“PERFECT BLISS!!”

Brockamour Manor Bed and Breakfast
Toronto
“PERFECT BLISS!!”
Reviewed September 8, 2009

On Saturday, July 18th, 2009, I awoke to a lovely summer morning and was expecting to visit with my daughter-in-law, Shelly and my son, Matthew, at their home outside of Toronto, for a visit with her mom, Sita, as she was flying in from New York City that day. Our family is not the most formal, nor are we by nature morning people, so when I got the e-mail invitation from Shelly, to join them all for a weekend breakfast visit, I thought it kind of odd but nonetheless, I gladly accepted and created a fancy fruit dessert to take along.
Well - my day did not go as I had expected: Instead, a person dressed up as a limo driver appeared at my door. Of course I knew immediately that it was my daughter, Tracey (you'd have to know our family for that to make sense), bearing news that I had been foiled (not the first time:)) and that I had five minutes to pack a suitcase and include only the things from a list provided to me. Then, almost simultaneously, my two other daughters, Colleen and Shelly arrived at my doorstep as the "limo driver" ran down the driveway to "pimp" my ride. Yes it's true - Tracey (with the help of her hubby, Randy,) converted their ordinary family mini-van into the most exotic, fur-lined, plush floor, soft cushioned comfort, windows darkened and draped in mystery by dozens of feet of ebony fabric, miniature strands of starlit magic, gourmet treats and non-alcoholic champagne, (which we all would testify gave us a buzz, but the truth is we were all a little giddy and high on imagination and excitement), in all an atmosphere was created and I was a willing participant.
So, just as I had been preparing to leave my home for Shelly and Matthew's with my fruit concoction in hand, my day went in a whole new direction - and I had no idea what direction we were going. When after about an hour's drive we arrived at the beautiful Brockamour Manor, I didn't think my excitement could be any more magnified but it was! I had heard the stories about the Brockamour from my daughter's previous stays and I felt so spoiled and pampered and I hadn't even made it past the driveway yet! I love this B&B and even though the pictures are great they don't do it justice. In person I could sense the beauty that is not always translated in photographs. Then upon entering the B&B and taking it all in I felt overwhelmed by the welcoming and homey atmosphere.
We made our way up to THE LOFT, (see the website for photos of the rooms: http://www.brockamour.com/roomrates.html), which was the perfect place for our noisy foursome! I immediately fell down on the bed and I didn`t think the girl`s would be able to get me back up as I had practically been buried in the luxury of a magnificent down comforter - now that is total luxury!! Our room had a huge bathroom with Jacuzzi tub and we enjoyed the feeling of complete privacy. I can see how this room would make a perfect romantic hideaway for lucky couples as well, even though it has two king size beds. Tracey had made us the most amazing homemade lunch boxes (a true Martha Stewart sans the criminal record:):) and we enjoyed eating these outside on the patio while enjoying the stunning scenery on the grounds of the Brockamour. Since our summer weather had been quite unpredictable up to that date, we were all so glad that the temperature was quite lovely for us all weekend.
I was treated by my thoughtful daughters (true, but still an understatement!) to a spa treatment across the road at the 100 Fountain Spa located in The Pillar and Post and I experienced a hot springs spa for the first time in my life! Another first for me was the surprise (they kept on coming!) carriage ride (yes a real horse and buggy - who needs NYC Central Park!) that evening that arrived to stroll us along the scenic route into the picture-postcard-perfect and historic town of Niagara-On-The-Lake.
I could go on and on about how thrilled I was with my fabulous birthday surprise - the beds were the most cosy and comfortable ever - the antics and the fun and laughter were unforgettable - the most beautiful setting and breathtaking scenery lives in my memories of the Brockamour and in the Niagara-On-The-Lake area - the breakfast Colleen and Rick served to us and other happy guests on Sunday morning was out of this world tasty, filling and talked about for days (as you can see even months later)!:) Let’s just put it this way, the “fancy” fruit dessert I had made, by comparison, was nothing fancy!:) The conversation among guests and hosts alike was natural and welcoming, reflecting the kindness and sincere desire of our amiable hosts for sharing this magical residence with we most fortunate travellers.
It is often said that it is not the destination that is important, it`s the journey. At the Brockamour Manor, it is the destination that enhances the journey and makes it all worthwhile! Perfect bliss indeed!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Reviewed July 12, 2009

One of the best B&B's we've visited. Lovely rooms, superb breakfasts, beautiful setting. The guests' area of the house included a game room with a pool table, large dining room and 2 porches with comfortable seating arrangements. There is wireless access in the house and the hosts provided a computer and printer for our use.

There were 8 people in our group; we stayed for 3 nights and we all enjoyed ourselves. While it's a bit of a walk (10 min) to Queen Street, it was well worth it. and we will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Niagara-on-the-lake is definitely a place you can visit to get away from a hectic city life. It is a very historic and quaint little town, with a distinctive British flavour. It is around 20mins from the Falls and so close enough to get there for a day, but also in the heart of the wine country.

Brockamour Manor is a terrific B&B which has many modern amenities whilst staying true to the history and decor of the manor itself. Rick and Colleen were fantastic hosts and served an awesome gourmet breakfast (ice-wine jelly anyone?). All in all a relaxing place to spend a weekend away.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Zoukie
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2008

We first stayed at Brockamour in August 2008 for a 3 - day getaway and came home totally rejeuvenated. This historic inn is beautiful; gracious and elegant with immaculately clean rooms and oh so comfy beds! Gardens are lovely and the inviting large verandah was perfect for relaxing. Hosts Rick and Colleen pay attention to the smallest of details and are delightful. Colleen's 4 course breakfasts are amazing and Rick is a font of knowledge about the history of the inn and attractions not to miss in the area.

We had stayed in another inn in NOTL in previous years, located on Queen St , and found Brockamour to far exceed what the other offered.
After a busy day exploring , shopping and enjoying the Shaw festival , it was lovely to stroll back up from the main street past the beautiful homes and gardens and relax in the peaceful surroundings of this inviting property. We also enjoyed very much chatting with the other guests at breakfast in the beautiful dining room , (who came from various parts of the world) and hearing of the attractions they had visited in the area during their stay.

We returned in October 2008 with 11 guests when we booked the entire inn for one night to celebrate our recent wedding. The inn was just as beautiful in the fall and our guests all agreed Brockamour has something VERY special to offer. The billiard table was a big hit that night when we stayed up in to the wee small hours, as was the crackling fire we got going to sit around and relax by with wine and cheese.

There is nothing that Colleen and Rick have overlooked to make a stay at Brockamour a memorable experience and we will definitely return to enjoy more of the same. We just hope we will be able to "get in" , as we are recommending it to everyone we know !!

• Liked — everything!
  • Disliked — that we had to leave!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
winnipeg
Reviewed October 18, 2008

Six couples from Winnipeg arrived to take over Brockamour Manor, explore Niagara-on-the-Lake, rent bikes and go biking in the Niagara Peninsula including to Niagara Falls, and visit the many vineyards in the Niagara Peninsula. A wonderful time was had by all! Brockamour Manor has a great location, a very short distance from the main street in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and immediately beside the bike trail leading from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Niagara Falls and beyond. Broackamour Manor is a character, heritage property, but the rooms are all VERY spacious, tastefully decorated, with modern bathroom conveniences, including double jacuzzi tubs. Colleen was an absolutely wonderful inn-keeper and her breakfasts are amazing. We visit many beds and breakfasts in many different places - we have never been treated to such elaborate and scrumptious breakfasts. You will be absolutely spoiled. The house also has a reading-TV-games room, a wide veranda (our group spent quite a bit of time sipping wine and eating local cheese on the veranda). We absolutely felt completely at home at Brockamour Manor - at all times of the day. (Many bed and breakfasts make you feel unwelcome during the daytime, or otherwise are not places you would want to retreat to for a lunch on a veranda - Brockamour Manor is just the opposite. The grounds are large, and with the hedges, there is very much a feeling of being in a rural or secluded setting as you enjoy your stay. Well done Colleen - we recommend Brockamour Manor with great enthusiasm!

• Liked — spacious, felt comfortable at all times of the day, incredible breakfasts
  • Disliked — Niagara-on-the-Lake needs to add more bike trails
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed October 2, 2008

The Brockamour Manor was a beautiful B&B with comfortable bedrooms, a large veranda and lots of special touches for guests.

The hosts, Rick and Coleen, did everything possible to make our stay special and the four course breakfast saved us a fortune - we didn't have to eat any lunch!

It is an absolute travesity that Niagara on the Lake big wigs are not supporting wonderful B&Bs like this. Chatting to Rick I understand they are going to allow souless chain hotels to compete with the guest houses. The B&Bs are also not allowed to serve food after midday - such a shame as afternoon tea on the veranda would have been lovely.

We came to Niagara on the Lake because of the B&Bs. It's time the council starting looking after them or will risk putting off visitors like ourselves.

• Liked — The hosts
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed August 25, 2008

From the moment we were greeted at the door and given a tour and fascinating history lesson, we were made to feel right at home by Rick and Colleen, our very hospitable innkeepers. We stayed in the Loft Suite on the 3rd floor which was beautiful & luxurious (with a great whirlpool bath), notwithstanding a few minor "head bumps" on the slanted ceilings.

Breakfasts were delicious and creative and the company and conversations with travelers from all over the world really added to the experience. Add to that the beautiful grounds, porch and patio where you could sit, sip some wine, eat some cheese and enjoy the atmosphere.

What a great experience!!

• Liked — The B&B Experience
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple