the food and wine of the Niagara region. For the last 6 years we have come to rely on Chris Martineau at Cecile's House. Our experiences have been uniformly excellent. Chris creates a superb breakfast with great fresh fruits, clafouti, scones, chocolate toast among other more conventional elements. He also has a small frig and living room which we use to hold our daily happy hour before dinner. He offers great insight into the local restaurants and attractions, which have always proved very helpful to our plans.
Cecile's House is very centrally located such that we can walk to any of the theartres and many good restaurants. I recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: The master's suite is the biggest and best, albeit the most expensive.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

After speaking with Chris, the host, and having recently stayed, I couldn’t believe I hadn’t yet written about Cecile’s House B&B. I think I know why... I don’t want to let the secret out for fear it’ll be constantly booked up when I’ll want to return. I’ve been staying on and off at Cecile’s House (or at least try to make it once a year) since 2001, the opening year. The location of this Edwardian home of 3 bedrooms is in a perfect (by which I highlight “quiet”) spot.
The front porch is a perfect place for reading, talking with friends or having a glass of local wine from one of the many wineries around. If you don’t have the means to go to a winery, there’s a liquor store not 1 km away on Queen Street – one of the most gorgeous streets I’ve ever seen in my life.... Back to the B&B... the garden has a fountain in it which makes a great addition for a Zen experience.
The decor of the B&B has always been fantastic as I remember it to be. The “lobby” has been upgraded last year to a more modern/contemporary look without losing its classic touch. The rooms are beautiful and the beds are super-comfortable. They are clouds appointed with the softest, finest linens. You get the type of sleep that you don’t want to wake from. I remember driving back from a vacation in Utah in 2006, and as soon as I came to Cecile’s House, I went to bed and woke up 6 hours later...from a nap!
The breakfast display is beyond words and I would hate to point out what it is because there’s so much to offer and it changes every day. It would be difficult to talk about only 1 thing..however I’m here to talk about it, so here goes: Chris (who used to be – and still is- first and foremost – a French Chef) uses a lot of fresh local Niagara-On-the-Lake produce and freshly picked fruit (or of the season) to make his delectable breakfasts with. Whether it is a pear and raisin clafoutis, or a simple fresh fruit salad with local peaches, homemade chocolate bread, homemade croissants, cheese and ham, yogurt, fresh cheese, hard-boiled eggs, and out-of-this-world orange/cranberry scones... you’ll find a large selection to suit your tastes. This display would make any other breakfast blush.
Chris is very knowledgeable when it comes to getting around NOTL and its wineries (that are growing exponentially). He offers maps and free wine-tasting coupons on selected wineries, should one show any interest. But who wouldn’t?
He also has an exquisite gift store, around the corner from the B&B. You can find a variety of gifts that would please anyone. Seriously....anyone! All products are of great quality and you get a discount when you tell the store keeper that you are staying at Cecile’s House.
Parking is free behind the B&B where you’ll discover another striking garden with a fountain to please the senses.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Vox-trotter
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Picked this B&B due to the reviews and wasn't disappointed. We were on a budget so choose the small room with private bath. We would have stayed longer but no availability. Book well in advance. Chris was very welcoming and payed alot of attention to decor and the breakfast presentation. Want to give special mention to his delicious homemade croissants. My favourite spot was the outside front deck. Nice to sit and have a bottle of wine before dinner. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Private bath is outside the room. En suite is inside the room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

What a beautiful home, over 100 years old with nice quirky touches like skeleton keys! The sitting area was very relaxing, we decided to have our champagne and sit and talk. It was so nice to sit in, we would have loved to sit outside on the awesome porch but the weather was way too cold. Chris did a great job welcoming us, he knew it was our anniversary so for our morning breakfast he wrote "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate on our plates. It was such a nice touch and it really made us smile. It is located in between the lake and Queen Street. Easy walking to everything you want to see and do. This is definitely a hidden gem!

Room Tip: The French room does NOT have a bathroom inside the room. You have use of the bathroom down the hall...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Orillia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

About 6 years ago I was walking to the Niagara Golf Club for lunch and passed Cecile's House. I was curious to see it; Chris was accommodating and showed my friends and I the living room and breakfast room. The downstairs was beautifully appointed; the location was also convenient to the theaters and downtown. You don't need to move your car after checking in! However, Cecile's House is constantly booked, but it's easy to see why. Chris is a perfect host, makes delicious croissants, (You don't need a morning alarm clock; the smell of French pastries in the oven is a wonderful way to wake up!), location is convenient, guest rooms are an excellent value, etc. It took me 3 years to get an August reservation but now I rebook with Chris for the following year without even knowing what the Shaw playbill will be! His new back patio with gurgling fountain and comfortable patio furniture is a great place for a cocktail before dinner and the theater. You can relax on the front porch too. His shop on the main street has beautiful hostess, birthday, holiday gifts; mention you're staying at Cecile's House and get a 10% discount. I always find special gifts for myself and friends. Cecile's House may be small - 3 guest rooms, but it's worth the effort to get that first reservation!

Room Tip: Get reservation first, then check the playbill and rebook right away for next year.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Mentor, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

We love this place and brought friends with us this time. We stayed in the master suite which has two bedrooms with a door between. Chris has done some redecorating which looks nice. If you want a certain date and room, you need to book early.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends