“A Gem in Niagara”

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“A Gem in Niagara”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Try booking decent accommodation at an affordable price anywhere in the Niagara region during the summer and you will most probably run into a brick wall of frustration and disappointment. Well, heaven was smiling upon me when I discovered this hidden gem tucked in the heart of Niagara-on-the-Lake and yet, seems so far away from the hustle and bustle of tourist traffic ... a home away from home. This reservation was for our out-of-town guests and our first time using a B&B in Niagara-on-the-Lake, but we were all so pleasantly surprised at the quality/value of the accommodation (2 bedroom suite with private entrance) and all the comforts of home and more. I have always avoided B&Bs, of having to tip-toe around the place in order not to disturb our Host and eating breakfast at a communal table. Here at Williams Gate these issues are of no consequence since the suites have private entrances, breakfast (a Feast for both eye and stomach) is served in-suite at a time of our choosing, and best of all, meeting Anca Buture, the quintessential host with the perfect blend of professionalism and genuine warmth. Our guests had only one complaint ... their stay was too short. And as for me, I found a home for future guests, and last but not least, I got to know Anca ... the heart and soul of Williams Gate!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank LiuAvakian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 11, 2014

If you want to stay at a B&B that is roomy, pristine, attractive and accommodating, I can highly recommend Williams Gate. My friend and I stayed in the 2nd floor suite which was more like an apartment with a large bedroom with 2 queen-size beds, large bathroom, good size kitchen area, and living room all attractively decorated. Breakfasts, which were delicious and filling, were brought to our suite. The owner was so friendly and helpful making sure our room was ready when we arrived early in the afternoon, asking us if the temperature was OK in our room, and genuinely wanting to make our stay as nice as possible. All in all a wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were two couples who rented the main floor with 2 bedrooms, at living room, kitchen and bathroom. You have everything you need for a stay and the beds were very comfortable. This B&B is in a quiet neighbourhood and an easy 10-minute walk to downtown and the Shaw Festival theatres. Anca the owner is a very warm and welcoming hostess, who is very knowledgeable about the town and provided us with lots of useful information and promos for a variety of events. The breakfasts were excellent. We were well fed and the meals were very good. You can't go wrong booking a room at this location.

Room Tip: Any room would be good as the B&B is in a very quiet neighbourhood.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lubnatsi
Groton, New York
Reviewed June 20, 2014

A friend and I stayed at Williams Gate B&B last weekend, arriving on Friday afternoon and leaving on Sunday. We decided on this B&B due to its central location in the town. It is within walking distance to just about everything, and only 4 blocks from Queen Street.

I can’t say enough about the owner, Anca. She is so personable, and it was very obvious that she cares a great deal about the comfort of her guests. She spent time with us when we arrived answering our questions about the area as well as filling us in on our suite. We stayed in the one bedroom suite, which is the entire upstairs portion of the home. The first word that comes to mind is charming; she decorates with a very personal touch. The beds are very comfortable (queen size!) and there are plenty of pillows. I honestly can’t think of anything that was lacking – there is a dispenser in the shower with shampoo, conditioner, and liquid soap; a hair dryer; robes and slippers, if needed; and even little chocolates in the kitchen! The wireless internet was much appreciated since that allowed us to keep in touch with our families in NYS without having to rack up roaming charges on our cell phones.

There are also five parking spaces (two beside the house, three in back) so you don’t have to worry about parking on the street. There is a separate entrance at the back of the house; the only thing to be aware of with this suite is the fact that there are 14 rather steep steps to climb to get to it. Her other suite is on the main level and only has six easy steps in case that makes a difference to anyone.

I can’t finish the review without talking about the food. Anca’s cooking is incredible and she, again, adds little personal touches which make the meals look almost too good to eat. But, thankfully, that didn’t stop us, and we had two amazing breakfasts. On a side note, we had to be somewhere by 9am on Saturday, and she kindly arranged to bring the food up a little early so we could enjoy it without rushing. I loved the fact that breakfast was served in our suite, so we were able to relax and eat at our leisure in the kitchen. I have never had pineapple pancakes before, but I don’t think I’ll ever eat them any other way again! Anca mentioned that she shares her recipes on Pinterest, so I started following all of her boards so I can try some of the recipes myself.

This was my first time in NOTL, but it definitely won’t be my last; and I will be staying at Williams Gate for sure. I’m hoping to visit in the off-season, maybe Fall, early winter next time. I hope if you’re reading this, you decide to stay at Williams Gate…you will NOT be disappointed!

Room Tip: As mentioned in my review, be aware of the steep stairs to get to the upstairs suite; the downstairs...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Warm welcome, delicious breakfasts, comfortable surroundings, irenic atmosphere, 10-15 min. walk to all theaters, restaurants, gellato shops, and all manner of shopping experiences, set midst verdant vineyards with ample tasting opportunities.
NOTL is a travelers delight and Williams Gate is a splendid place from which to explore it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We stopped for one night in Niagara on the Lake and stayed in one of the apartments. I was really impressed at the size of the apartment and how well equipped it was. It was extremely clean and comfortable, and the hostess was very helpful. I would definitely stay there again, and would recommend it to everyone.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2014

John and Irene,

This was our ninth year staying at Williams Gate. Calling it a bed and breakfast is a bit of a misnomer. It is a small apartment and breakfast. It is perfect for the late risers who do not want to be up early and ready to socialize. Anca is always the perfect hostess with wonderful breakfasts served in the privacy of your own little apartment. This is the best value for the money in NOTL. We highly recommend it.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family