“Wrong Price Point”

A Vineyard View Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Friendly owners, good breakfast, but the B&B was not up to par with others we've stayed at in the area for the same price point. Old thin towels, flat pillows, no shampoo, rooms are cramped. I always like the big fluffy, guest towels and extra amenities like nice soaps....this was a miss for me.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 20, 2011

Good service, clean and charming room and an overall warm atmosphere. My boyfriend and I stayed and this lovely B&B the last week of june and not only was the weather perfect but so was the accommodation.
Can't wait to see that view again!

Room Tip: There are 3 rooms and 2 of them have a view make sure to ask which 2.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2011

We have been staying at the Vineyard View Bed&Breakfast for the past five years each August. We can honestly say that we have enjoyed every moment of all our visits. Barb&Denis have been as accomodating as one can possibly be and have provided us with extremely relaxing and comfortable weekends each time. Comfort, cleanliness, friendliness, great food, and most of all sincerity is what it is all about. That is what you get at Vineyard View.

Room Tip: Let it all hang out and relax.
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I feel I must write this in response to the last two negative responses. My husband and I (plus 2 other couples) regularly visit A Vineyard View in August to attend the Lobsterfest at Caroline Cellars. We have been doing this for the last 4 or 5 years. I cannot think of a single bad thing to say about Barb, Denis, and their B & B. We have always been warmly welcomed, had magnificent rooms (we have stayed in two of the three bedrooms), and enjoyed fantastic breakfasts. We have made excellent use of the sitting room, gazebo and porch (for visits and to share some local wine). We have stayed in other B & Bs, including some in Europe, and find that A Vineyard View is certainly one of the best. I can sympathize with the owners regarding the use of candles and the pool.
In my town, a teacher once destroyed half of a school by leaving an unattended candle.
Insurance and liability are huge issues. Personally, I don't visit the wine country in order to go swimming. Caroline Cellars is only a five minute walk away. I have another visit planned to this B & B in August. Keep up the great work, Barb and Denis!

Room Tip: Book early. This is a wonderful getaway!
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2009

As the title says, this was the worst B&B I have even been to and would not recommend it to anyone.

We were "welcomed" by the owner, led up stairs and told we could come and go as we please. No welcome to Niagara on the lake, how was your drive, where are you from..nadda!!

I will list further disappointments as they arose...

1. A laminated "rule" sheet telling us not to open the windows as to keep the "air" in. However, there was no air!
2. Fan on dresser was on when we entered...(why bother if the air is on?), and was full of about 2 inches of dirt (circulating along with the fan air.
3. No towels in bathroom (had to grab them from the hall - raggedy/dingy...)
4. We peeked out the window to the back yard ( "Vineyard "View". yet the rules said don't open windows OR curtains/blinds!) to find a lovely pool with kids/family playing, and a big sign saying "Family only, not for B&B guests.
5. Front porch had several ashtrays full of cig butts, hanging plants that were dead (we moved them for picture taking).
6. Sitting on the front porch to enjoy some bubbly, FYI we had just gotten engaged the night prior (where I must note that we stayed at "Wine Country B&B" on John street (we would go back in a heart beat!), we watched as the owner drove her kid around on an ATV on the side/front of the property.
7. The owner (husband) picking away at the banjo in the garage. (again, feeling like we are intruding on a party)...
8. Breakfast (ok effort, but pretty lame in comparisson to our Breaky at the Inn on John Street...). Concentrated OJ with an ice cube, weak coffee, cold hash browns, soso pancakes, mini frozen quiche...brutal...
9. Not once did they ask us how anything was, or said if we need anything let them know,etc...
10. TACKY, TACKY TACKY!!

All this to say...IF the owners even attempted to make us feel remotely welcome, we might not have thought so poorly of them/the B&B..or have written this review.
To the contraire..we were made to feel like intruders in their home.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ferah_09
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I recently stayed at A Vineyard View B & B in the beautiful Niagara-on-the-Lake wine region. I have to say that I would book different accommodations the next time I visit the region. While it was attractively decorated, this B & B lacked some fundamentals to justify its price. I call it the "teaser" B & B because there were things that were off-limits. For one, there were several decorative candles adorning the tiny bedroom and bathroom but a sign posted on the wall stated that they were not to be lit due to fire regulations. Okay, disappointment #1: this was an anniversary weekend for us and it would have been nice to light a candle. In my 41 years, I've never set a room on fire from a candle. Disappointment #2 was the basket of VHS movies next to the TV in the upstairs sitting room but no VCR to play them. The host said he didn't know where it was and would have to wait for his wife to come home. (The machine never did appear during the three nights we stayed there though their listing on the online B & B directory indicated a VCR was available). Disappointment #3 (and this was a biggie) came in the form of the backyard aboveground pool that was very inviting given the heat and humidity of the wine region in the summer (I was sweating buckets)...BUT guests are not allowed to use the pool because the owners don't want to pay the extra insurance. Disappointment #4 (and this was a biggie too) was the sweltering heat in our bedroom even though the air conditioning was supposedly turned out. We had a hard time sleeping, and, if we opened the window, the noise of the traffic out front, or the rooster crowing in the morning, disturbed our slumber.

The "vineyard view" was of farmer-run vineyards and not wineries. So my plan of being able to walk to wine-tastings wasn't quite as I'd hoped, although you can walk or bike to the nearby Caroline's Cellars which offers some pleasant wines, (including the yummy Pinot-Cherry - we bought 4 bottles of that).

To be fair to the owners, the guest book in our room was filled with compliments on the decor, the delicious breakfasts, and the hospitality of the hosts. No one mentioned anything about sleeping in a stuffy hot room, or wishing they could have used the pool.

So while A Vineyard View is very clean and displays a certain elegance (though I could do without the fake butterflies and grapes lining the bannister), it didn't meet all of my expectations, especially not for an anniversary weekend.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank love2leavetown
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We were looking for an affordable place to stay in the wine region of Niagara. We ended up booking here because all of the other reasonable bed and breakfasts were booked up. It cost us $100 a night, canadian. It was well worth it. The owners were very helpful and the room was perfect (very clean). Breakfast was delicious. Barbara, the owner even cooked our breakfast according to our dietary restrictions. In addition the b and b is set in the vineyards, so it was something unique.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple